Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tried to register at COL once, but I didn't like the idea of having my actual name displayed at the top of every post. Internet BB's, like Reconciliation, should be kept anonymous, IMHO. :)

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Wolosey,

You don't have to give your name; you just have to give a name. You can give a fake name as long as it is a serious name and not something silly.

The reason is because they feel that when someone uses a handle they are more prone say things that they normally wouldn't which could effect the charity of the board and because it is more personal and courteous to address to someone by their name instead of a handle even if it is not their real name.

I believe it also raises the level of respect for the person you are talking with and it makes them more then just words on a screen.

But I do also understand that there are nuts out here and it can be dangerous.

Upvote 0

artnalex

Feb 25, 2003
California
Visit site
✟16,706.00
Faith
Catholic
I think the "thing" that makes COL a great forum is that when you talk to someone you - are talking to a person with a name, not "Cross-34". It keeps it more personable, and less mean-spirited. People are less inclined to be un-Christian if their name is out there, even if it not their real first and last name.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Wolseley said:
I tried to register at COL once, but I didn't like the idea of having my actual name displayed at the top of every post. Internet BB's, like Reconciliation, should be kept anonymous, IMHO. :)

Wolsely,

As Michelle points out, you don't have to use your "real" name. So maybe you will reconsider? Having read some of your posts here on this forum, I think you would be an asset on the COL forum, IMHO.

By the way, I see from your profile that you are in Michigan. Hello! From a fellow Michigander.

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
Jeff- This is not an attempt at argument, only an attempt to learn. Why do you say that you "hope" you will be in Heaven? From what I understand the scriptures tell us that Jesus was given that we can KNOW that we HAVE eternal life. As someone who has placed his trust in the work of Jesus, you are guaranteed eternal life with Him.

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
I was just looking at what I wrote and I think it is sad that there is so much conflict between the Body of Christ that we each feel like we have to qualify our questions as not mean spirited because there is so much contention. Wow, God is sure expounding my heart. Thank you God for my brothers and sisters in Jesus regardless what building they enter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bastoune

Jul 14, 2003
New York, NY, USA
✟1,694.00
Faith
Catholic
ByGrace said:
Jeff- This is not an attempt at argument, only an attempt to learn. Why do you say that you "hope" you will be in Heaven? From what I understand the scriptures tell us that Jesus was given that we can KNOW that we HAVE eternal life. As someone who has placed his trust in the work of Jesus, you are guaranteed eternal life with Him.

Yes but you as a sinful human can choose to reject that grace. A protestant minister explained it once like this: "I can have someone enter my office and so long as they are in my office, no one can come in and disturb or harm them. They are protected and in my care. But I in no way will restrain them from leaving my office if they so choose."

We "hope" for salvation because while we are assured of the perfection of God's mercy, love and grace, we are not assured of our ability to "remain in Him"...

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ByGrace said:

Yeah, we know that we do have it as long as we do not forfeit and opt to live a life of mortal sin.

The scriptures say NOTHING at all about us being guaranteed that we will be in heaven if we chose to live a life of mortal sin turning our back on God and his commandments.

Do you disagree with this?

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
Cant say as I do. Only reference I can think of is Jesus saying that nothing can seperate us from his love, or was that Paul? I guess I just cant imagine ever wanting to be seperate either. Regardless, glad we will all spend it together worshipping him. Probably wont ever meet you here on earth but itll be cool to meet everyone there.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Nothing can separate us from the love of God just as his sheep can not be plucked from his hands.

God still loves us and nothing we do can separate us from that but we can choose to closed the curtains and not let the sun shine in. That does not mean that the sun ceases to shine on the other side, it means that we are not letting it in.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Skripper said:
Wolsely,

As Michelle points out, you don't have to use your "real" name. So maybe you will reconsider? Having read some of your posts here on this forum, I think you would be an asset on the COL forum, IMHO.
Thank you---but I think I would be hopelessly outclassed there. There are a lot of people on that forum who are a lot smarter than I am. :)
By the way, I see from your profile that you are in Michigan. Hello! From a fellow Michigander.
Ey, dere---uff da! Ya? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Wolseley said:
Thank you---but I think I would be hopelessly outclassed there. There are a lot of people on that forum who are a lot smarter than I am.

I'm outclassed in almost every thread I've ever gone in . . . I never let that stop me! ;)

I hope I don't get off on the wrong foot with you by disagreeing with you already but I think I'd disagree with that assessment. :) :bow:

[quote="Wolseley]Ey, dere---uff da! Ya? ;)[/QUOTE]

Hmm . . . Yooper? :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.