NW England
✟1,053,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes that's a bold statement, especially because there are those who just love to get out there and yell at people... telling them they're headed for hell... but in my experience, no one cares.

Where I live, I don't think I have seen a single person ever approach a street preacher. I mean, not even once. I have have seen people laugh at them, but never approach.

There is a street preacher in our city centre every day. I have seen many approach him and seen him with his Bible open, explaining something to them. I mean, obviously I don't know WHY they've stopped to talk. It could be for the same reason that I used to talk to JWs - if they're answering your questions or whatever, they're not troubling other people. But it is possible that they are interested, want to know why he does this every day and what it's all about.

Why do people think this is an effective means to spreading the gospel?!?

Maybe the Lord has told them to share the Gospel in that way - it doesn't mean they're not using other methods as well.
Maybe they came to faith through hearing a street preacher.
Maybe, as they read the Gospels, this was the kind of preaching they saw being practiced.
Maybe they have a passion for proclaiming the Gospel to as many people as possible, and this seems the best way.

Wouldn't developing relationships be a more effective method?

Interesting you ask this.
I came into this forum because I am studying evangelism and evangelism methods. It has been said that friendship evangelism could be kind of false - i.e you only try to make friends with someone in order to preach the Gospel. I think it sounds great, because this is what happened in the Incarnation; God came to US and lived among us. But you'd have to make sure you don't end the friendship if they fail to respond to the Gospel. That would be awful; showing an interest in someone just because you want to convert them, and dropping them if they are not interested.

Upvote 0

Jimbo Hall

Sep 13, 2016
North Carolina
✟10,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have people approach me all the time when out street preaching. The problem is most phony "christians" want you to only preach on the love of God. But I think the worst thing a christian can tell a sinner is "Jesus loves you". That brings no conviction, it only hardens their heart to the truth. The truth being it's not God's unconditional love that is abiding on sinners but God's wrath, John 3:36. The problem we have at least in America is christians think they can sin and love God at the same time, WHAT NONSENSE!

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have people approach me all the time when out street preaching. The problem is most phony "christians" want you to only preach on the love of God. But I think the worst thing a christian can tell a sinner is "Jesus loves you".
The alternative would be?

Upvote 0

Jimbo Hall

Sep 13, 2016
North Carolina
✟10,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The truth being it's not God's unconditional love that is abiding on sinners but God's wrath, John 3:36.
No where in scripture can I find Jesus, apostle, disciple, or a old time prophet preach or witness to sinners "God loves you". The only verse that most people go to is John 3:16, but the context of that is He was talking to one man at night who was a pharisee, a ruler of the Jews. Needless to say two verses later Jesus condemns EVERYONE who doesn't believe in Him.
Jesus was a Hellfire preacher. We need more Hellfire preachers in America. Because we know their are way too many sissy preachers who like to tickle ears.

Upvote 0

Jimbo Hall

Sep 13, 2016
North Carolina
✟10,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 3:3-7

Are you showing this passage as if John is telling sinners "God loves you"?
If so have you read verse 7 and 9?
I like the part where he calls them a "generation of vipers" and then talks about God's wrath that is to come. I also like the part where he says "every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was a Hellfire preacher. We need more Hellfire preachers in America. Because we know their are way too many sissy preachers who like to tickle ears.
You're too funny man. You actually believe anyone cares about that?? I have had some fairly radical views at times in my life... You know how many people have said I'm going to hell... a ton. Guess how much I care?? lol :rolleyes:

What you're talking about is far more ineffective than telling people God loves them. Have fun with that one. :D

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you showing this passage as if John is telling sinners "God loves you"?
If so have you read verse 7 and 9?
I like the part where he calls them a "generation of vipers" and then talks about God's wrath that is to come. I also like the part where he says "every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire."

Just that I consider John a street preacher

Reactions: Jimbo Hall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimbo Hall

Sep 13, 2016
North Carolina
✟10,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just that I consider John a street preacher
Sorry I thought you was talking to me.
Yes he was along with many other servants of God in the bible.
Isaiah 58:1 Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.

Upvote 0

Jimbo Hall

Sep 13, 2016
North Carolina
✟10,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're too funny man. You actually believe anyone cares about that?? I have had some fairly radical views at times in my life... You know how many people have said I'm going to hell... a ton. Guess how much I care?? lol :rolleyes:

What you're talking about is far more ineffective than telling people God loves them. Have fun with that one. :D

First off why have you had people telling you that you are going to hell? Is it because you are living in sin? If so you should care about that.

And who are YOU to say it is far more ineffective to preach the fear of God than the love of God?
I've seen first hand what the message "God loves you" does to sinners.
Go to a homo pride event and preach the bible and you will see what I'm talking about. There is a bunch of ungodly sinners who say "God loves and accepts me just the way that I am." What nonsense!

Tetra I think you don't know your bible.

Psalms 11:5 The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence His soul HATETH.
6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
7 For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness; His countenance doth behold the upright.

Psalms 5:4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou HATEST all workers of iniquity.
6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will ABHOR the bloody and deceitful man.

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First off why have you had people telling you that you are going to hell? Is it because you are living in sin? If so you should care about that.
I suppose that would depend on what "living in sin" means to you. However, I stated why, I had had radical views at times in my life... people tend to disagree with them... and no, I couldn't care less. Why would I care if someone told me I'm going to hell?? :confused:

And who are YOU to say it is far more ineffective to preach the fear of God than the love of God?
Silly question, I could ask you the same thing... Who are YOU to say otherwise? Well I suspect it would be based on our experiences. In my experience, most people wouldn't care if you told them they were going to hell... I know I don't. Most people where I live completely ignore street preachers anyways.

Tetra I think you don't know your bible.

Psalms 11:5 The Lord trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence His soul HATETH.
6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
7 For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness; His countenance doth behold the upright.

Psalms 5:4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.
5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou HATEST all workers of iniquity.
6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the Lord will ABHOR the bloody and deceitful man.
Yes those are Bible verses, what's your point?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have people approach me all the time when out street preaching. The problem is most phony "christians" want you to only preach on the love of God. But I think the worst thing a christian can tell a sinner is "Jesus loves you".

You're kidding???
In a world where people are going from relationship to relationship, looking for love, or where they might get involved with some unsuitable people because they crave love and acceptance, where they are shunning the church because they see God as a strict disciplinarian who punishes, with suffering, those who don't believe in him; you don't want to tell these people that the One who created them loves them? You think it ok for them to be scared of God, or see him as a figure of cruelty or indifference?

That brings no conviction, it only hardens their heart to the truth.

Not in my experience.
People respond to love. They may respond to threats, but only out of fear.

The truth being it's not God's unconditional love that is abiding on sinners but God's wrath, John 3:36.

It may be news to you, but God loves sinners.
He loved us all so much that he sent his perfect, spotless Son to lay down his life for us, so that we could be reconciled to him and become his children. You don't offer to die for someone if you hate them.
God's wrath is for sinners who have had every opportunity to hear about his love, grace and accept his free gift of salvation, and say "No, I'm fine on my own; I don't need you/believe in you."

Reactions: Tetra
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Discernment.

Jesus' discernment is what is "key" here, for us, in ANY "witnessing". Jesus knew what the needs of each person was. To those who were so weighed down with their sin and with an acute awareness of it, He forgave and healed, and He was a LIFTER of their head. For those with "hard hearts" He came out and said it like it was. It was to "warn" those who "had ears to hear" and to "hungry hearts" seeking grace and welcoming it.

ANY "preaching", "witnessing" should be governed and motivated by "love" and "grace", for we are ALL in need of His grace. When we look out into a "sea of faces", there "we" are. There we are, in our various "stages" of unbelief and rejection of the grace of God.

The bottom line is, that it is NOT "indecent" to speak of "hell fire", simply because "hell fire" is what it is. It IS "hell", and it IS "fire". We must not shrink back and never speak of it, as if it's a "shameful" thing to do.

When ALL is done in "love", God is at the helm, and we just "speak" it.

Fearlessly.

And it is because it's "medicinal".

It's the "cure" for ALL of our spiritual "ills".

May God grant us the wisdom, discernment, and clarity to speak what He prompts us to.

And fearlessly.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No where in scripture can I find Jesus, apostle, disciple, or a old time prophet preach or witness to sinners "God loves you".

Jesus may not have said this in words, but he sure said it by his actions.
When he met a Samaritan woman by a well, did he say "you have had 5 husbands and are living with someone you're not married to; you will burn in hell unless you repent?" No. He Talked to her, revealed to her that he was the Messiah and spoke to her about the Holy Spirit.
When they brought to him a woman who had been caught in the act of committing adultery, did he say "you're going to hell for breaking one of the commandments" and then tell people to obey the law and stone her to death? No. He told the crowd that the person who had never sinned at all should throw the first stone. He did tell her to sin no more, but refused to condemn her.
When he met people who were blind, deaf, had leprosy or were paralysed, did he say "you are like this because you have sinned; it's God's way of telling you to repent?" No; he healed them. He sometimes said, "your sins are forgiven", but not always. Sometimes he didn't speak of sin at all; he just healed. People praised God, and some put their faith in him, because of his miracles - he showed the power of God, and his love and care for people.

Jesus was a Hellfire preacher.

You must have a different Bible to me, then.

We need more Hellfire preachers in America.

I can't comment on that.

Because we know their are way too many sissy preachers who like to tickle ears.

Really?
Have you ever done a survey, to find out how people respond to preachers; whether they are convicted by "hellfire" sermons, or respond better to those that speak of God's love, grace, care and mercy?
Sounds to me like you are condemning preachers who don't preach as you believe they should - almost like they are saying "what kind of sermon will make us popular?" and delivering that?

In my experience, if you say to someone "you are a sinner", they will almost always think, "no I'm not" - their definition of sin being murder, or the like. You need to preach God's holiness, how no one can ever be good enough to earn his love and reach his high standards, and then tell the Good News - that he sent Jesus for them.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I thought you was talking to me.
Yes he was along with many other servants of God in the bible.
Isaiah 58:1 Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.

Ha, I got drug off a loudmouth drunk who insulted the girls at our church one Sat night while street witnessing in Wilmington NC :oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ha, I got drug off a loudmouth drunk who insulted the girls at our church one Sat night while street witnessing in Wilmington NC :oldthumbsup:

No yu din't, O son of thunder!!!

LOL!

Did yu also pray fer da man?

:D

• Haha
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, later, but from the look in his eyes he did have a sudden change of heart and I'm sure he reflected later on too .. ^_^

Maybe it was that Jesus in the Temple thing you pulled, brother...

^_^

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0