Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Technically I believe, if I am not wrong, that Purgatory is after death.

But what about spiritual, soul and mental torment in this life? Could not that be considered Purgatory? Did not someone named Constantine say that some would or could or needed to suffer in this life and not after death, or suffer in both instances, assuming the person is a christian?

Is the purging in this life too or also or exclusively?

Reactions: Rhamiel

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Yeah some people experience their purgatory in this life by suffering. I remember when I was reading the diary of St. Faustina, Jesus asked her if she wanted to suffer in this life or suffer in purgatory. Her desire to suffer for God was so great she answered "both!"

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yeah some people experience their purgatory in this life by suffering. I remember when I was reading the diary of St. Faustina, Jesus asked her if she wanted to suffer in this life or suffer in purgatory. Her desire to suffer for God was so great she answered "both!"

Dear friend. Do you know where can I get information about the suffering in this life as a way of purging? Some sort of background?

Upvote 0

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Dear friend. Do you know where can I get information about the suffering in this life as a way of purging? Some sort of background?

Sorry I don't know of any material off the top of my head. I tried searching for it, but wasn't able to find anything other than some writing on suffering to save souls (redemptive suffering).

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Technically I believe, if I am not wrong, that Purgatory is after death.
This is correct.

But what about spiritual, soul and mental torment in this life? Could not that be considered Purgatory? Did not someone named Constantine say that some would or could or needed to suffer in this life and not after death, or suffer in both instances, assuming the person is a christian? Is the purging in this life too or also or exclusively?
This is what the Catechism says.

1472:To understand this doctrine and practice of the Church, it is necessary to understand that sin has a double consequence. Grave sin deprives us of communion with God and therefore makes us incapable of eternal life, the privation of which is called the "eternal punishment" of sin. On the other hand every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called Purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the "temporal punishment" of sin. These two punishments must not be conceived of as a kind of vengeance inflicted by God from without, but as following from the very nature of sin. A conversion which proceeds from a fervent charity can attain the complete purification of the sinner in such a way that no punishment would remain.

So the purging can take place while somebody is still alive. It is believed that the Martyrs go straight to heaven because their final act displayed that they were no longer attached to this world.

Upvote 0