Visit site
✟234,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I visited a small Orthodox parish (OCA) in Southeastern PA for Liturgy this morning on account of some training I occasionally have to attend to in that area, and this is the second time that I was there for Liturgy since October of last year, and I was left with a feeling that the parish has somehow managed to build a strange sort of cocoon around itself, in an unsettling way being closed in upon itself and isolated, as if it's functioning as a mere local club of sorts, with no design or purpose beyond that. I don't know why I'm getting that impression. Perhaps it's because I'm a cleric that the lay people react to my presence in such a way as to lead me to having this impression of them. It's a curious thing to me. Maybe they'd interact with me differently if I wasn't wearing that riassa (outer cassock) that Fr. Matthew (ArmyMatt) gave me from Elijah's Mantle? I don't know. I get strange vibes about the people there. But maybe the problem is with me and my expectations? Just musing about the thing.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,970.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My limited experience tells me that each parish has its own culture. It’s really hard to say. For the first 10 years that I was orthodox, I lived under the present impression that my parish was one big, mostly happy family, and that the people worshiping next to me shared my beliefs. I was gradually disillusioned of that, watching first divorce, then liberal approval by some of sexual anarchy, and finally conservatism allied with Stalinism in response, tear that parish apart. I knew about the other local parishes, they had occasional interactions with us. I had known of issues in the parish in America which I indirectly attended for two years as a nonbeliever, but I was mostly looking at them from the outside.
But could people treat church merely as a social club? Of course.

• Informative
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I visited a small Orthodox parish (OCA) in Southeastern PA for Liturgy this morning on account of some training I occasionally have to attend to in that area, and this is the second time that I was there for Liturgy since October of last year, and I was left with a feeling that the parish has somehow managed to build a strange sort of cocoon around itself, in an unsettling way being closed in upon itself and isolated, as if it's functioning as a mere local club of sorts, with no design or purpose beyond that. I don't know why I'm getting that impression. Perhaps it's because I'm a cleric that the lay people react to my presence in such a way as to lead me to having this impression of them. It's a curious thing to me. Maybe they'd interact with me differently if I wasn't wearing that riassa (outer cassock) that Fr. Matthew (ArmyMatt) gave me from Elijah's Mantle? I don't know. I get strange vibes about the people there. But maybe the problem is with me and my expectations? Just musing about the thing.
back when I temporarily acted as Vladyka Mark’s subdeacon, I got that vibe from a few parishes in that area of PA.

• Informative
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I was a seminarian, I visited a Greek church in the Boston area. When I told a classmate, he chuckled and asked me how it was. I said that it was the most unfriendly church I'd ever been to. He said, YUP! Unless you are Greek, you won't be welcome there.

• Agree
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pennsylvania is the state equivalent of someone who's life peaked in high school with Pittsburgh as the city equivalent. The parishes have some nice people, but yeah, there's a certain parochialism there. I think parochialism may be worst in Pennsylvania then any other state in the union and it is NOT limited to OCA PA parishes, it's all of them up there.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Pennsylvania is the state equivalent of someone who's life peaked in high school with Pittsburgh as the city equivalent. The parishes have some nice people, but yeah, there's a certain parochialism there. I think parochialism may be worst in Pennsylvania then any other state in the union and it is NOT limited to OCA PA parishes, it's all of them up there.
Parochialism, I think, sort of describes the essence of it I guess. I grew up in a PA parish, but it was way up in the Northwest tip and not far from Ohio and I don't think the social environment was the same as this one. In this one there was a general lack of interest towards me as a visitor, and only the priest made sure to take the time to greet me, and nobody else at all gave a darn, one way or another, that someone from out of town was there or what brought me there. There was no enthusiasm, no curiosity, nothing. Only indifference, at least towards me. I did notice decent things about them.

Upvote 0