Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the big surprises about trying to write was learning about some of the strange rules people have come up with for how we should write.

The strangest one was when someone hit me with the notion that we shouldn't use "to be" verbs--is, are, was, were. That seemed up there with the idea that to live well you shouldn't breathe. When I came on this advice, I decided to take a look as some books by fairly popular writers, mostly just the first page or two of their books, and see if they used those words. Most of them did, and several times, so I pretty much dismissed this idea, though I also know it's still out there.

A few others I've encountered: don't use adverbs, don't use adjectives, don't write long sentences, don't use the word "there" to start a sentence; don't use "said" as a dialogue tag.

My opinion is that these rules are mostly unhelpful, because they are at best stop-gaps for the important issue: writers need to know how to write well, and writing well is much more an art than anything else.

Perhaps these rules do point to a problem; perhaps people have annoyingly overused adverbs, perhaps it was the bad use of "was" that was responsible for what was to become the rule against "was", perhaps there were people who just kept their sentences going on and on and on and...

Still, outside of maybe some writing lessons or to try a fascinating challenge, these rules should be ignored.

Last edited:

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
"Writers" often forget that the goal is to just enjoy yourself. Personally? I see writing as a form of acting, so it's my chance to test out different facets of myself that aren't otherwise reasonable in everyday life.

Sure, if there's somebody out there who wants to read my works, fantastic, but that's not the primary goal for me. It never was. I think if you put pressure on yourself to be good, you probably won't be. And if publication is your only interest, then you're in essence, writing to please somebody else - which is a killer from a creative standpoint.

Anyway, just an opinion.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
One of the big surprises about trying to write was learning about some of the strange rules people have come up with for how we should write.

The strangest one was when someone hit me with the notion that we shouldn't use "to be" verbs--is, are, was, were. That seemed up there with idea that to live well you shouldn't breathe. When I came on this advice, I decided to take a look as some books by fairly popular writers, mostly just the first page or two of their books, and see if they used those words. Most of them did, and several times, so I pretty much dismissed this idea, though I also know it's still out there.

A few others I've encountered: don't use adverbs, don't use adjectives, don't write long sentences, don't use the word "there" to start a sentence; don't use "said" as a dialogue tag.

My opinion is that these rules are mostly unhelpful, because they are at best stop-gaps for the important issue: writers need to know how to write well, and writing well is much more an art than anything else.

Perhaps these rules do point to a problem; perhaps people have annoyingly overused adverbs, perhaps it was the bad use of "was" that was responsible for what was to become the ruler against "was", perhaps there were people who just kept their sentences going on and on and on and...

Still, outside of maybe some writing lessons or to try a fascinating challenge, these rules should be ignored.
There are teachers in the contention for Teacher of the Year, who teach the most useless curricula --but they teach it very well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coady

Apr 14, 2019
Ohio
✟21,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
I read about formulas for romantic novels that you should follow if you ever want to get published. It's highly developed. But to me, it's kind of like x's and o's in sports which are ok. But you can't quite make it without that sixth sense and innate ability.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The strangest one was when someone hit me with the notion that we shouldn't use "to be" verbs--is, are, was, were.

I took creative writing during my senior year > 1965-66. And I was told the avoid adjectives thing. Instead, if I remember right, I needed to use actions, so people can draw their own conclusions about adjectives, and be drawn into more active reading.

And we had the rule not to use images which were "trite", such as "the dog was as big as an elephant". Instead, say the dog could not fit through the doorway. Or, he might as well have had a trunk like an elephant so he could reach his water dish in the kitchen, from the doorway.

But I think "creative" can mean not like others and not by other people's rules, but it is created writing. But doing it in a way just to be different would, I think, not be how to do it. But in case I mean it for others, write it so it can be good and helpful for the ones I am sharing with.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was always told to show, not tell.
"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 3:4)

Our example can write in people's hearts.

1 Peter 3:1-4 to me means Christian wives can use their example to help any disobedient husband to find out how to live with God and how to relate in His love. Peter says they can do this, "without a word".

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The strangest one was when someone hit me with the notion that we shouldn't use "to be" verbs--is, are, was, were. That seemed up there with idea that to live well you shouldn't breathe. When I came on this advice, I decided to take a look as some books by fairly popular writers, mostly just the first page or two of their books, and see if they used those words. Most of them did, and several times, so I pretty much dismissed this idea, though I also know it's still out there.

Perhaps these rules do point to a problem; perhaps people have annoyingly overused adverbs, perhaps it was the bad use of "was" that was responsible for what was to become the ruler against "was", perhaps there were people who just kept their sentences going on and on and on and...

I always try to write short sentences. I use the active verb tense instead of the passive tense. An example of active tense is, the dog crossed the street. An example of passive tense is, the street was crossed by the dog.

Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was always told to show, not tell. I’m not planning on publishing any of my work, so i don’t really care.
I struggled with the "show don't tell" thing for a while, and I think there could be a good way of looking at it, and a not-so-good way.

The good way has to do with scenes where the action is essentially skimmed over: Joe drove to the store, bought some stuff, and went home. I've read things like that a lot. There are better ways of writing that kind of scene: Late at night, Joe's very pregnant wife had a sudden craving for sushi and chocolate sauce, so being the dutiful and loving husband he is, he drove 20 miles to the only all-night grocery story still open to get her the food she wanted.

The bad way is when it seems like people expect books to be movies, and reading a book to be like watching a movie. For example, when they say "Show don't tell" whenever a story gets into the head of a character, telling us what that character is thinking in the given situation.

Upvote 0

bhillyard

Mar 1, 2010
U.K.
✟283,879.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
My wife told me that her head teacher told the staff not to use conjunctions (and, but...) at the start of a sentence. I had to laugh. I was reading The Book of Common Prayer which abounds in such constructions and is considered to be an example of really good English .

Reactions: Bramblewild
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums