Substance Abuse Thread for Non-Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aca_rev55

I saw there was a thread in the Christian's only section, so... I thought I'd start one up for non-Christians, because I was going to post in there, but, obviously I couldn't, because I'm not a Christian.

So, I'm not sure if this thread is going to go anywhere, or if it's just gonna be me sitting here looking like an idiot or not... so, post if you'd like..

Anyways, for me... my issues probably started after I was diagnosed with ADD, and they put me on Adderall. I've also suffered from pretty severe "depression" for a few years. Adderall (aka Speed) made me feel better... but you can develop a tolerance, which I did. So I got addicted to my ADD meds, and ended up stashing some, and taking it for reasons other than Attention deficit... go me. Kind of snowballed from there...

Reactions: meh

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
rev_atheist said:
I saw there was a thread in the Christian's only section, so... I thought I'd start one up for non-Christians, because I was going to post in there, but, obviously I couldn't, because I'm not a Christian.

So, I'm not sure if this thread is going to go anywhere, or if it's just gonna be me sitting here looking like an idiot or not... so, post if you'd like..

Anyways, for me... my issues probably started after I was diagnosed with ADD, and they put me on Adderall. I've also suffered from pretty severe "depression" for a few years. Adderall (aka Speed) made me feel better... but you can develop a tolerance, which I did. So I got addicted to my ADD meds, and ended up stashing some, and taking it for reasons other than Attention deficit... go me. Kind of snowballed from there...
How are you doing now? Please don't answer if you don't want. Tapero

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That was a great idea, to start up a thread.

... go me.
Well, the whole point of treating for substance abuse is that we are not strong enough to battle the physical control that substances put people under.

Even caffeine changes personalities and self-control. ... a doctor trying to solve your problems by multiplying what caffeine could do? Adrenal gland depletion, nerve damage, change in motor control, heightened anxiety, hypertension...geesh. How do they spell help.

I know, Adderall is more complex than that.

Some interesting musings here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

Upvote 0
A

aca_rev55

Wow, am I glad to see some people have posted! Super cool.

Anyways, I'm doing fine... I'm no longer a "depressed" person, I still have ADD and I'm still "on" Adderall. I have done a lot of research on Adderall, actually... Before I get on any new medication, I tend to look into it pretty deeply. I knew all the side effects before I got on it, knew the risks, and was aware that it's like banned in Canada (isn't it?)... but, I didn't really care.

It's a trip, and I really do truly feel that it WAS a big part in me getting over my depression. The onset of such was because of my ADD I couldn't ever do my work, I kept failing classes, hating myself for it, and not understanding why I couldn't do the work even when I knew the material better than everyone else (not to brag, or anything, but I soak up and hold information pretty darn well, plus my photographic memory helps, too!). I won't say I just randomly "got depressed." It was over the course of probably about 2 or 3 years before it hit its peek and I didn't feel like living anymore.
Adderall literally FIXED my ADD problem in school, I became extremely motivated, the first day I was on it I went into all of my classes, asked for extra-credit and a list of the things I needed to get in... after practicing my French horn for two hours (I never practiced, ever), I went up, started up on my homework around 5, went to bed sometime after 2, and woke up at 6 refreshed and PUMPED.

So, it made me feel good about things... until I started to get a tolerance to it.. that's when the problems started.

But I'm not on here to spit out my problems, this is thread for everyone! GO FOR IT.

Upvote 0

Deb7777

Oct 6, 2005
✟16,295.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi Sister, thanks for sharing and for letting others come to this thread to share on the subject, great idea for a thread. I suppose people have to see what works for them. Many people do well on medicine and then some have to adjust or switch around so hopefully nobody gets too discourage in the process. I'm sure alot of people will have some wisdom on the subject, God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.