Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Uggghhhhh.......I went to a week of summer camp for the first time when I was 8 years old. I HATED THAT WEEK SO MUCH that I never went back to a summer camp again until I was 16 years old. I think the only reason I went to that camp was because it was called a "ranch" rather than a "camp". The words "summer camp" had left such a terrible impression in my memory.

Now, some of the kids there who were my age were having a blast, so it's definitely not too young for some kids. So I'm not about to nix my own kids from going at that age if I am certain they want to and I'm certain they won't get really homesick. But...I'm almost certain they'd get terribly homesick. So, for us, they will go when they are older:)

Upvote 0
B

Beth1231

Well, from a different perspective:) ...
I was a camp counselor in 2003 and my favorite age group was 8-10. I do recall one girl was whimpering in the middle of the night, homesick. I took her outside the cabin and just let her sit close to me and tell me what was on her mind. When she was smiling again, I tucked her in and went back to bed. Moral of the story: if you are going to put your kids in a Christian camp for the week and they are under the age of 10, please take a few (several?) minutes to chat with the counselor and make sure you like them and your child likes them. It's important; we are playing parents all week. And get a decent idea of what the week's schedule will be and whether or not your child is up for it (6:30 showers for example).
Just some little tips:) I had a wonderful time with the girls and I think they made some great memories as well.
P.S If it's not a Christian camp, I would be "shocked and horrified" like the OP's SIL...it's a dangerous world out there for kids now-a-days. :(

Upvote 0

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
It's funny, this seems to me a very regional thing. Where I grew up there wasn't a huge push for summer camps. Families did things together over the summer, but didn't send the kids away. Now that we've moved east, I get peppered with questions of why I don't send my kids to camp. It's just not something we're that interested in. I think that it'd depend on the temperment of the kids though, and the parents, to decide on what age.

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
selune said:
It's funny, this seems to me a very regional thing. Where I grew up there wasn't a huge push for summer camps. Families did things together over the summer, but didn't send the kids away. Now that we've moved east, I get peppered with questions of why I don't send my kids to camp. It's just not something we're that interested in. I think that it'd depend on the temperment of the kids though, and the parents, to decide on what age.

Yeah I know what you mean. I don't even know if they have camp for children younger than middle school around here. :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

andiesmama

Senior Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Florida
✟18,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it all depends on the child. By age 8 & 10, they should be able to tell you if they want to go to camp or not, if they want to go then let them try it & if it doesn't work out you can always go pick them up. I'm going to leave it up to Andie to decide...

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that you need to determine whether your individual child is ready for it.

My 7 year old daughter just recently had her very first sleepover. I was fully expecting a call in the middle of the night to come pick her up (her friend lives just down the road), but I never got it. I asked her how it went later on when we picked her up. She said that she loved playing with her friends before and the day after, but that she didn't like the sleeping part because she missed her house. And her friend's mother told me that about 4 AM Emily did climb up on the couch beside her (she'd slept in the living room with the girls because she knew it was Em's first time). So, I'm thinking that she's not quite ready yet. I did tell her how proud I was of her for being so strong and brave, and that if she ever needs me all she has to do is call me. I think it will be a while before she wants to sleep over again, but I'm hoping that since she knows what to expect it will get easier and easier. She's very much a child of ritual and routine...she likes to know what's coming and she doesn't like surprises.

I had a horrible time sleeping away from home when I was little. I don't think I even made it through a sleep over until I was 12 or 13. For that reason, I don't plan to push her or make her feel bad for needing to call me to come pick her up...heaven knows that my mother and grandmother made enough midnight trips to pick me up from unsuccessful sleepovers. I went to church camp when I was a teenager and I always had a blast.

I was also a camp counselor for 8 and 9 year olds at 4-H camp one year. I didn't have problems with any of my girls sleeping away from home...but they were all friends from school, so it wasn't like they didn't know anyone. Myself and another girl my age (17) had about 10 little girls to keep track of. They did fine, so I definitely think that some kids will handle it just fine. That camp lasted a week.

I think it makes a difference if the kids have been away from their parents before or not. It seems that the ones who've spent the weekend or the whole week with grandma (without mom and dad) do better than the ones who've never been away from their parents before.

We have lots of 8 and 9 year old at our church that look forward to church camp every year. Some kids don't go yet, but it's not a big deal. So, I definitely think that you just have to know your child and know if they could handle it or not...and don't push them...let them lead in deciding if they want to go or not.

Upvote 0

Peppermint Patty

Dec 8, 2003
✟8,064.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My church does a summer camp every year for grades 3-5. If my son (he'll be 9) wants to go, I'll let him. It's not for a whole week, I think it's 3 nights, 4 days. As others have said, it depends on the child, and whether or not the parent is aware of the environment they are putting their child in.

I am like Godschosengirl in that I am extremely leery of where my children go. They do not go to anyone's house unless I know the parents really really well, and the only sleepovers they have had are with their cousins. On the other hand, I want them to have experiences apart from my husband and I, since I homeschool and we're together almost all the time.

Upvote 0