• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

struggling for help and an accurate diagnosis

T

tonybuck

hello, im tony. i believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior, im 30 yrs old, married 6 years and have 4 children.

i was diagnosed with GAD, depression and adjustment disorder when i was 13. ever since i have fought cycles of these issues and they have effected every aspect of my life.

now that i am married and work full time, the stress and pressure of being the sole provider takes a heavy toll on me, especially when i struggle with my issues. cant eat, cant focus, cant be there for my wife and kids like i should.

i have been with the same therapist for 2 years now. she originally felt that my diagnosis was accurate. then after a while she suspected adult ADD. she referred me to a new psychiatrist who through mailed questionaires stated i might have BPD. it shocked me and those who i trust and know my issues didnt really think it was accurate. i never followed through with the new psychiatrist bc she was out on medical leave for too long and by the time i decided to persue the possible BPD diagnosis, they could no longer assign me to a different psychiatrist.

i am currently seeking a new option that has presented itself. in the mean time i am being seen by a mental health nurse practicioner. while i have been on Effexor XR 150mg and .25mg of xanax as needed, he added 40mg of prozac bc i have been pretty depressed and more anxious.

i am torn up with guilt and shame. i have been isolating myself from friends, family and church. when im in these dark times i feel as though i will be forever condemned to these horrible episodes of intense depression, anxiety, doubt and fear.

my therapist, since i told her the results of my questionaire, is now convinced thatBPD is my issue. i mean she has felt for a long time that my meds arent really working for me but i feel like my issues and symptoms could be anything rooted in anxiety and depression.

im scared and trying to trust in the Lord for better wisdom, doctors and medicine but i dont want to be fool about this either.

what are the hallmarks of BPD.? how do i have faith and patience with the process? i still need to function at work and at home.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hello, im tony. i believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior, im 30 yrs old, married 6 years and have 4 children.

i was diagnosed with GAD, depression and adjustment disorder when i was 13. ever since i have fought cycles of these issues and they have effected every aspect of my life.

now that i am married and work full time, the stress and pressure of being the sole provider takes a heavy toll on me, especially when i struggle with my issues. cant eat, cant focus, cant be there for my wife and kids like i should.

i have been with the same therapist for 2 years now. she originally felt that my diagnosis was accurate. then after a while she suspected adult ADD. she referred me to a new psychiatrist who through mailed questionaires stated i might have BPD. it shocked me and those who i trust and know my issues didnt really think it was accurate. i never followed through with the new psychiatrist bc she was out on medical leave for too long and by the time i decided to persue the possible BPD diagnosis, they could no longer assign me to a different psychiatrist.

i am currently seeking a new option that has presented itself. in the mean time i am being seen by a mental health nurse practicioner. while i have been on Effexor XR 150mg and .25mg of xanax as needed, he added 40mg of prozac bc i have been pretty depressed and more anxious.

i am torn up with guilt and shame. i have been isolating myself from friends, family and church. when im in these dark times i feel as though i will be forever condemned to these horrible episodes of intense depression, anxiety, doubt and fear.

my therapist, since i told her the results of my questionaire, is now convinced thatBPD is my issue. i mean she has felt for a long time that my meds arent really working for me but i feel like my issues and symptoms could be anything rooted in anxiety and depression.

im scared and trying to trust in the Lord for better wisdom, doctors and medicine but i dont want to be fool about this either.

what are the hallmarks of BPD.? how do i have faith and patience with the process? i still need to function at work and at home.

Here are the traits of BPD, as accepted by psychological professionals. You don't need to have signs of all the behaviors to be diagnosed, I believe it is five that is required.

My ex wife had BPD and it is a very very difficult disorder to deal with. The good news for you, is you appear willing to get help, when many with BPD will refuse help or make it so difficult on the mental health professional, they leave therapy.

The important thing, is to find a PHD level therapist that is highly trained in working with BPD and diagnosing the same. There are many professionals, who are either not skilled at properly diagnosing the disorder, or treating it properly. As a general rule, medications are not the treatment of choice for BPD.

Borderline Personality Disorder

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a serious mental illness that can be challenging for everyone involved, including the individuals with the illness, as well their friends and family members. BPD is characterized by impulsivity and instability in mood, self-image, and personal relationships. The treatments and longer-term studies of BPD offer hope for good outcomes for most individuals who live with BPD. Ideas to name the condition in a manner that better describes the pattern of concerns (e.g., Emotion Dysregulation Disorder) have been advanced but no name change to the condition is planned for the release of DSM-5.

What is borderline personality disorder (BPD) and how is it diagnosed?

Borderline personality disorder is diagnosed by mental health professionals following a comprehensive psychiatric interview that may include talking with a person’s previous clinicians, review of prior records, a medical evaluation, and when appropriate, interviews with friends and family. There is no specific single medical test (e.g., blood test) to diagnose BPD and a diagnosis is not based on a single sign or symptom. Rather, BPD is diagnosed by a mental health professional based on sustained patterns of thinking and behavior in an individual. Some people may have “borderline personality traits” which means that they do not meet criteria for diagnosis with BPD but have some of the symptoms associated with this illness.

Individuals with BPD usually have several of the following symptoms, many of which are detailed in the DSM-IV-TR:

Marked mood swings with periods of intense depressed mood, irritability and/or anxiety lasting a few hours to a few days (but not in the context of a full-blown episode of major depressive disorder or bipolar disorder).
Inappropriate, intense or uncontrollable anger.
Impulsive behaviors that result in adverse outcomes and psychological distress, such as excessive spending, sexual encounters, substance use, shoplifting, reckless driving or binge eating.
Recurring suicidal threats or non-suicidal self-injurious behavior, such as cutting or burning one’s self.
Unstable, intense personal relationships, sometimes alternating between “all good,” idealization, and “all bad,” devaluation.
Persistent uncertainty about self-image, long-term goals, friendships and values.
Chronic boredom or feelings of emptiness.
Frantic efforts to avoid abandonment.

Upvote 0
T

tonybuck

i am currently seeking a second opinion from a psychiatrist, my only concern is that i will only be seeing thier nurse practicioner. i have been going to my local mental health clinic since i was 13. thier services and quality were always a little suspect, but i did well when i stayed on my meds. now that i have a careernand family, its very hard to live with the instability of issues. about 2 years ago i got really low and commited myself to stay on my meds 100% and stick with the same counselor for at least a year through so that they could see all my ups amd downs.

honestly ive thought i was cyclothymic, bipolar 2, adult add, but she thinks that borderline explains alot and that my depression amd anxiety are now secondary in her view. she said its harder to see in men and im like the first male that shes had where it makes sense.

i a, struggling with this a as possible diagnosis. it sounds so .... scary.

any men here that can share thier borderline experience?

thanks,

Tony

Upvote 0

JAT7

Nov 29, 2013
Florida, U.S.A
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I am also struggling with bpd, ptsd, and depression. I am struggling to find a therapist that has the time start therapy with me (I would need an on call full time) but I suggest. behavioral therapy, they help you recognize and deal with issues rationally. god bless

Upvote 0

emilie mayer

Jun 22, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like me about a yr ago :) . The best remedy is to pray for wisdom and understanding. Sometimes we go through things so we can learn to trust the Lord. Trust doesnt happen overnight to 90% of us. We grow with the Lord and it takes time. The more we learn and see God working with us the more faith we get. Gods in control. God is yalls sole provider.

Upvote 0

JAT7

Nov 29, 2013
Florida, U.S.A
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like me about a yr ago :) . The best remedy is to pray for wisdom and understanding. Sometimes we go through things so we can learn to trust the Lord. Trust doesnt happen overnight to 90% of us. We grow with the Lord and it takes time. The more we learn and see God working with us the more faith we get. Gods in control. God is yalls sole provider.

I've gotten a lot better with my paranoia and my extreme social phobia after praying, reading the bible and surrounding myself with positivity so that does help more than my therapist ever did. I have a diary in which I write to God giving him thanks, asking for forgiveness and strength... I let him know about the good, bad, and the irrelevant. It helps me a lot too.

Upvote 0

ganan emeth

Dec 7, 2013
earth
✟15,153.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
As a young man some tried to force me to take prescription mind drugs, i refused. Strongly.

The confusion in my life has been the result of complete family disorder, meaning that i was surrounded by violence and abuse, all ofth difficulties i have experienced are the obvious result. Neglecting to teach me of God was a huge blow to my growth.

From experience to date, i can confess truly that The Mind of Christ is never confused, depressed or indicisive.
We are counseled to seek the reign of God (the kingdom is inside us) and His righteoussnes, and that God will not withhold good.

Not having a good recommendation for you about therapists or medications, i can only recommend The Physician as the top therapist in all fields. :)

Please know that i do not make light of your suffering and in many ways can relate, but i have only found freedom in Christ, in a very close communion. It is necessary for me to always deny myself and to follow as He leads.

It is a for real relationship. There is no trick, no special words. For everyone who will, you must seek Jesus Christ as The King, The Lord and The Friend Who you may always trust to never let go.
Available to us, not fear... power, love and a sound mind.
:bow::prayer::groupray::prayer::bow:

Upvote 0