Mar 16, 2008
✟7,975.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
In Britain, pretty much everyone gets a student loan, it's pretty standard really. The amount you get depends on your parent's income (I'm not sure if your own is taken into account). As my parents are unemployed, I get the full amount which is roughly £3000 per academic year living expenses and then my tuition fees (which were £1120 last year but from this year on are £3070- OUCH!!), and a grant of £900 per term. So far I'm in about £10000 with two years left til I finish (I had to repeat my first year), so I reckon I'll be in £20000 or so overall. One day I'll sit down and work all this out. I really think I need to! As the loans are government- given and not from banks though, the repayment plan is very reasonable. I don't have to start paying back until I earn over £15000 a year and even then it averages out as something like £5 a week (or so they told us when we were applying), and right now the interest is roundabout 4%. And after 25 years anything I haven't paid is written off. It still scares me to think just how much debt I'm letting myself in for though, but this is what it takes to get an education these days.

Upvote 0

MilitantSheep

Mar 16, 2008
✟7,975.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
In Britain, pretty much everyone gets a student loan, it's pretty standard really. The amount you get depends on your parent's income (I'm not sure if your own is taken into account). As my parents are unemployed, I get the full amount which is roughly £3000 per academic year living expenses and then my tuition fees (which were £1200 last year but from this year on are £3070- OUCH!!), and a grant of £900 per term. So far I'm in about £10000 with two years left til I finish (I had to repeat my first year), so I reckon I'll be in £20000 or so overall. One day I'll sit down and work all this out. I really think I need to! As the loans are government- given and not from banks though, the repayment plan is very reasonable. I don't have to start paying back until I earn over £15000 a year and even then it averages out as something like £5 a week (or so they told us when we were applying), and right now the interest is roundabout 4%. And after 25 years anything I haven't paid is written off. It still scares me to think just how much debt I'm letting myself in for though, but this is what it takes to get an education these days.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
about 50,000 when I graduate. Then I want to go as a full time missionary for 2 years. Hopefully I can get it deferred while i am supposed to be gone.
Right out of college? Pretty cool. Or are you in a Christian college where you can do that?

Upvote 0

j6w25f

Sep 5, 2007
Columbus, OH
✟8,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right out of college? Pretty cool. Or are you in a Christian college where you can do that?
I am actually going to DeVry for my bachelor's degree in computer engineering. I graduate in June and hope to get approved, raise support, and leave by around August. assuming I get approved, I will have a budget of $1800/month for 2 years to raise as I will be a full time missionary. I didn't know Christ until about a year ago, and He has already changed me and grown me soo much. I can't wait to go forth and spread His word as He has called me to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums