• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Suffering from mistakes from the past (regretting tattoos)

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't patronize tattoo parlors but I do know she had a TV show at one time. I watched that and saw her art there. And I had been aware of her before when she was part of a cast of artists who were members of a man's tattoo shop. Her show was a spin-off from his.
She also dated a former Motley Crew band member for awhile and I remember that making news because they were both into tattoos so I am well aware of Ms Von D.

I will say I don't know anything about her parents.
So you prefer to watch the tattoo shows on screen rather than see the real life flesh canvas in a parlor, then? :)

I'm sure I read somewhere that Kat Von D's mother visits her at her parlor sometimes, anyway.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So you prefer to watch the tattoo shows on screen rather than see the real life flesh canvas in a parlor, then? :)

I'm sure I read somewhere that Kat Von D's mother visits her at her parlor sometimes, anyway.
I've never had occasion to visit a tattoo parlor. I don't want a tattoo and I don't know anyone who has them. I do like tattoo's on other people though if they're well done.
For me they just don't make sense. I'm not into permanence for one thing. Having a piece of art inked onto my skin for ever just isn't my style. Also for health reasons I wouldn't have one either. However, if someone knows themselves well enough to want to do that that's their choice.

The question in the OP surrounding the tattoo issue was their permanence and how that made one feel about that as far as regrets. That's where I was coming from in delivering my answer and or advice.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never had occasion to visit a tattoo parlor. I don't want a tattoo and I don't know anyone who has them. I do like tattoo's on other people though if they're well done.
For me they just don't make sense. I'm not into permanence for one thing. Having a piece of art inked onto my skin for ever just isn't my style. Also for health reasons I wouldn't have one either. However, if someone knows themselves well enough to want to do that that's their choice.

The question in the OP surrounding the tattoo issue was their permanence and how that made one feel about that as far as regrets. That's where I was coming from in delivering my answer and or advice.
I see; so for your the OP's regret mirrors your likely feelings if you had gotten one at some stage or other. Fine.

I think also that the OP's regret is partly - even substantially - about the design which he now feels is inappropriate.

Of course, a lot of Christians do choose to get faith based designs inked deliberately, because they are proven as effective conversation-starters in witness.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a direct result of her willingness to go under the inking needle for a faith based design.

So I guess that this is a kind of design that you had never thought of, or if you had, you would still regret it, if you had done it?

Blessings.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I see; so for your the OP's regret mirrors your likely feelings if you had gotten one at some stage or other. Fine.

I think also that the OP's regret is partly - even substantially - about the design which he now feels is inappropriate.

Of course, a lot of Christians do choose to get faith based designs inked deliberately, because they are proven as effective conversation-starters in witness.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 inked on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a direct result of her willingness to go under the inking needle for a faith based design.

So I guess that this is a kind of design that you had never thought of, or if you had, you would still regret it, if you had done it?

Blessings.
I'm old enough now to know who I am as far as committal of my skin, which is the largest organ of the body, to pigments impressed into it with rapid action needles. I've never wanted a tattoo. I do see people out and about with them and if they are works of art they're pretty in that respect. I've also seen prison tat's on people and those are not attractive in the least. And yet they too tell a story.

For me, living my life is enough to open opportunity to witness to the seeker. This world isn't like it was in first century. There's not one person in the U.S. who can say they've never heard of nor had the opportunity to at least see something related to the faith.
Churches abound, television features ministry programs as does radio, and there are websites that pop just for the random keyword one may use in a search engine that is closely related to the faith. Opportunity to find Christ is even had on forums dedicated to atheism believe it or not. No pun intended. Because the foremost topic under discussion in those type places is largely that of Christianity.

For me, I don't believe a scripture inked on my person would serve to deliver the message of the Lord to the seeker. I'd have to then answer someone who is even slightly aware of scripture when they ask, should I have a tattoo depicting Christian religious imagery, how I consolidate that with Leviticus 19:28.

I think I'm to live the example of faith in action. If that causes inquiry as to my faith so be it and then I can avail myself of that invitation to speak of Jesus and the faith.
Do you want to know what's really odd though about doing good things for people just because that's who I am ? When I've done so I've had those same people that I've helped out return to say thank you, again, and hand me a bible track or a little red cover New Testament.
The roles then reversed. They somehow imagined my good "works" were evidence I needed to hear the good news.

Imagine then if I did those same things with a scripture or a bible or a cross or some other Christian graven image inked onto my flesh. Would they offer that tract still? Or that little red cover New Testament? Or rather would their seeing that ink cause them to remind me of Leviticus 19:28?

People are odd when we're first told to believe we're made in the image and likeness of God the Father of us all.
It's why we need saving. ;)

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm old enough now to know who I am as far as committal of my skin, which is the largest organ of the body, to pigments impressed into it with rapid action needles. I've never wanted a tattoo. I do see people out and about with them and if they are works of art they're pretty in that respect. I've also seen prison tat's on people and those are not attractive in the least. And yet they too tell a story.

For me, living my life is enough to open opportunity to witness to the seeker. This world isn't like it was in first century. There's not one person in the U.S. who can say they've never heard of nor had the opportunity to at least see something related to the faith.
Churches abound, television features ministry programs as does radio, and there are websites that pop just for the random keyword one may use in a search engine that is closely related to the faith. Opportunity to find Christ is even had on forums dedicated to atheism believe it or not. No pun intended. Because the foremost topic under discussion in those type places is largely that of Christianity.

For me, I don't believe a scripture inked on my person would serve to deliver the message of the Lord to the seeker. I'd have to then answer someone who is even slightly aware of scripture when they ask, should I have a tattoo depicting Christian religious imagery, how I consolidate that with Leviticus 19:28.

I think I'm to live the example of faith in action. If that causes inquiry as to my faith so be it and then I can avail myself of that invitation to speak of Jesus and the faith.
Do you want to know what's really odd though about doing good things for people just because that's who I am ? When I've done so I've had those same people that I've helped out return to say thank you, again, and hand me a bible track or a little red cover New Testament.
The roles then reversed. They somehow imagined my good "works" were evidence I needed to hear the good news.

Imagine then if I did those same things with a scripture or a bible or a cross or some other Christian graven image inked onto my flesh. Would they offer that tract still? Or that little red cover New Testament? Or rather would their seeing that ink cause them to remind me of Leviticus 19:28?

People are odd when we're first told to believe we're made in the image and likeness of God the Father of us all.
It's why we need saving. ;)
Some good thoughts there! I can see where you are coming from in relation to the regrets of the OP.

Interesting to see your take on Leviticus 19.28. What I wonder is, what it means in the previous verse which seemingly says about not trimming one's beard. Do preachers shave? If they do, then maybe they are giving a backhanded admission that they are not under the Old Testament law in the land as were Jews. Presumably with a faith based design that is proven effective in witness, then motive counts for something.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I got my ears pierced a little over 3 weeks ago . It's usually placed in the same category as tattooing.

.. I plan to stretch my ears . I don't feel any conviction about it , I just don't want to put my appearance above God . I don't want it to become an obsession . I suppose everything in moderation fits well in these kind of situations .
Yes, piercing and tattooing in moderation only is less likely to end in regrets.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just try to cover my arm as it's noticeably faded at this point and looks pretty bad :/
PS:

It's getting to be the warmer weather now so short sleeves are out; and it's striking just how many ppl have tattoos, many from years ago. Even if you don't now like yours, I wouldn't worry about them, because so many (but soooo many) ppl have them.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...I just try to cover my arm as it's noticeably faded at this point and looks pretty bad :/
Hi sparkle123:

Well, it's summer now and in this area it's kind of the season from around May time in the supermarkets with ppl's short sleeves that such a lot of the tattoos appear...and then in September time a lot of them disappear again until next May; kind of regular as clockwork. So it's pretty widespread; maybe no need to worry too much even if you don't like it now, because so many are visible at this season.

(Sorry; just realized I replied a bit before.)

Upvote 0