✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
scottisimo said:
I have two problems with the teaching that Adam and Eve couldn't (or wouldn't) reproduce without sinning. First, as has already been pointed out, God never gives a commandment that cannot be obeyed.

This goes to the heart of the LDS concept of the plan of salvation. LDS maintain it was part of a logical structure by which God could fulfill his purposes. The basic premise is yes, the commandment could be fulfilled, but only by breaking a lesser law. We teach that the fall of Adam was a necessary part of the plan of salvation.

scottisimo said:
God commanded Adam and Even to reproduce, therefore they were capable of reproduction. They didn't need to disobey God first (eating of the forbidden tree) in order to obey (reproduction). And as I explained above, a moral being doesn't need to experiencially know sin in order to be righteous.

Adam and Eve had know knowledge of good and evil. They could not sin, they were incapable of it. It was only after they partook of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good an evil that it became possible for them to sin.

scottisimo said:
My second problem with this teaching is the fallacy of your logic. God didn't just tell Adam and Eve to reproduce, but also to fill the earth. However, God wasn't worried about "limited resources" or "over-population". Those are only problems we face because much of the world is living outside God's kingdom. They are also problems that God has a solution for in his redemptive plan. However, to conjecture that eternal beings couldn't reproduce because eventually there'd be too many of them is nonsense. We have to understand God's intention for creation. Ultimately, God intended to instruct Adam and Eve and all their descendants in His purposes for them and the creation. As has already been discussed, our purpose (and yes, I believe there are more than one) is to give glory to God. Translation from christianese to English: We give glory to God when we obey God's commandments according to our design. (That's why God didn't tell Adam and Eve to fly around and lay eggs.) We cooperate in accomplishing God's will. We allign our free will to God's.

That's an interesting theory. But to claim that is what is taught in the Bible is just adding spin. If you want me to accept that hypothesis, you need to show me some scripture.

This, of course, is the problem with the Genesis account. It is very brief and doesn't expound on the key issues.

We still have the problem of why A&E didn't reproduce whilst in the GoE. For me, the "they didn't get around to it yet" argument just doesn't wash.

scottisimo said:
This same blessing/commandment/promise is the theme of the entire Bible. God gives the same blessing to Noah after the flood (and after the fall). God promises that he will make Abraham and Sarah's descendants as many as the stars in the sky and the sand on the shore. God is the creator of nations. There are also the two stories of Jesus feeding the 5000 and 4000. The disciples lacked faith in God the Father; Jesus didn't. Nowhere in the Bible does God let on that He doesn't have a plan for man after we should fill the earth. On the contrary, God's plan is to establish his kingdom over all the earth, and God envisions this kingdom in Rev 7:9 as "a great multitude which no man could number".

The difference, of course, is that Noah wasn't in the GoE.

scottisimo said:
I hope I've explained myself clear enough. Let me know if this is confusing.

I probably will need to explain the entire LDS PoV on this at a later date otherwise we may not be on the same plate.

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
scottisimo said:
This is what you wrote earlier: "Each of us individually are taught to receive personal revelation and guidance from the Holy Ghost without the aid of man made commentaries trying to guide us in what to believe."

I don't take that as praise for manmade commentaries. But let me restate my point further down.

Okay, I take your point. Commentaries are fine, but as a basis for understanding and not as a basis for belief. It seems to me that many people I come across seem to elevate the writings of others about scripture almost to the level of scripture itself. I'll ask them about a scripture and the first thing they do is look for someone elses commentary on that scripture to understand it's meaning.

scottisimo said:
You also wrote: "If Orthodox Christianity were truly interested in a unity of faith, all the different denominations would instruct their adherents to discard all the commentaries of men such as Calvin, Luther, Wesley etc and to trust in the HG to guide them into all truth independently without having other people tell them what to believe or what the scriptures mean. This would lead to an eventually abandonment of man-made creeds and lead all Christians to trust and seek for personal revelation from God."

These manmade creeds and commentaries are simply statements of what the fellowship of Christians believes. They are not calling believers to stray from the Bible. That's not their purpose. They are explaining the personal revelation of men who truly sought to know God.

These commentaries go much further than that. They are used as articles of definitive belief within those circles and are elevated often almost to the status of scripture.

scottisimo said:
I think you know what I mean. JS published lots of literature. Why doesn't the LDS encourage its members to discard his writings? (Remember that your solution for the non-LDS church is for us to discard writings by Luther, Calvin, Wesley, etc.)

Actually, JS didn't publish a lot of material. We have the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price. But very little from JS directly. There is a book called Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith but it is not widely circulated. We are encouraged to read the scriptures directly and limit our reading of other materials. There are only five books expounding our doctrines that are published by the church and one of them is a history book.

Compare this (for example) with the SDA church which publishes an enourmous number of books written by Ellen G. White.

scottisimo said:
I've read writings by theologians who show a very sincere desire to receive divine revelation in their investigations and to share what they've learned with a larger audience. Gregory Boyd, CS Lewis and Darrow Miller come to mind. Also, a theologian must work on the basis of their intelligence. God gave us intelligence, not that we would be foolish, but that we would use our intelligence to investigave the manifestations of God. Of course we depend on God for confirmation and correction.

Fundamentally I agree. However, these people can really only receive revelation for themselves. No one can set themselves up as a prophet.
[BIBLE]Hebrews 5:4[/BIBLE]

scottisimo said:
You also wrote: "One can learn more in five minutes this way than in years of intellectual study of Calvinistic interpretation (for example)."

This would work if we were all perfect receptors of personal revelation. Yet you are very good at pointing out that Calvin's personal revelation is not correct. (I'm not Calvinist.) We can think we've learned a lot in private meditation. However, because our beliefs shape the way we behave and interact with others, we always end up sharing our personal revelation with others, whether verbally or non-verbally. We learn from others that we are right, and sometimes we learn that we are wrong. Or in other words, we learn when we have truly received divine revelation or when we've just been thinking what sounds good to us. We must share our personal revelations to learn from others. And that's the point I said I'd make earlier.

Again, some excellent points here. This is one of the reasons our church is structured the way it is - to give the maximum opportunities for us to edify each other. We shouldn't require people accept what we say just because we say it. We should gain independent confirmation ourselves.

As you say, we are not perfect receptors of the HG. That is an important point. Sometimes it may take years for us to accept a particular doctrine or teaching, or worse, to unlearn an incorrect one. I have been taught false doctrine by well meaning people in our church. For many years these were a stumbling blockj for me. Fortunately, because I read the scriptures independently, my HF was able to point out these errors in doctrine through the HG. I was able to cast them aside and progress from there. For each false belief I cast away, the HG worked more fully with me. This also enables me to listen to others no matter what the source, and independently study and ask God to guide me into truth.

scottisimo said:
In the course of one of these meetings, have you ever come to the conclusion that what you received in a personal revelation was actually wrong?

Never. Not once I received a witness of those things.

Over the course of time I have had to fine tune my testimony as I have studied and learnt more. Sometimes that means going back to basics. That's something I've had to do on four occasions.

Upvote 0

scottisimo

Sep 21, 2003
Nicaragua
✟206.00
Faith
Protestant
Swart, I think quoting your message would just take us in circles. Also, I'm not going to be visiting here frequently for a while, so I just want to give some final thoughts.

Throughout church history, many people have contributed to orthodoxy. And of course, I agree with some and disagree with others. I actually have a very shallow understanding of the history of orthodoxy.

However, no denomination within Christianity declares that they are the only true church. They don't claim that other demoninations have apostasized. However, isn't that the basis of the LDS? Didn't Joseph Smith claim that the Christian church had apostasized, and that is why Jesus appeared in the Americas to start his church?

This was the first thing that made me suspicious of the LDS. IMO, JS set himself up as a prophet, claiming to be called by Jesus. He rejected all other churches where he lived. The reformers didn't do this.

It comes down to the way God works. Yes, God established his church and is preparing and preserving her until the New Jerusalem. There also exist countless little churches, or congregations, within several denominations. I believe God wants to bring change to each church, each congregation. (I think you understand this, although we may have serious disagreements in what is biblical truth.) When Joseph Smith was looking for a church, the wrong attitude would have been, "Do I feel comfortable in this church?" We shouldn't look for the church that most accomodates to us. The right attitude would have been, "What does God want to teach me at this church? How can I use my gifts to bless this church?" We should seek to give to the church we join, not expect to receive.

I really don't know what JS's attitude was before he had his encounter with God (although I don't believe he received the BOM from God). Maybe you could tell better what his attitude was. And please try to avoid coloring the story with how he was persecuted. Just focus on Joseph Smith's choices and attitudes.

Thanks,
Scott

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
The establishment of the CoJCoLDS is unique in modern Christianity. It requires a number of binary conclusions - they are either one way or another - they can't be both:

1. JS either had a miraculous vision or he was a fraud
  2. If you accept he had a miraculous vision the it was either from God or Satan
If number two, then "by their fruits ye shall know them". The teachings of the CoJCoLDS have lead enourmous numbers of people to Christ that never previously knew him and has drawn in many people that were already followers of Christ.

[BIBLE]1 Corinthians 12:3[/BIBLE]

Some people disingenuously claim that we therefore aren't Christians. I was a Christian and attended a Presbyterian Church before being baptised LDS. At what point did I stop becoming a Christian.

If we accept point one, then this was the most amazing fraud every committed in the history of the world. A fraud that brought perecution and murder to JS. We also have to assume one of the following:
  1. The Three Witnesses and The Eight Witnesses were part of the fraud
  2. They were somehow duped by JS
If we accept point 1, then we need to examine that in detail and particularly reconcile Martin Harris' "An address to all believers in Christ". That article has exteremely difficult questions for LDS and non-LDS alike.

If we accept point two, we have to work out how JS could manufacture gold plates and conjure up an angelic visit for the three witnesses.

Regardless of all this, the real proof is both in the pudding and the witness of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
scottisimo said:
Swart, I think quoting your message would just take us in circles. Also, I'm not going to be visiting here frequently for a while, so I just want to give some final thoughts.

Throughout church history, many people have contributed to orthodoxy. And of course, I agree with some and disagree with others. I actually have a very shallow understanding of the history of orthodoxy.

However, no denomination within Christianity declares that they are the only true church. They don't claim that other demoninations have apostasized. However, isn't that the basis of the LDS? Didn't Joseph Smith claim that the Christian church had apostasized, and that is why Jesus appeared in the Americas to start his church?
(The Catholic church claims to be the OTC, too, and that the rest of Christianity is apostate.)

This was the first thing that made me suspicious of the LDS. IMO, JS set himself up as a prophet, claiming to be called by Jesus. He rejected all other churches where he lived. The reformers didn't do this.

It comes down to the way God works. Yes, God established his church and is preparing and preserving her until the New Jerusalem. There also exist countless little churches, or congregations, within several denominations. I believe God wants to bring change to each church, each congregation. (I think you understand this, although we may have serious disagreements in what is biblical truth.) When Joseph Smith was looking for a church, the wrong attitude would have been, "Do I feel comfortable in this church?" We shouldn't look for the church that most accomodates to us. The right attitude would have been, "What does God want to teach me at this church? How can I use my gifts to bless this church?" We should seek to give to the church we join, not expect to receive.

I really don't know what JS's attitude was before he had his encounter with God (although I don't believe he received the BOM from God). Maybe you could tell better what his attitude was. And please try to avoid coloring the story with how he was persecuted. Just focus on Joseph Smith's choices and attitudes.

Thanks,
Scott
According to various historical accounts of Joseph Smith before he had the first vision, he was described as someone who was a loner, who preferred to sit with the Bible as opposed to participating in family activities. His father wanted his older brother to be a great preacher (even though the father is described (at times) as not holding to any religion, but looking for the "true church"), but that particular brother (Alvin) died at a young age. That Joseph Smith learned from his father that other churches weren't true and impacted his own search for truth is a theory that has been tossed around. As is that Joseph wanted his father's dreams of having a son who was to become a great preacher to come true.

During the time of the great revivals Joseph Smith spoke of, he said that many of the denominations were clamboring against each other, each claiming to be the "true church", wanting people to join them, and some of his family did join various denominations, but having heard from his father about looking for the "true church" all his life, Joseph was confused that all the denominations claimed to be "the true church", yet taught different theologies. (This paragraph is straight out of the sanitized church history. Maybe it is true, but there is historical evidence that it is not.)

There are a few books that can give you a glimpse of what Joseph Smith was like, but they were written years after the fact, so might be less factual due to the foibles of the human mind, but they cannot be posted here. If you want to PM me, I can send you the links.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Swart said:
Some people disingenuously claim that we therefore aren't Christians. I was a Christian and attended a Presbyterian Church before being baptised LDS. At what point did I stop becoming a Christian.
I don't think that anyone claims that individual Mormons are not Christian, as nobody can make that judgement. What is claimed is that there are (Biblical) teachings that have a better chance of leading someone to Christ than those teachings that are not Biblical in nature. (Which most of the teachings that separate LDS from mainstream Christianity are not.)

And, IMO, any church that claims exclusivity is not "the true church". Have some met Christ through the LDS church. My answer would be yes, but I would have to say more, that they met Christ in spite of it. :(

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
A New Dawn said:
There are a few books that can give you a glimpse of what Joseph Smith was like, but they were written years after the fact, so might be less factual due to the foibles of the human mind, but they cannot be posted here. If you want to PM me, I can send you the links.

I recommend the book "They knew the Prophet". Accounts from bit pro, anti and neutral people that had met and knew Joseph Smith. A great insight into the character of the man.

Upvote 0

Deren

Apr 12, 2005
Republic of Texas
Visit site
✟21,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Swart said:
The establishment of the CoJCoLDS is unique in modern Christianity. It requires a number of binary conclusions - they are either one way or another - they can't be both:
  1. JS either had a miraculous vision or he was a fraud
  2. If you accept he had a miraculous vision the it was either from God or Satan
How about JS had a fraudulent vision? You forgot that one Swart.;)

And if JS had a fraudulent vision, then does that necessarily mean that Satan was involved (although given what JS concocted, I have no doubt that Satan had a hand in it somewhere along the line), or that young Joe was just so enamored and influenced by what was going on during his day that in an effort to rationalize it all in his 14 year old brain, all kinds of things got jumbled up in his head? And that is one of the reasons why there are so many versions to his visions. In other words, one doesn't have to buy into your theory of "binary conclusions" so much as all one has to do is use some common sense and think through what was going on at the time that Joe made up his story, reflect back on what one was like when they was a young, impressionable, "skull full of mush," and do a little comparing what he says with what the Bible says. If one comes to any other conclusion than "Little Joe" was nothing more than a highly excitable boy, with a vivid imagination, that was highly impressionable, and he concocted a story that has many of the same elements floating around during his day, which were equally bogus, then you're gullible enough to believe just about anything, including Quakers on the moon, men on the sun, and salvation for the deceased. And I honestly pity you.

Upvote 0

Deren

Apr 12, 2005
Republic of Texas
Visit site
✟21,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Swart said:
I recommend the book "They knew the Prophet". Accounts from bit pro, anti and neutral people that had met and knew Joseph Smith. A great insight into the character of the man.

Lets see, JS wanted to be a prophet, king, general, and President of the United States. He was an ego-maniac, and it got him killed. I think that speaks volumes just in itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

scottisimo

Sep 21, 2003
Nicaragua
✟206.00
Faith
Protestant
I agree with what was said by A New Dawn: mormonism may be a cult, but that doesn't mean that individual mormons are not Christian. My opinions are about the religion and its founder.

But back to JS's thoughts about the church. The church is a fellowship of believers. It is 100% inclusive. I think the only "requirement" is to be forgiven by God (which is a state that deserves its own thread).

No congregation can be a "true church". Probably, some in the congregation are hypocrites. And obviously, not every believer is a part of that congregation.

As I mentioned before, I think God wants to bring change to all congregations and all denominations. One way to bring change is through us as believers. If you're not part of a congregation and are seeking to be part of one, your motive should be, How can I be of use in this congregation? We go to church to worship God and serve others, not to be accomodated to (in doctrine, comfort, music preference, etc.).

I really question JS's motives for starting a new church that claims to be the only true church, that all other churches had apostasized. (Is that accurate?) I don't believe God was calling him to do that, because I don't think God would call anyone to do that. Therefore, I doubt the validity of everything associated with JS, including the BOM and the LDS.

I do believe God calls certain people to do amazing things, such as bring reform, start missionary organizations, be politicians, etc. However, the method must be true to God's established method: work with current institutions, not separate from them.

Scott

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.