Earth
✟16,843.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want to buy a new study Bible, the kind with all the extras like built in concordance and scripture cross references in the text, something that is good for a moderate - high Calvinist (IE the marginal notes should be good and reformed); preferably in NASB, ESV, or NKJV.

Any specific recommendations? I want to get the right one the first time since these study Bibles are bit more pricey than the basic Bibles.

Thanks!

Pteriax

Someone to hate
Jul 13, 2013
Earth
✟16,843.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, I was looking on Amazon.com and there are reference Bibles and study Bibles, and I like the features of both. So my problem is can I get a Bible that does both? And which study Bible is reformed, like the MacArthur vs the Zondervan? I really don't want a separate study and reference Bible, I want one that does both. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
ESV version of the Reformation Study Bible looks quite solidly (conservative) Reformed to me.

See Introduction to the Reformation Study Bible from R.C. Sproul for detailed comments and sample chapters.

I have the old Reformation Study Bible in NKJ and it is pretty good but I would recommend a reference Bible instead. No commentary just scriptural chains and headings by John Brown of Haddington (who is Reformed).

64.jpg

Westminster Reference Bible - Calfskin Leather - Reformation Heritage Books

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Osage Bluestem

Galatians 5:1
Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pteriax said:
I want to buy a new study Bible, the kind with all the extras like built in concordance and scripture cross references in the text, something that is good for a moderate - high Calvinist (IE the marginal notes should be good and reformed); preferably in NASB, ESV, or NKJV.

Any specific recommendations? I want to get the right one the first time since these study Bibles are bit more pricey than the basic Bibles.

Thanks!

I use the ESV reformation study bible as my main bible. It stays by my nightstand and I take it to work with me each day. I also take it to church on Sunday. It's a hardback that I placed in a bible case with a handle. In there I keep two highlighters. It's the best study bible (most true) out there. I have all of the other main ones as well; ESVSB, HCSBSB, MacArthur (dispensational therefore not recommended) Apologetics, catholic, NIVSB....etc. The Reformation Study Bible ESV (Best of all possible English translations) is simply the best bible you can own in this day.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I use the ESV reformation study bible as my main bible. It stays by my nightstand and I take it to work with me each day. I also take it to church on Sunday. It's a hardback that I placed in a bible case with a handle. In there I keep two highlighters. It's the best study bible (most true) out there. I have all of the other main ones as well; ESVSB, HCSBSB, MacArthur (dispensational therefore not recommended) Apologetics, catholic, NIVSB....etc. The Reformation Study Bible ESV (Best of all possible English translations) is simply the best bible you can own in this day.

Highlighters, good reminder.

When I first really, really study scripture I used red and black pens to underline texts.

jm

PS: Osage has one of the prettiest Bibles on the market...you still have the Longprimer right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Thanks a lot, you guys were a big help. I am buying a ESV reformed study Bible.

Good choice.

Just be aware the notes and comments are not inspired but just commentary. As a Baptist you'll disagree with plenty of them because they are Presbyterian in nature and place emphasis on non-baptistic issues.

Upvote 0

Osage Bluestem

Galatians 5:1
Dec 27, 2010
Texas
Visit site
✟11,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JM said:
Highlighters, good reminder.

When I first really, really study scripture I used red and black pens to underline texts.

jm

PS: Osage has one of the prettiest Bibles on the market...you still have the Longprimer right?

I do have the Longprimer. I love it. It's a KJV reference bible and as that is what I was raised on its very nice and nostalgic to open once in awhile. I keep it in the blue Alan box it came in.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I do have the Longprimer. I love it. It's a KJV reference bible and as that is what I was raised on its very nice and nostalgic to open once in awhile. I keep it in the blue Alan box it came in.

I had to remind myself when I read your post, "thou shalt not covet."

:blush:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pteriax

Someone to hate
Jul 13, 2013
Earth
✟16,843.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good choice.

Just be aware the notes and comments are not inspired but just commentary. As a Baptist you'll disagree with plenty of them because they are Presbyterian in nature and place emphasis on non-baptistic issues.

I figured about the comments, but the one I ordered (according to customer reviews) presents more than one side of certain doctrinal issues, so it should be easy enough to highlight the best parts.

Upvote 0

DanielRB

Slave of Allah
Jul 16, 2004
New Mexico
✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
For myself, having a Microsoft Surface Pro (256 GB version, somewhat hard to find) with Logos 5 loaded on it is probably the best solution. Multiple Bibles, commentaries, study Bibles, can take notes, highlight, etc--no substitute at all IMO. It's what I take to Church and do my daily reading.

That said, I am somewhat addicted to physical Bibles. One of my favorite cheap little Bibles is a NASB Compact Reference with a snap-flap (ISBN 0310921430). One of the clearest fonts in any Bible I've owned, even though it is small. However, probably my favorite "big" Bible is the NASB single-column reference by Foundation (ISBN 1581351127)--make sure you get the 2012 version, or an old American print (for awhile there there were binding problems). The SCR will be available in true wide-margin later this year, so you may want to hold off.

Or just take a trip to evangelicalbible.com and gaze at some of the finest Bibles available today.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The dets on the Westminster:

Product Description

The Westminster Reference Bible is a significant new setting of the authorized (King James) Version that contains over eighty thousand cross-references, many from John Brown of Haddington's Self-Interpreting Bible, together with the original marginal notations provided by the translators and official revisers. The margins also include word definitions and explanations from the Society's expanded Bible World List. All this useful information is presented in an attractive double-margin layout on each page.

Other features of the Westminster include chapter summaries, table of weights and measures, an explanation of some of the features of teh text of teh AV, an extensive concordance, and eight all-new-full-colour maps prepared specially for the Westminster Bible

Westminster Reference Bible, black vinyl-covered hardback. This Bible contains over two hundred thousand cross-references, and also features a concordance and 8 full-colour maps.

Features:
Vinyl covered hardback
Cross references
Black text throughout
Quality sewn binding
Two marker ribbons
Bible paper
Additional Contents:
Gift presentation page
Translators to the Reader
The Epistle Dedicatory
List of pronunciation of words and proper names
References
Word list on page
Daily Bible reading plan
Concordance
Colour maps
Page Size: 8.5" x 6"
Thickness: 1.3"
Print Size: 9.6 point

+I'm really looking forward to getting this one.

Upvote 0