Study shows most Americans blame government mistakes, not guns, for Florida shooting

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Study shows most Americans blame government mistakes, not guns, for Florida shooting

Most Americans blame the shooting on failures by the local, state and federal governments, according to a Rasmussen Reports study.
Fifty-four percent of Americans surveyed believe the shooting could have been avoided if government agencies responded to reports of warning signs from the killer.
Interestingly, 61 percent of parents with school-age children believe the government is more responsible for the shooting than guns. Just 23 percent blamed a lack of adequate gun control
.​

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Most Americans blame the shooting on failures by the local, state and federal governments, according to a Rasmussen Reports study.
Fifty-four percent of Americans surveyed believe the shooting could have been avoided if government agencies responded to reports of warning signs from the killer.
Interestingly, 61 percent of parents with school-age children believe the government is more responsible for the shooting than guns. Just 23 percent blamed a lack of adequate gun control
.​

You do know this is an inconvenient little tidbit of information for those who push for more government and more silly government solutions?

• Haha
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You do know this is an inconvenient little tidbit of information for those who push for more government and more silly government solutions?
I know ...

I expected the usual protests of, " ... but, Rasmussen, Rasmussen".

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟656,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

.​

It's always easier to blame the most visible part of an incident (the gun) than it is to blame all the less visible people behind what led to the incident--which apparently even includes the shooter himself.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Snappy1

Feb 19, 2018
Arkansas
✟30,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
1) A study showing what people blame is kind of irrelevant to whether or not something is actually responsible. I mean that's the argument a lot of people would be making if the study showed everyone blamed the gun, right?

2) Yeah, it really does seem as if some mistakes were made on the part of the FBI and local law enforcement. I say seems because I don't know exactly what information they had and what they did or did not do with that information.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,151.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

If we expect the government to stop things like the parkland shooting we're going to have to give them the tools to do so.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find the huge increase in NRA membership more telling.

Well, once you start a push to ban a huge number of existing guns, gun owners will inevitably react.

If we expect the government to stop things like the parkland shooting we're going to have to give them the tools to do so.

The most useful thing government can to is to reduce gun access by violent criminals and the mentally ill.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I find people thinking an increase in google searches and a bunch of tweets means a huge increase in NRA membership more telling.

Should've known better than to trust TIME magazine. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Well, once you start a push to ban a huge number of existing guns, gun owners will inevitably react.
Yep.

Motivation is key.
The most useful thing government can to is to reduce gun access by violent criminals and the mentally ill.
If only they would. Instead, as happened in Florida, current national policies prohibit discriminating against violent criminals and the mentally ill. :doh:

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,096,984.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Since Rasmussen holds hands with the NRA, I am disregarding the poll.

What can governments do when they are made aware of troubled and potentially violent individuals but these individuals have not yet done anything that they could be legally detained or jailed for?

We can blame a number of things but it comes down to this: Forty percent of American families own guns, and we have more guns than people in America. For some reason, they feel that they need guns for their personal safety or in case government "oversteps its bounds." (Aside on this: I saw a meme saying "I wonder how the West Virginia legislature would feel if its striking teachers were marching on the capitol armed?" LOL!)

Their gun obsessions keep them from doing what would really help them stay safe--developing good communication within their families and communities, having adequate mental health care, etc. They think the gun is a short cut because it keeps an uneasy truce but doesn't deal with the interpersonal difficulties that cause people (and remember, most gun violence is committed by family members) to become violent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone here actually have a suggestion on what should have been done by the FBI or local law enforcement?

I would suggest that the local law enforcement officers attempt to stop the shooter rather than refrain from entering the building.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone here actually have a suggestion on what should have been done by the FBI or local law enforcement?
Yes.

He should have been charged for the more violent offenses he committed ... and his threats should have been escalated rather than abandoned.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is only one person responsible for the shooting. Not the gun, not local law enforcement not the FBI. The local law enforcement is responsible for not responding properly and many are responsible for enabling the shooter to slip through the cracks but only the shooter is responsible for shooting.

• Winner
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I do not expect government to stop things like the Parkland shooting. Nor do I believe that government lacks any tools they need to do the job they are tasked with doing.

• Winner
Upvote 0