South Louisiana
✟21,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We need people (preachers, teachers) to stop teaching what they were taught and start teaching what the Bible actually says....

ie - some believe Mt Sinai is in northern Israel, yet the Bible tells us just to Moses getting the Commandments outside of the Sinai desert at Rephiudim (Exodus19)...

This is just one example.... Doesn't sound like a big deal but one little change here and there leads to Jesus died for all the world's sins and all people will be drawn to Him and enter Heaven

Enough teaching of what you want think you know and get back into the Word... The Word has Truth and Life not men's words

(Steps off soapbox)

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We need people (preachers, teachers) to stop teaching what they were taught and start teaching what the Bible actually says....
I agree with this, but there are far more important teachings that needs correction than where Mt. Sinai was.

I believe that preachers and teachers should teach how to truly surrender to Christ, rather than spread the doctrines of men. We are to follow Him and not our pastors.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We need people (preachers, teachers) to stop teaching what they were taught and start teaching what the Bible actually says...

I believe that preachers and teachers should teach how to truly surrender to Christ, rather than spread the doctrines of men.

While I agree with both of you, it seems to me that this is a two-sided issue. Where are we to find these preachers and teachers who don't teach "what they were taught?" Most regular congregations that I'm aware of want "qualified pastors" - that is, individuals who have gone through some systematised and formal training. Most congregations don't or feel they can't identify their own members who have the Spirit's gift of teaching, or gift of pastoring, and so place themselves in the hands of "professionals." This system is perpetuated by the declining amount of time given to prayer, bible study (sound teaching) and evangelism within many if not most churches (at least in the region I live in.) If members of congregations are not willing to give the time and effort needed to build up their own individual and collective spiritual life, they will not be in position to discern whether what their 'pastors' and 'teachers' say is sound doctrine.

The Bible schools, colleges, seminaries have become formalised organisations whose operations must be financed, and so are at the mercy of the doctrinal preferences of their financiers.

Do either of you, or any other reader have a solution?

• Agree
Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Where we tend to go to church there has been a strong swing from the broken man coming to Jesus to instead, Jesus came to serve us. And while that is not totally untrue, and there are scriptures to support such things, I don't feel it should become a main theme of a 1 hour sermon, never mind many sermons, at least not in that terminology. However, in so doing it is attracting a lot of young people of course ( not a bad thing to be attracting young families), the I My Me crowd loves to hear God came just for the purpose to serve them. This is troubling me a little bit ( part of the older generation) because it seems to be becoming week to week. There needs to be devotion time for homage to God, worship within the sermon itself not just in the music, that He is the eternal God above all things, that contrast of God serving ( washing of Peters feet etc) needs to be present, but that He is all mighty and all God. He loves us and as such can chastise us if we get out of line. There are consequences for our actions. I'm hearing too much that God serves us lately, in those words. God being for us who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior can take on many manifestations/forms. I'm hoping as Easter passes we take a new tact.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

ie - some believe Mt Sinai is in northern Israel, yet the Bible tells us just to Moses getting the Commandments outside of the Sinai desert at Rephiudim (Exodus19)...

This is just one example.... Doesn't sound like a big deal but one little change here and there leads to Jesus died for all the world's sins and all people will be drawn to Him and enter Heaven

Enough teaching of what you want think you know and get back into the Word... The Word has Truth and Life not men's words

(Steps off soapbox)
How about Leviticus 18:22?

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Where we tend to go to church there has been a strong swing from the broken man coming to Jesus to instead, Jesus came to serve us. And while that is not totally untrue, and there are scriptures to support such things, I don't feel it should become a main theme of a 1 hour sermon, never mind many sermons, at least not in that terminology. However, in so doing it is attracting a lot of young people of course ( not a bad thing to be attracting young families), the I My Me crowd loves to hear God came just for the purpose to serve them. This is troubling me a little bit ( part of the older generation) because it seems to be becoming week to week. There needs to be devotion time for homage to God, worship within the sermon itself not just in the music, that He is the eternal God above all things, that contrast of God serving ( washing of Peters feet etc) needs to be present, but that He is all mighty and all God. He loves us and as such can chastise us if we get out of line. There are consequences for our actions. I'm hearing too much that God serves us lately, in those words. God being for us who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior can take on many manifestations/forms. I'm hoping as Easter passes we take a new tact.
I have never heard of this before, but it sounds really bad, and I completely agree. He does serve us, but let's not forget that we are supposed to serve each other as He serves us. He left us an example to follow.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus Christ.
Yes, but what about Him Emli ? Jesus Christ is the prime subject but He can be illuminated many ways according to how one church/preacher/teacher/seminary wants to approach scripture vs another. We could be looking at a time soon if not already that every so called official church is actually Laodician. I'll just home school so to speak LOL !

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, but what about Him Emli ? Jesus Christ is the prime subject but He can be illuminated many ways according to how one church/preacher/teacher/seminary wants to approach scripture vs another. We could be looking at a time soon if not already that every so called official church is actually Laodician. I'll just home school so to speak LOL !
What I mean is that it is His Church. He is the head of the body, or rather He should be. We need His leading, His guidance, His Word, His Spirit. His TRUTH. There is only one true Jesus Christ, and He is God with us. It is Him we need. His power and His presence. We need to go back to living led by Him as the early Church did.

"He can be illuminated many ways according to how one church/preacher/teacher/seminary wants to approach scripture vs another"

This is the problem, isn't it? Human beings relying on human understanding and human choices. Should we not illuminate Jesus according to His will? Scripture isn't hard to understand if we just surrender to and listen to God's Spirit. We need to start listening to Jesus, and stop listening to man.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What I mean is that it is His Church. He is the head of the body, or rather He should be. We need His leading, His guidance, His Word, His Spirit. His TRUTH. There is only one true Jesus Christ, and He is God with us. It is Him we need. His power and His presence. We need to go back to living led by Him as the early Church did.

"He can be illuminated many ways according to how one church/preacher/teacher/seminary wants to approach scripture vs another"

This is the problem, isn't it? Human beings relying on human understanding and human choices. Should we not illuminate Jesus according to His will? Scripture isn't hard to understand if we just surrender to and listen to God's Spirit. We need to start listening to Jesus, and stop listening to man.
You're my kind of sister Emli, talking my language here ! And this church we attend does a lot of that, even bible college classes, it's just been too much droning on on this He came to serve us thing I guess. It's a very active church and the new young pastor there has grown it a lot.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You're my kind of sister Emli, talking my language here ! And this church we attend does a lot of that, even bible college classes, it's just been too much droning on on this He came to serve us thing I guess. It's a very active church and the new young pastor there has grown it a lot.
Back at ya, brother!
I don't know, but maybe the focus on Him serving us has a purpose to defeat the lies of God being a distant tyrant? Or at least that may have been the original intention. Jesus does serve us. But the enemy can take anything and twist it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

I think we need to pray before we read our Bible and ask God what it means. After all - he is the author :)
You'd be surprised how many people don't do that.

My understanding went up dramatically just by doing that simple task. It was a bit humbling as I'm a bit of an academic and like to work things out myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian_Follower

http://seekingbiblicaltruth.weebly.com
Mar 13, 2018
South Louisiana
✟21,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

I think we need to pray before we read our Bible and ask God what it means. After all - he is the author :)

My understanding went up dramatically just by doing that simple task. It was a bit humbling as I'm a bit of an academic and like to work things out myself.

Amen and Amen

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Exactly! Because God is our teacher.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with this, but there are far more important teachings that needs correction than where Mt. Sinai was.

I believe that preachers and teachers should teach how to truly surrender to Christ, rather than spread the doctrines of men. We are to follow Him and not our pastors.
Paul writes that it is in Arabia. Where would that be located?

Mat 21:21
So Jesus answered and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,' it will be done.

Galatian 4:25 For the Hagar mount Sinai is in Arabia is together-elemental yet to now Jerusalem slaving/serving tye with the offpsrings of Her

Hebrew 12:18 For not ye have come toward to being handled a mountain, and to having been kindled to fire and to murkiness and to darkness and to tempest.

Reve 8:8 And the second Messenger trumpets and as-like a mountain, great to fire burning, was cast into the Sea and became the third of the Sea blood [Matthew 21:21/Galatian 4:24, 25/Hebrew 12:18]

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Some churches require the preacher to move to another church after a few years to avoid this kind of following of the preacher himself. It is sad tho that our bond must be broken when we’ve come to love our preacher but I can understand the importantance of this idea.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Some churches require the preacher to move to another church after a few years to avoid this kind of following of the preacher himself. It is sad tho that our bond must be broken when we’ve come to love our preacher but I can understand the importantance of this idea.
I think that sounds like a good thing. Because that would create a need for every individual to learn how to rely on Christ and the Bible instead of on man.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0