Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Homie
Hoonbaba, thanks for your posts, seems you have put alot of work into them.

About inheriting sin, does not seem fair to me at all. At the times of the OT, the family was everything, to bring on your seed and family name meant everything. Inhereting sin seems to fit well with those times but not now. Should the german kids be to blame for what their nazi-grandparents did? Doesn't seem fair.

Homie,

I'm actually in agreement, well sorta....the 'generational sin' is actually part of the Old Covenant curse.  However, in the New Covenant, through Christ that curse is broken off :)

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree." (Gal 3:13)

Hope that helps!

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

The Thadman

Jul 3, 2002
✟2,318.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Homie
Also these passages indicates that God uses evil spirits:
Judges 9:23 -- "Jud 9:23 Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech:"
1 Samuel 16:14 -- "1Sa 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him."

"Evil" is a poor translation. "Injurious" or "purgative" would be better for these two instances. "Evil" spirits are litterally "unclean" ones, and the word for "unclean" (provided my memory is working correctly) is not seen in either of those passages.

Shlomo! (Peace!)

Upvote 0

settergren

In Christ Alone
Feb 2, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Matthew
You certainly are bringing up a lot! Judges 9:23 - "God sent an evil spirit", and 1 Samuel 16:14 - "an evil spirit from the LORD", do indicate that God uses evil spirits/demons. But that doesn't mean that God directly sent them. He could have arranged circumstances so that they freely did their evil. [/B]

Well gee those verses do nothing to indicate that that could be the case. That is just human reasoning to get around the problem associated with God having anything to do with evil.

Upvote 0
Well gee those verses do nothing to indicate that that could be the case.

They also do not deny that that is the case. The possibility I gave seems to be the only one available, but there may be others. In any case, one must be careful with any text.

That is just human reasoning to get around the problem associated with God having anything to do with evil.

I know what "reasoning" is (logic). But "human reasoning" must be something else. What exactly? To me those words mean as much as "ajshdfalkj reasoning" does.

Upvote 0

mississippi

Sep 25, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Baptist
I am reading the bible from Genesis to Revelation and am now in I Kings. However, when I read Judges 9:23 I was taken aback because what you are told all your life is that God does not cause bad things to happen. Yet, if we think about it, God caused the flood that killed everyone except one chosen family. There must have been innocent infants and children killed in the flood as well.

From what I have read so far, I have concluded that God can do whatever he wants to do whether we like it or not or think it is right. I believe the thing to remember is that God is righteous and just no matter how much it hurts us as individuals sometimes.

What I have seen most of my life is that people as a rule do not care about their fellowman -- not truly. We go about our personal lives oblivious to the pain and suffering of others -- and sometimes when we do notice it, we turn away. At least God cares enough to do something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.