Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to try something here that I usually don't do, because it usually backfires and gets brought up in every thread someone has a disagreement with me in for years to come as a trump card to discredit me, and share kind of a personal religious struggle with you guys. I'm going to trust you all not to use it to call me a fake Catholic next time we're discussing politics. ;) Hopefully my trust isn't misplaced.

My background is Irish (American) Catholic. I can't even count all my cousins, let alone name them all- that type of Irish Catholic. :) Most, but not all, of the extended family comes from a fairly conservative vein of the Catholic tradition. A couple of them are priests. I was baptized and received my first communion and went to confession regularly and so on and so forth as a young child. 10 years of Catholic school.

As a pre-teen, I became an atheist or an agnostic or something along those lines. I wasn't sure God existed, and I was pretty sure I didn't like God if he did, because of things like the existence of hell that seemed like it'd be populated by a lot of good people (from my perspective), very strict rigid ethical codes that I wasn't sure were all ethical, and the existence of suffering in the world, later personal suffering would add to the abstract issue of other people's suffering.

I knew all the theological explanations, like that some people couldn't stand to be in God's presence and might put themselves outside of heaven because of that, but I couldn't quite accept it as being ethically okay for God to do that, because there is a middle ground between a heavily paradise in God's presence, and a place of intense physical and psychological torment for all eternity. For example, there is the idea of the limbo unbaptized infants are said to possibly enter, where there is the absence of God, but where there is no physical pain or suffering. Why couldn't that be hell instead? God could allow people who didn't want to be in his presence to go to their own personal paradises that had everything they might want except access to him. He could even allow them to repent later if they so chose.

There's this idea, too, that hell is a form of justice, but we don't accept torture (The Bush administration aside ;) ) as an acceptable form of justice administration in modern western society. Even the Church says it's wrong in this world now. So we're moving ethically beyond it, but God isn't it?

And even if we were to posit that torture in the afterlife *is* just, eventually it can't be just to be tortured for all of time and eternity, torture that quite literally can never end, for sin or misdeed committed in a finite time on earth, can it? The bible speaks of an eye for an eye, but even if you live 100 years on earth and do horrible things the whole time, being tortured for more than 100 times 100 years would be so much more than an eye for an eye.

Further, Jesus himself said that we were to move beyond the concept of an eye for an eye and turn the other cheek instead. If God himself says that, and presents it as an ethical advance that we're to strive for, what's the justification for God setting it aside and not following his own advice in the afterlife? Why are we supposed to be more ethically advanced in our practices than God himself is? Shouldn't *he* be more ethically advanced?

Anyhow, eventually, I found myself drawn back to religion in my later teens and early twenties, and explored various different forms of Christianity, and became an Episcopalian for I'd say around three years, getting confirmed, attending the Eucharist every week, etc.. I have a great love for liturgy, theology, the look and feel and tradition of churches, religious history, and so on and so forth. And I like having spirituality in my life.

As an Episcopalian, for a time I could set aside a lot of what I didn't agree with God about, or even doubts about God's existence. Though the Episcopal Church isn't officially universalist, one is free to be universalist and be Episcopalian. My natural inclinations towards equality for women, homosexuals, and so on and so forth were shared by most of that organization, though my particular parish was fairly conservative. There were even female and gay bishops, priests, and deacons. Sure, there was still suffering in the world, but that wasn't something that was going to change no matter what I did, and it was a little easier to ignore God standing by and letting it happen feeling that God wasn't calling me to change my life beyond being more responsive and loving to people, and with the idea that everyone would wind up in heaven one day anyway, and that all suffering was temporary.

I'd always wanted to be married from a young age, and could never find a wife, so at the time their waning admonitions (they were clearly slowly moving toward a new more liberal theology of sex) against pre-martial sex and stuff were also appealing relative to Roman Catholicism. Not as much as an issue these days, as I've kind of moved on from dating for personal reasons I'd rather not discuss too deeply (Not that I rule it out, I've just in practice stopped pursuing it, and I'm not the type of person who gets pursued or falls into relationships by random chance, not that I'd be against either, so in practice I don't really date anymore.)- suffice is to say I wasn't in much demand and was really struggling to find people, and feeling less satisfaction with the people I found, and didn't see the possibility of the long-term future I wanted (Between poverty, health issues, a tough to handle personality, and a lack of traditionally well received looks, people's patience would wear thin with me quickly if they didn't immediately rule me out, which most did, and I couldn't really handle things very well), and the quality of the women I was finding was noticeably lower in the areas I found important as time passed. I think I can deal with just hanging out with my dog a bit and trying to make the best of it better than what was happening to me in the dating world, and pursuing a goal that was incredibly consuming, frustrating, and heart breaking to pursue and wasn't really getting me anywhere.

Anyhow, there got to be this point as an Episcopalian where I got very deep in prayer and theology, and couldn't deny that the Catholic Church of my birth was the Church founded my Jesus. I felt like maybe God had called me into the Episcopal Church because that's what I could accept at the time, but increasingly would feel God's voice in a quiet way (Not literally voices in my head), telling me it was time to move on. Passages in the bible or read at Eucharist services would just sort of leap off the page or out of the lector's mouth and give me this strong feeling that God was telling me my time there was over and I needed to return to Rome. I was starting to feel like a fake Episcopalian, but I didn't want to leave, and knew I couldn't stay.

Eventually, I did leave. I started attending Roman Catholic masses again and some of the hymns I grew up with- the "Though the Mountains May Fall", "Here I am, Lord", and "On Eagle's Wings" 70s-80s stuff everyone hates that they don't play anywhere else- really touched me. I even made a confession and received the Eucharist once, but it wasn't even a week before I wound up not being able to get back in the confessional and couldn't receive communion.

So, seven or eight years later, I feel like I've made no progress. I attended mass less and less as the years passed, I'm down to one every year or two now. I can't find peace with God and I don't agree with the way he is. I felt like I'd make progress on that, but I haven't. I feel further from God than I did as an Episcopalian. Some days and weeks and months and even years, I feel more like the atheist I was during my teenage years.

Seeing the child abuse scandal and the coverup from news reports and so on, and seeing a radically politicized Republican bishopric acting in what I feel are immoral ways that are contrary to the Catholic faith, even, at times, doesn't help, although they aren't my primary issues.

Seven or eight years is a long time. I'm moving further from rather than closer to the life of the Church. I don't feel like this is getting resolved. It's just been in limbo.

Often, I feel like trying to forget religion, and have tried, but I fundamentally am a religious person and keep getting pulled back. I couldn't stomach towards the end of being an Episcopalian when I felt I was faking it because I no longer believe it, but sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier and better off trying to do that and taking communion there (As they don't put restrictions on coming to the table, whereas I feel the need to respect Rome's teaching and not take communion when attending Catholic mass without prior confession) and being a part of a faith community that I could accept and feel uplifted by, even if I felt like we were all communing with a God who wasn't real, and that the real God was the Roman one. But I have trouble stomaching that concept, I am not good at faking things, and have trouble seeing that bring me any peace.

Yet, I can't seem to really reconcile with God as a Roman Catholic and truly be a confession going, weekly mass attending, full member of a Catholic faith community. It seems to go against my conscience in some way. I try to ease into it and never get there, and wind up non-religious for a while and trying to drift back and not quite getting there. I consider myself a Catholic, I was baptized a Catholic, but I can't seem to be a Catholic in many ways.

I've felt for years like I really should just, if I can't be part of the Roman Catholic Church as a "regular" and really get with the program, that I should just give up on religion, but something in me won't let me do that permanently, or go back to being an Episcopalian, but I can't really believe in that. I've often begun to wonder if I'm going to spend the next several decades caught in this limbo, and then dying and going to hell. If I'm headed to hell, I really as might as well not bother with this stuff, right? But my brain almost seems like it's in a dysfunctional loop that won't let me ignore it for long and also won't let me give myself to it.

To be honest, there's a strong chance I'd be Episcopalian again by now if they had a Saturday evening Eucharist. Early Sunday-only Eucharist times are tough for me to pull off schedule and health wise. I am really at low ebb and in a ton of pain that time of day, and it's not fun to try to get going for something I don't really believe in (Episcopalian) or something at some level I feel is ethically wrong even if it's right on the facts (Roman Catholicism). Of course, there are plenty of Saturday mass times for Roman Catholics, but if I get angry when I go and can't take communion, it just starts to push me further from a place of spiritual peace. I sense no advancement.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Last edited:

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
All I can suggest is that if you are drawn to religion, don't force yourself to part from it; it obviously is important to you, perhaps more than you realise.

If you do feel like you are heading towards de-converting, it's best to understand it is an emotional, logical and ergo world view changing process(a journey if you will), and should not be rushed.

Follow what feels...right I guess is my advice, whatever you feel brings you closer to God(if applicable) and happiness.

Upvote 0

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God is the Pearl of Great Price. If you cannot give away everything you have that plants you into the way of the world you'll never make it to God.

Choose the path of Light or the path of dark. God will eventually make the choice for you if you do not respond.

This is all beyond human reason.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know that it's difficult to be Catholic and single.

I also understand the draw you felt towards the Episcopal Church. I think they have some wonderful programs and have a great sense of ministry, but if I want to do something with the Episcopals, I just do (maybe 3 times a year).

I understand your disagreements with Catholicism, and, being an East Coaster of "a certain age" I find myself just shaking my head. I often feel as if my Church (the one I came back to when I was 31 or so) has been hijacked by reactionaries, but I just keep on keepin' on and think, "You can hijack this building, but you can't hijack my heart."

But I kind of come to terms with it because I look at religion as a resource to support my relationship with God.

I am taking a theology course right now. I studiously avoided doing so for many years, but when people I respected took some courses and said that they were expansive rather than constricting, I decided to take the plunge.

At our last class, the professor (who had been in seminary for a time and almost has his PhD) said that in (I believe) the third year of seminary many seminarians go through a crisis of faith because all their neat little assumptions are shattered...

I think that priests preach a Catholic fundamentalism many of them have traveled beyond themselves....but they don't think that the rest of us are ready to.

And if we've traveled beyond it without them, we get grief.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Further, Jesus himself said that we were to move beyond the concept of an eye for an eye and turn the other cheek instead. If God himself says that, and presents it as an ethical advance that we're to strive for, what's the justification for God setting it aside and not following his own advice in the afterlife? Why are we supposed to be more ethically advanced in our practices than God himself is? Shouldn't *he* be more ethically advanced?

Jesus did say that...and you know what happened to Him?

Jesus_nailed_to_cross.jpg

Look what happened to his fellow Apostles; look at what early Christians had to endure under Roman rule. We don't have to just look at the history of Christianity, we can look at world history in general and there's no way getting out of the way of the bloodshed that has been spilled for over two millenia.

For vanity, for enterprise, for country, yes, even for religion. We have used and abused these rallying calls and in the process, people have been left massacred. To this day, we have people living in despair over policies enacted by other countries, people dying due to despotic leaders that have been put in place, torture and killings happen the world around...

It's not an eye for an eye; it's more along the lines of an eye for a set of a thousand eyes.

It's nice that we look at each other as brothers and sisters...but we can't brush aside that those same brothers, sisters are wicked, abusing others rightful gift to life, which is limited and a one shot deal on this spinning marble.

...If we're capable of killing the Son of God, we're capable of anything treacherous, and sure enough, we have.

I'd always wanted to be married from a young age, and could never find a wife, so at the time their waning admonitions (they were clearly slowly moving toward a new more liberal theology of sex) against pre-martial sex and stuff were also appealing relative to Roman Catholicism. Not as much as an issue these days, as I've kind of moved on from dating for personal reasons I'd rather not discuss too deeply (Not that I rule it out, I've just in practice stopped pursuing it, and I'm not the type of person who gets pursued or falls into relationships by random chance, not that I'd be against either, so in practice I don't really date anymore.)- suffice is to say I wasn't in much demand and was really struggling to find people, and feeling less satisfaction with the people I found, and didn't see the possibility of the long-term future I wanted (Between poverty, health issues, a tough to handle personality, and a lack of traditionally well received looks, people's patience would wear thin with me quickly if they didn't immediately rule me out, which most did, and I couldn't really handle things very well), and the quality of the women I was finding was noticeably lower in the areas I found important as time passed. I think I can deal with just hanging out with my dog a bit and trying to make the best of it better than what was happening to me in the dating world, and pursuing a goal that was incredibly consuming, frustrating, and heart breaking to pursue and wasn't really getting me anywhere.

Sounds like you need to start venturing into bigger cities: as that cliche goes, more "fish" to catch.

So, seven or eight years later, I feel like I've made no progress. I attended mass less and less as the years passed, I'm down to one every year or two now. I can't find peace with God and I don't agree with the way he is. I felt like I'd make progress on that, but I haven't. I feel further from God than I did as an Episcopalian. Some days and weeks and months and even years, I feel more like the atheist I was during my teenage years.

Can't really help you there.

Seeing the child abuse scandal and the coverup from news reports and so on, and seeing a radically politicized Republican bishopric acting in what I feel are immoral ways that are contrary to the Catholic faith, even, at times, doesn't help, although they aren't my primary issues.

Those were serious missteps by the Church. Although the bishop did tell people to not vote for Obama, I don't believe he told people to vote Romney. Also, one bishop =/= all bishops. Here in NY, we mostly had prayers that the country can look beyond it's differences and start to reunite rather than remain fractured.

Seven or eight years is a long time. I'm moving further from rather than closer to the life of the Church. I don't feel like this is getting resolved. It's just been in limbo.

Move to a different parish?

Yet, I can't seem to really reconcile with God as a Roman Catholic and truly be a confession going, weekly mass attending, full member of a Catholic faith community. It seems to go against my conscience in some way. I try to ease into it and never get there, and wind up non-religious for a while and trying to drift back and not quite getting there. I consider myself a Catholic, I was baptized a Catholic, but I can't seem to be a Catholic in many ways.

Or how about this: instead of making a plethora of posts on a forum, you join your local soup kitchen, clothing drive, toy drive (Christmas around the corner). More doing, less saying. And this isn't a jab at you, more to the point of everyone who calls themselves a Christian.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't really have anything substantive to add, except to say I know how you feel about not wanting to go if you can't take communion. I too have had long stretches of missing mass and I get farther away from God during those times. Does your parish offer Confession right before Mass? That's what helps me.

Prayers for you. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This will be shorter than I'd like because I'm away from the computer for a few days and not too good on the phone keypad...but I've had some very similar experiences and concerns. I spent many years in an Episcopal Church and have been led back to the Catholic faith. While the catalyst was likely a local Episcopal priest scandal, even though there is a great new priest at the Episcopal church, I feel like I'm back home at my Catholic parish. I'll share more of how that came about when I get back.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fish,
It's good to be "in touch" with you again, and thanks for the invitation to reply here to your message.

It's such a detailed one (but very well expressed) however, that I wonder where to start or how to give an answer that is at all beneficial. My choice is to give a few points that come to mind immediately and then see what happens.

1. What you've described is a problem or mindset that I believe to be widespread.

2. God has to be whatever he is, not what we would like him to be. I early on learned that if we fall for the kind of thinking that begins, "Well, I THINK that God is ____,____, and ____" we've missed the boat, theologically speaking. He may be a predestinarian or a universalist or a truly vengeful god...whatever. He is what he is. Our job is to discern, not fashion for ourselves a god that we think any god ought to be like.

This causes me to think that if you are convinced that the Catholic Church is the one church founded by Christ, you have to go with it. You cannot make that kind of affirmation and then also pick at the particulars (recognizing that I'm not speaking of transitory, non-doctrinal policy matters, etc.). IOW, you cannot go back to the Episcopal Church, having said what you did in this post.

3. However, the description of Hell you are working from is not the only one that's compatible with Catholic theology or that of many other churches. While very many people cannot make peace with a god who tortures most (or any) of his creatures for all of time, and you don't even think that such makes sense, look at it this way...

You said, "And even if we were to posit that torture in the afterlife *is* just, eventually it can't be just to be tortured for all of time and eternity, torture that quite literally can never end, for sin or misdeed committed in a finite time on earth, can it? The bible speaks of an eye for an eye, but even if you live 100 years on earth and do horrible things the whole time, being tortured for more than 100 times 100 years would be so much more than an eye for an eye."

We do, however, make bad decisions in this life that are eternal.

If we destroy certain things, they cannot ever be replaced and we are "condemned"--but not because some third party sentenced us to it--to have to live with that forever. A spat that breaks up a marriage can, in theory at least, be repaired. A drug or alcohol addiction can be kicked. But the death of a child or a cruel act towards someone who loves us can never really be ended, if you see what I mean. There will always be that pain and the clock cannot be turned back. We just have to live with it.

So also it may be with Hell--a place or state of torture, not because we have a torturer administering punishment but because we are forever going to have to live with the knowledge of what we ourselves did. That's hell, all right, but it's not Hellish because God is administering justice to you in retribution for you having failed his tests.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Fish,
It's good to be "in touch" with you again, and thanks for the invitation to reply here to your message.

You're welcome. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this and replies to the thread (Some I'll just read and ponder, others I may reply to later), and will continue to read anything further anyone else has to add or anything they want to expound upon. No one should read into a lack of reply as my not finding something helpful- I'm thinking about what everyone has to say, I just don't have an immediate reply for all of it that'd be meaningful and move the dialogue in the right direction (versus a tangent).

God has to be whatever he is, not what we would like him to be. I early on learned that if we fall for the kind of thinking that begins, "Well, I THINK that God is ____,____, and ____" we've missed the boat, theologically speaking. He may be a predestinarian or a universalist or a truly vengeful god...whatever. He is what he is. Our job is to discern, not fashion for ourselves a god that we think any god ought to be like.
I think you're basically hit on the crux of what my issue is. I mean God is one way, but I don't agree with the morality of that God's actions, demands, or mode of thought. That's a very restrictive pairing of beliefs, in a way, because it almost bars me from being a spiritual or religious person in anything more than a superficial or mild sense of the words, despite feeling persistently drawn to religion and spirituality. I suppose it doesn't bar me from finding beauty in a sunset or experiencing transcendence in the world in some way not directly related to God, but I have trouble in the long-term worshiping a God I believe is immoral, and I have trouble doing the mental gymnastics to remake God into a being I can commune with (I wouldn't even say worship as I don't think I, in my inner heart, believe that God should demand worship, I believe he should demonstrate the servant-leadership Jesus taught and seek communion with his creation without some sort of feudal lord-slave dynamic).

One could, and probably with good cause, argue that my real problem is that may mean I'm going to hell, but I feel like *if* that is the case (It's possible I may have diminished culpability under Catholic teaching for various reasons), it'll happen when it happens, and it's possible I'll be pleasantly surprised. It is what it is. I truthfully in some ways don't believe in free will as fully as most in western society. My more immediate issue, is, I suppose, what to do with my life here on earth when it comes to religion- I can't seem to be part of the church I think is true, I can't seem to be part of the church of my choosing, and I can't seem to, over the long haul, be able to pull away entirely and put religion aside permanently (Though I've tried all three options, the last one multiple times).

However, the description of Hell you are working from is not the only one that's compatible with Catholic theology
I think Rome has pretty definitively said that hell is a place of eternal physical torment of the damned. The Council of Florence even goes far as to say people will suffer different levels of physical torment in the afterlife according to their sins. I find it a hard thing to work around, theologically speaking, without saying that Rome simply has it wrong, and if I felt that way, this thread would be rendered fairly moot, or be about a different set of questions.

If we destroy certain things, they cannot ever be replaced and we are "condemned"--but not because some third party sentenced us to it--to have to live with that forever. A spat that breaks up a marriage can, in theory at least, be repaired. A drug or alcohol addiction can be kicked. But the death of a child or a cruel act towards someone who loves us can never really be ended, if you see what I mean. There will always be that pain and the clock cannot be turned back. We just have to live with it.
Ah, but if one posits that we all have immortal souls, as most of Christianity teaches, then anything we do on earth is by it's very nature temporary and passing. Those people that mass murderer killed- their souls still life on in the afterlife and will one day get new perfect physical bodies when God creates a new heaven and a new earth. That cruel act that causes someone else emotional turmoil? In theory, that emotional turmoil should end when and if said person goes to heaven, which is said to be a place of perfect happiness. So, no act on earth is eternal, and thus justice can not demand punishment that is eternal, which makes me feel that God is an unjust God to demand such.

So also it may be with Hell--a place or state of torture, not because we have a torturer administering punishment but because we are forever going to have to live with the knowledge of what we ourselves did.
I think Roman theology is pretty clear that in addition to anything else it may be, there are also physical torments that are not self-imposed (Except perhaps figuratively). Besides, there are plenty of people here on earth who seem to be able to live with whatever they've done without it literally torturing them in such a way that could be considered a consistent state of hell. And for those who can't, a loving God could even offer to wash away that memory or the pain associated with it. But he doesn't seem to.

It's a real problem for me that I see a God as being real who is less ethically advanced than many possible gods I can conceive of (Even though I believe those other gods do not exist). Seeing God as unethical, or at least ethically stunted in some respects, makes it hard to achieve any real religious development. It's like hitting a brick wall. It's something I saw as early as a very young child, which is why I become an atheist or an agnostic, I think more so than any real doubt God existed, though I did have some doubt on that score. I was somehow able to put it aside and moved forward (Perhaps because I'd first moved backwards), but then I bounced off the same wall, and keep bouncing off it, spiritually speaking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm going to restrict myself to one point, primarily because I think that I'll be singularly unhelpful to you in your difficulties - both because we don't know each other personally, and on this forum we're not exactly great friends.

Ah, but if one posits that we all have immortal souls, as most of Christianity teaches, then anything we do on earth is by it's very nature temporary and passing [etc]

That would certainly be the case, if the individual human person were not transcendent. If human nature is nothing more than a description of a set of beings who share a common, 24-chromosome basic structure beginning at Animalia, Cordata-Vertebrata.... humo sapiens, and does not then move beyond into a transcendent and real value whereby, as Maritain says, "A single human soul is worth more than the whole universe of material goods," then yes, every human action is by its very nature temporal and passing.

But in respect to beings such as us, we are not merely individuals who make up humanity as parts are related to a whole. Each human moral action is a function of a person whose value transcends time and place. The person is primarily related to God, and this relationship to God then overflows into relationship with others. In light of that, I wholeheartedly agree with Genersis, who says that atheism is a completely new worldview, philosophy, and emotional-framework. For the Christian, it is the relationship with God - as transcendent beings in relationship to a Transcendent Being - which is the foundation for ethics and relationship to other transcendent beings.

Because a human action transcends the realm of temporality, our actions of hate are transcendent as well. If I hate, I have done a crime to a person of unique and transcendent value, and because my actions are an overflowing of my relationship with God, I have done an crime to the Transcendent Being. Like every other action that transcends the merely temporal (e.g., the creation of a child through the temporal action of the parents), the consequences are eternal. Hence, an eternal negative consequence is not unjust; the consequence fits the action.

And so, I disagree that the mass murderer is being disproportionately "punished." The consequences of those actions transcend the merely temporal (id est, the "emotional turmoil" and the act itself), because human life is uniquely and eternally ordered to the image of God, and more foundationally is a sin against God Himself. All sin is like this.

On the other hand, all love is like this as well. I love my little brother; I always have. The love that I have for him is transcendental as well, because it is ordered to a uniquely and eternally formed person in the image of God. It is the transcendent love of the Most High which allows for redemption and salvation; so that transcendent love may be unfettered by transcendent hate.

To sum up, hell is not like Plato's Myth of Er, where the un-just dead receive punishment ten-times that of the evil they did in the world (and the just receive reward ten-times over), and that is because Plato did not posit a Transcendent-Lover. Actions of the human person have meaning that transcends the merely temporal; if all the copies of Eroica were destroy, the symphony would still remain. Our actions have meaning which is ordered to the eternal and the transcendent, and so it is not immoral that there should be an eternal consequence of human action.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 25, 2012
✟7,665.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you look at it that way, it's not a matter of being "pulled back" per se, it's a matter of you actively pursuing that experience because it is a part of who you are. It comes to mind often, I take it, and you feel 'whole' when you're at services (regardless of how hard it may be to attend sometimes).

When it comes to many of the especially difficult issues (Hell, the problem of Evil, etc.), the Episcopal Church tends to follow two steps:

1) Admit wholeheartedly that we simply don't know.
2) Err on the side of what is edifying.

The perfect example is the Real Presence. We believe that God is there during the Eucharist. How? Transubstantiation? Transignification? Consubstantiation? The mind boggles. We don't know. What's important is that he's there. :)

What about Hell? What *is* Hell? In the Episcopal Catechism -- the Outline of Faith -- this question is answered in the same vein:

Q. What do we mean by heaven and hell?
A. By heaven, we mean eternal life in our enjoyment of God; by hell, we mean eternal death in our rejection of God.

You're here, looking for a place of worship. Why? How? Doesn't matter. You're here. That's what's important. What you need to find is a community you can call your own where you're close to God. You're seeking him, not rejecting him, and by how many posts the ticker on the side of your profile says you've made on these forums, I'm pretty sure that's not going to change any time soon.

If you feel a pull to the Episcopal Church and have difficulty on Sunday mornings (and I feel the same way... I'm not a morning person) some churches hold services on Wednesday afternoons. Some even at other times, it really depends on what they do. Just reach out and talk to one of the local church's Rectors. They can find something that works as it's their job, and they tend to be pretty good at it.

If you can find that in a local Catholic church, go for it. It's an opportunity worth taking.

That's at least how I see it. :)

Upvote 0

KashiaJN142627

Sep 25, 2012
Olive Branch
✟15,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ commands us to Love Love Love. So I can not imagine God torturing someone forever, but perhaps if we do not leave our flesh with love of God in us, the eternal torture may be knowing the truth of Love that we never knew while here. And even then, in Love, I believe we would have opportunity to ......Love.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I sometimes think that maybe the right religion or community for me doesn't exist, but could exist. I wonder why there's never been an attempt to start over and do a faith that has at it's center love and acceptance of others and seeing wonder and transcendence in all things, with a specific set of liturgical seasons and customs, but without necessarily tying it back to a scripture or theological history that might not quite make sense in that context. Of course, I might see such a religion and immediately have an epiphany that it isn't what I was looking for at all, and things could really resolve in favor of a traditional Catholicism for me just by seeing what I thought maybe I wanted and realizing I didn't- or realizing it was fake.

I think the Episcopal Church maybe has stepped halfway towards that, but is at a point where it's caught between the world of being a historical Christian Church and being it's own thing- and thus doesn't entirely make sense in either context and sometimes lacks internal consistency. There might be an element of the cognitive dissonance there. The scripture and tradition doesn't quite match the teaching, at least in my mind, and that's hard for me to reconcile enough to participate in a real way these days.

The Unitarian Universalists sort of have made at an attempt at half of that, but without any attempt at liturgy or liturgical seasons, which leaves it feeling dry, without mooring, and lacking transcendence or a sense of time. It's roots in puritanism are clear not in it's actual philosophy, but in the spartan nature of it's buildings and services. I can't connect with that no matter how hard I try. Where Advent? Where's Lent? Where's anything that resembles them? Where's the incense? Where's the liturgy? Where's the sense of stepping outside the world?

I also wonder what would have happened had the Catholic Church continued in the spirit of Vatican II. What if John XXIII had been followed by a Pope a little more progressive than he was, and than Pope folowed by a Pope just a little more progressive than he was, and so on and so forth? Where would Catholicism be? Would it seem more obviously the place I need to be, or would it seem so different from it's roots that it would lose it's appeal or not make intellectual sense to me as something I could believe in as a continuation of the ancient church?

Prior to my time as an Episcopalian and exploring various churches, I became an atheist at a fairly young age, maybe as young as 10, but before than I was very religious in my own way, and I think it was because I could understand the beauty and the majesty of liturgy and liturgical seasons and a sense of God, and a connection to history, but religion didn't yet to seem to have any baggage for me.

There was this sense that Jesus is good and loves everyone unconditionally, and doesn't want much more than for us to try to be loving, to have a sense of spirituality, and to live life in a way that makes us happy without hurting others. And that the only people in hell would be the really bad people. Then I got a little older and saw a Jesus who banished people to hell for sexual sins, missing Church on Sunday, or something like putting anything before him- the type of Jesus who'd want you to take whatever it is you enjoy in life and give it all up to follow him. That second Jesus is probably in scripture and tradition as much as the first one, but I don't like the second one. He seems mean. I like the first one- but only as a young child, and briefly as an Episcopalian, could I believe that he existed.

I'm not one of those people who glorifies childhood as this great time. I hated being a child. My childhood was bad in many ways. When I was a child, I couldn't wait to be an adult, and even though my adulthood turned out badly in many respects, it still beats being a child, because at least I get to make my own decisions and do what I think is best. Sometimes I feel like religion makes it's mission to turn everyone into a child again, Jesus alluded to this sometimes, and I didn't even like being a child when I was a child- I could relate better to Jesus then, because I had less knowledge of him and my own understanding- but I don't think that the Jesus I understand today wants a return to childhood in that good respect. I sometimes feel more like he's a King or a dictator who demands obedience at the cost of our self-respect and independent ethical development and morals, and even at the expense of all that we love in this world, and I can't, and don't want to, worship that God. But yet, here I am. It's weird.

The idea of Jesus as a surrogate Father and an eternal childhood doesn't appeal to me. The idea of communing with a God who wants us all to be one in a spirituality communion of love where we're all adults and make our own choices in freedom, and who wants love as opposed to worship or obedience, that appeals to me. But God doesn't seem to be entirely either what I'd consider good or evil, which makes it hard to say "Yes" or No" and stick with it and move on. Love conditioned on worship and obedience seems twisted to me in a way that seems hard to really articulate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0