Subtle satan

Has satan deceived the church to abolish God's laws?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Hezekiah81

Christ died for me so I died for him
Aug 18, 2021
Texas
✟7,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks!

This came to mind this morning

Deuteronomy 25 If brothers dwell together, and one of them die, and have no son, the wife of the dead shall not be married outside to a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in to her, and take her to him as wife, and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her.

I don't think we ought to do the actual marrying today, because I think it says in Corinthians something about each man having his own wife.

But the general idea, that of taking care of the vulnerable in society, would definitely be something we would follow. In those times, of course, a widow didn't have very many options for financial support.

It would go along well with not oppressing the immigrant, I think that's another law.
You are correct it's not just the two great commandments, or the ten, it's the total. God gives us many precepts to live by but mixed up religion today will tell you the old hebrew scriptures [tanakh] are not valid and God's law was a curse and has been abolished and we no longer have to abide to it, that is a lie from satan. They have no percipience of God's word because they have been deceived by man fabricated doctrine infused by satan. We are freed from sin and death not the law. We are no longer under the condemnation of the law if Christ's Spirit indeed dwells in you. Christ is the end of the law for righteousness not the end of the law period. The curse is living in the flesh without the set-apart Spirit which means you are in bondage to sin and walk after the desires of, which in turn makes you transgress the law and puts you under the condemnation of it. When you become a new creation in Christ you are no longer in bondage to sin but become a servant of righteousness and are no longer under the condemnation of the law, but you still have to obey the righteousness of the law which is fulfilled in us and before ordained that we should walk in if Christ's Spirit indeed dwells in you. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟177,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This came to mind this morning

Exodus 20:24 You shall make an altar of earth for me, and shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your cattle.

God wanted his altar made out of dirt, not fancy stuff. We often twist ourselves into pretzels trying to make something fancy for God out of things like silver or gold.

Upvote 0

Hezekiah81

Christ died for me so I died for him
Aug 18, 2021
Texas
✟7,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another commandment

Deuteronomy 22:8 When you build a new house, then you shall make a railing around your roof, so that you don’t bring blood on your house if anyone falls from there.
Very good, you are wise not because your own wisdom but because you listen to your Father's. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟177,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 22:5 A woman shall not wear men’s clothing, neither shall a man put on women’s clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.

Interesting commandment, it even includes the word "abomination". I suppose what is men's clothing and women's clothing will change with the culture.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 22:5 A woman shall not wear men’s clothing, neither shall a man put on women’s clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.

Interesting commandment, it even includes the word "abomination". I suppose what is men's clothing and women's clothing will change with the culture.
This is a command, not a commandment, there is a difference.

I agree when God calls something an abomination it's not something you want to do. What I think is being said here is that men should be men and woman should be women. While this is not politically correct these days, it is biblical correct which is what matters.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟177,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a command, not a commandment, there is a difference.

I agree when God calls something an abomination it's not something you want to do. What I think is being said here is that men should be men and woman should be women. While this is not politically correct these days, it is biblical correct which is what matters.

Well, okay, I'm open to following this out. Some things are commands but not commandments? Are there commandments that are not commands?

What are you saying is the difference between a command and a commandment?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, okay, I'm open to following this out. Some things are commands but not commandments? Are there commandments that are not commands?

What are you saying is the difference between a command and a commandment?
“Commandments” in verses 1 and 2 (mitzvah): This is the general Hebrew term for “commandment” and usually refers to the comprehensive list of laws or body of laws given by the Lord. This is also the Hebrew term often used when the Lord spoke directly in the Old Testament. i.e. Ten Commandments

“Statutes” (choq): According to Vine’s Expository Dictionary, this word means “statute, prescription, rule, law, regulation” and can refer to laws of nature (Job 28:26; Jeremiah 5:22; 31:35–36) or what is allocated, rationed, or apportioned to someone (Genesis 47:22; Exodus 29:28).

“Rules” (mishpat): A judicial verdict or formal decree. In the Law of Moses, some of the legal types of rules would fall under this category.

“Statutes/Commands” in verse 2 (chuqqah): Chuqqah has a more specific meaning than choq, according to Vine’s dictionary. It refers to a particular law related to a festival or ritual, such as Passover (Exodus 12:14), the Days of Unleavened Bread (Exodus 12:17), or the Feast of Tabernacles (Leviticus 23:41).

The Ten Commandments would be similar to what we call "The Constitution" ordinances, statue, commands are more like local laws.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟177,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Commandments” in verses 1 and 2 (mitzvah): This is the general Hebrew term for “commandment” and usually refers to the comprehensive list of laws or body of laws given by the Lord. This is also the Hebrew term often used when the Lord spoke directly in the Old Testament. i.e. Ten Commandments

Verses 1 and 2?

“Statutes” (choq): According to Vine’s Expository Dictionary, this word means “statute, prescription, rule, law, regulation” and can refer to laws of nature (Job 28:26; Jeremiah 5:22; 31:35–36) or what is allocated, rationed, or apportioned to someone (Genesis 47:22; Exodus 29:28).

“Rules” (mishpat): A judicial verdict or formal decree. In the Law of Moses, some of the legal types of rules would fall under this category.

“Statutes/Commands” in verse 2 (chuqqah): Chuqqah has a more specific meaning than choq, according to Vine’s dictionary. It refers to a particular law related to a festival or ritual, such as Passover (Exodus 12:14), the Days of Unleavened Bread (Exodus 12:17), or the Feast of Tabernacles (Leviticus 23:41).

The Ten Commandments would be similar to what we call "The Constitution" ordinances, statue, commands are more like local laws.

Hope this helps

I've heard of these different words relating to the law. We read them a lot in Psalm 119.

How do you decide if Deuteronomy 22:8 is a commandment or a command or one of the others?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
He was accounted righteous because he believed in God and obeyed his word. You can't just say you believe and not obey because then you start doing what's right in your own eyes, what is sin: transgression of torah. God bless you.

Matt 7 makes your case as well.

Matt 7
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
26 “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: 27 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

Rom 2:13 makes your case as well
13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God"
Rev 14:12 "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums