• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling to get a diagnosis

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only deficiency I have is vitamin D, and I take a supplement for that. Occasionally I get anemic because of female issues. When that happens I take iron until the level is built back up, and I then stop. I don't do supplements or major dietary changes without doctor recommendation.

I have attempted to switch to eating the Swank Diet, but that is because it isn't really out of the ordinary and is so close to what I already do anyway.

I hesitate on pain management because I am sensitive to drug side effects. I also found that when I am in pain I know that I need to slow down and take care of myself. If I'm not feeling pain, then I don't realize how bad it is, and I keep going when I should not. I'd rather be in pain and know that I need to take it easy for a little while, than to keep pushing myself more than I should. Also, treating the pain does not fix the problem that causes it, and it takes away from funds I could use for other needed things.

I have taken one of the prescriptions for pain on weekends only so that I can rest more easily. However during the work week when I have to be doing my job and driving around, I don't take them because of drowsiness and I'm keeping tabs on how much pain I'm in so I know when to slow down at work and how much rest I need at home at the end of the day.

Most of us do not get near enough of the 90 essential nutrients that need. How much selenium do you get from your diet? Bloodwork is not a good way to know this because the body tries to suck nutrients from other places to keep the nutrient levels in the blood constant. Your bones, your lungs, your muscles, you liver, your skin, your hair, etc. Your body will take minerals away from these areas if it deems it necessary. My advice to you is to not change anything you are doing, but get on a high quality broad based nutritional supplement that gives you many times the RDA and do it for one month and see if you feel any different. The very thing that your body needs to run is what you're giving it.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As I said, I don't do supplements or major dietary changes without doctor recommendation, specifically, a doctor who is treating me and knows my history. I will not be adding anything to what I already take. Earlier in this thread I explained that I had gone to a naturopath and was given an extreme and expensive diet to follow and high dose vitamins and supplements without even know what is wrong with me. I'm not doing it. Also, just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe or that extra is needed.

I don't mean to be offensive, but I'm not looking for advice as to what to do. I was really just wanting to discuss the struggle that occurs while you're trying to get a diagnosis. I didn't expect people on here to try to diagnose me themselves and tell me what I need to do about it.

Really this is one of the complaints I had in an earlier post. People at work were thinking they know what I need, when none of them are medical professionals or know all the details of what is going on for me. How can any of you know what is right or best for me? Or even what is wrong?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I think you have to see a neurologist to get checked for MS, or is it someone else?

Neurologists do treat MS. Other doctors can take part in it, too. The thing about diagnosing it is that everything else has to be ruled out first, and then they have to see two active lesions in two different places at two different times in MRIs, at least that is what I have been told by my doctor. There are different kinds of doctors who can see it if they are looking at your MRI.

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said, I don't do supplements or major dietary changes without doctor recommendation, specifically, a doctor who is treating me and knows my history. I will not be adding anything to what I already take. Earlier in this thread I explained that I had gone to a naturopath and was given an extreme and expensive diet to follow and high dose vitamins and supplements without even know what is wrong with me. I'm not doing it. Also, just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe or that extra is needed.

I don't mean to be offensive, but I'm not looking for advice as to what to do. I was really just wanting to discuss the struggle that occurs while you're trying to get a diagnosis. I didn't expect people on here to try to diagnose me themselves and tell me what I need to do about it.

Really this is one of the complaints I had in an earlier post. People at work were thinking they know what I need, when none of them are medical professionals or know all the details of what is going on for me. How can any of you know what is right or best for me? Or even what is wrong?

The advice I gave to you is what I would give to anybody else with any problem. We are all made up of trillions of cells and once our cells remain healthy then we cannot get sick. Our cells need basic things to be able to be healthy. 1. Nutrients. 2. Oxygen 3. To be detoxified

I don't want to cause any problem neither offend anybody. However, it is wrong to think that a medical doctor knows what is best for you, they know what they have been trained in and they follow set protocols. Medical Doctors are not trained in nutrition which is why they refer some patients to nutritionists. They are not trained in detoxification methods. They are not trained in reversing diseases. They are trained in allopathic medicine which teaches the use of surgery and drugs to treat disease, not prevent or reverse disease. Medical Doctors are good at what they are trained to do, but not every problem warrants that kind of training. Drugs are toxic to the body and you cannot provide a toxic substance to try to make someone healthy.

Upvote 0