Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Taking a read through 2Maccabees and found this.

From Chapter 1

7 In the year 169 when Demetrius the Second was king of Syria, we wrote to tell you about the persecution and the hard times that came upon us in the years after Jason revolted against authority in the Holy Land. 8 Jason and his men set fire to the Temple gates and slaughtered innocent people. Then we prayed to the Lord and he answered our prayers. So we sacrificed animals, gave offerings of grain, lit the lamps in the Temple, and set out the sacred loaves. 9 This is why we urge you to celebrate in the month of Kislev a festival similar to the Festival of Shelters. Written in the year 188.

18 On the twenty-fifth day of the month of Kislev we will celebrate the Festival of Rededication just as we celebrate the Festival of Shelters. We thought it important to remind you of this, so that you too may celebrate this festival. In this way you will remember how fire appeared when Nehemiah offered sacrifices after he had rebuilt the Temple and the altar.

This was being written to the Jews in Egypt, I wonder why this isn't done today?

Interesting that Sukkot is 8 days long in Israel
and
Hanukah is 8 days long

They said it was similar and to celebrate it the same way as Sukkot.

Do you think with the rebuilding of the Temple happening in our day that these two could be celebrated together? And if so, what would be the significance?

As I was typing in the tags I realized the similarity of Sukkot and Hanukkah and wondered if it was in the original Hebrew.

Hanukah - the double 'k' sounds comes from the combination of the Kof and Chet
חֲנֻכָּה

In Sukkot - The double 'k' also comes from the Kof and Chet -- סֻכָּה

Kof is the number 20 and Chet is the number 8

Total for Sukkot in Hebrew----- 60+20 +8 = 88
Total for Hanukkah in Hebrew-- 5+50+ 20+8 = 83

The word Dabar, meaning 'word' also is 88

Something else interesting I found, the Kof and Chet add up to 28

There are 28 letters in the first verse of the Torah/Bible.

B'resheet bara Elohim et hashamayim, v'et haatretz
In the beginning Adonai created the heavens and the earth

But only in Hebrew
בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ

Reactions: pinacled

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
They celebrated it for eight days with gladness like Sukkot and recalled how a little while before, during Sukkot they had been wandering in the mountains and caverns like wild animals. So carrying lulavs [palm branches waved on Sukkot]…they offered hymns of praise (perhaps, the Hallel prayer) to God who had brought to pass the purification of his own place. (II Maccabees 10:6-7)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The dedication (chanukkah) of Solomon's temple was at Sukkot.
So a "sukkot-like" celebration was called for by the Maccabees for the re-dedication.

Sukkot is 7 days plus the "eighth day" Shmini Atzeret." (technically it is a separate festival) That is why the Chanukkah celebration was set at 8 days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting thread, Lulav!

One thing I find interesting is that the story about the miracle of the oil, which everyone who has heard about Hanukkah is familiar with, isn't recorded until 600 years later in the Talmud. There seems to be a few explanations as to why that is!

Lulav asked:"Do you think with the rebuilding of the Temple happening in our day that these two could be celebrated together? And if so, what would be the significance?"

What about the Temple with Yeshua as the 'chief cornerstone'? - if Sukkot and Hanukkah are connected to the dedication/rededication of the Temple is that the reason for:
Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

I
n Leviticus, it's written:
Lev 23:42-43 Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths: (43) That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

so I have been pondering why everyone who is left of the nations would be celebrating the feast of tabernacles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0