Start United Religions to save the world.

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Keith Van Horn said:
There is only one way to go and that is Through Jesus. How can you get people from all over the world to agree, if they don't know the truth yet. People would be to busy trying to get others to agree with them than doing good for man. Unless you build your group around christians it will never work, unless God interviens.

Which is why there's a need for ecumenical councils in Christianity, right? Because they all agree on the truth. ;)

On topic, a UR would get really complex due to the huge number of religions that must be represented. There are only about 160-170 countries. There are that many denominations just in Christianity. Are you going to have a general "Pagan" group? I doubt traditionalist Wiccans will want to cooperate with Thelemites, Asatruar, or Kemetic Orthodox, and DEFINITELY not with Eclectics. What about Sunni, Shi'ite, and Sufi muslims? Hindus generally agree with each other, but Mahayana and Theravada Buddhists might have some disagreements. And what about the Shintos?

See what's going on with that? A UR quickly becomes huge and unmanageable, unless you have smaller subcommittees. But the greater the complexity, the greater the beauracracy, and the less likely anything is to get done.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The thrust of the idea of "United Religions" is a good one I think...

Baha'is have been sponsoring a special international celebration called World Religion Day and many communities in the USA, Britain, Sweden, Germany and other countries have local observances:

http://www.worldreligionday.org/

The concept of having improved dialogue among religions is something Baha'is have been advocating for some time. We normally work with Inter-faith groups locally and internationally..such as the World Parliament of Religions where the Baha'i Faith was first mentioned in the US around 1893 at the Chicago Worlds Fair.

I'm sure Bill Gates has heard of this but if he wants to support it...more power to him!

You can see what the current world Parliament is up to at

http://www.cpwr.org/

It was also attended by Swami Vivekananda who represented Hinduism.

- Art

Upvote 0

Keith Van Horn

Nov 17, 2004
San juan
✟427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The last thing Christians need is to be thrown into pagan beliefs. There is only one true religion and that is chrisitanity. Yes there are alot of different beliefs within Christiananity, but with Gods help those will come to an end. Then the christians, all being of one mind can go out to the rest of the world and destroy religion and traditions of man.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Keith wrote:

The last thing Christians need is to be thrown into pagan beliefs. There is only one true religion and that is chrisitanity. Yes there are alot of different beliefs within Christiananity, but with Gods help those will come to an end. Then the christians, all being of one mind can go out to the rest of the world and destroy religion and traditions of man.

My reply:

I'm wondering Keith... Don't you think the last time this happened when Christianity was the "only" religion was sometime during the middle ages when the Church had supreme power and other religions were suppressed or outlawed as in Spain, etc.?

How would you go about destroying these other religions?

- Art

Upvote 0

Park305

Dec 18, 2005
✟7,614.00
Faith
Other Religion
I think the more time you have experience with people, the more you learn how impossible and waste of effort it is to try and bring them together especially on things they believe almost blindly to.

Nevertheless, I think religion groups should discuss together. The late Pope John Paul II did some good work talking to the other religion groups. Christians could take that as an example and learn something.

It's not religions fault per say for all the conflicts and wars. I would strongly question any spirtual leader that advocates war or strongly advocate their faith is the one and only true one and that all others should be wiped out. Religions are created by mystics and then warped and shaped according to the mass populace. The simple fact that we're human beings means that one religion will never exist in my opinion and rightfully shouldn't.

I like to believe all the religious paths have the same principles and goals in mind at heart, too bad people get so easily stuck that the paths are different therefore they must be opposed.

Upvote 0

Keith Van Horn

Nov 17, 2004
San juan
✟427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Arthra said:
Keith wrote:

My reply:

I'm wondering Keith... Don't you think the last time this happened when Christianity was the "only" religion was sometime during the middle ages when the Church had supreme power and other religions were suppressed or outlawed as in Spain, etc.?

How would you go about destroying these other religions?

- Art

What other religions are true? When people see God working through Christians, these "other religions" will see the true God, and "their gods" will be put to the test and fail.

Upvote 0

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Keith Van Horn said:
What other religions are true? When people see God working through Christians, these "other religions" will see the true God, and "their gods" will be put to the test and fail.

What about the Jews? They worship the same God you do.

And is a Christian determined by their actions or their faith?

Upvote 0

Keith Van Horn

Nov 17, 2004
San juan
✟427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Park305 said:
The simple fact that we're human beings means that one religion will never exist in my opinion and rightfully shouldn't.

I like to believe all the religious paths have the same principles and goals in mind at heart, too bad people get so easily stuck that the paths are different therefore they must be opposed.

Then what is the point of some UR any way? I hate to burst your buble, but by no means do all reilgions lead to the same path. Just wait,until the world will see Gods power manifested through Christians, then they will see. Yes, we as people were created to be eternal, so it is our natural tendency to seek an answer. Seek the truth and you will find it. Don't take my word for it.

Upvote 0

Keith Van Horn

Nov 17, 2004
San juan
✟427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sidhe said:
What about the Jews? They worship the same God you do.

And is a Christian determined by their actions or their faith?

The Jews who have come to the truth that Jesus Christ is the only way to father, and that He is the messiah, God than yes they do worship the same God. Faith is action based upon a belief, Faith without works is dead.

Upvote 0

sidhe

Seemly Unseelie
Sep 27, 2004
Couldharbour
✟27,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Keith Van Horn said:
The Jews who have come to the truth that Jesus Christ is the only way to father, and that He is the messiah, God than yes they do worship the same God. Faith is action based upon a belief, Faith without works is dead.

And, not to imply that you are, but what if it turns out you're wrong?

Oh, and a Jew who accepts Jesus as the messiah is not, by Orthodox Jewish standards, a Jew in any way except possibly ethnically. And the rest of your post implies that Jews currently worship a different god. Does that mean that Jesus (who was, historically, a devout Jew), worshipped a different god?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Keith wrote:

Then the christians, all being of one mind can go out to the rest of the world and destroy religion and traditions of man.

My reply:

Keith this really sounds to me like you want to start some sort of wild Crusade... Hasn't that already been tried before? And consider the results of the previous attempts...

- Art

Upvote 0

Q2004

Jul 13, 2005
The Great Rainy City
✟676.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
magi5 said:
Hello.

United Religions, UR will be were all religions come together to solve conflicts.

Just like United Nations, UN.

Unite all people as one body.

If we can start a UR now we might have a chanse to survive.
We have only one chanse and this is it.
If we get UR up and running we will be here as long as the dinosaurus.
Get Bill Gates to build the UR building now.
Mail bomb the guy to build United Religions complex.
He can put his name on it.
No question asked.
Its an order from the people who want to survive.
Just start it up and get the religious leaders in there.

UN and UR is he and she of the noah's ark of today.
One pair of every kind of country and religion.
But for now UN and UR is separated.
Last step is U as UN and UR are United.

People just dont understand the Holy Scriptures.
And i am not even a religious person.

Regards Magi :groupray:

There are two many conflicting opinions and sects for this to work.
How would you feel sitting inbetween a Muslim and a Mormon?

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There are two many conflicting opinions and sects for this to work.
How would you feel sitting inbetween a Muslim and a Mormon?

My comment:

Well every time we have an Inter-faith Council meeting in my town the past year I have Mormons and Muslims sitting at the table with me and I rather like it! We've planned several events together...

Most recently, the Mormon representative wanted to hold a pancake breakfast to benefit the Islamic Center after it had been vandalized and every one on the Council supported the idea...

You should start an Inter-faith Council in your town... It might do a lot of good!

-Art

Upvote 0

Q2004

Jul 13, 2005
The Great Rainy City
✟676.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Keith Van Horn said:

Maybe if you would contribute to the idea of religious cooperation, instead of screaming "Get them other religions away!!! Only mine is true!" Cooperation among religions doesn't mean sharing of beliefs. Calm down!

Upvote 0

Q2004

Jul 13, 2005
The Great Rainy City
✟676.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Keith Van Horn said:

I see you screaming and moaning about destroying other religious institutions and making grand assumptions. This certainly seems like the work of the true god.:sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ImmortalTechnique said:
of course, some christians have been saying that this is the plan of the antichrist ever since the idea came up and they found some kind of scripture that they could twist to make it say that
Revelations calls this union the "Great harlot of Babylon". That is because acknowleging any god as yours is akin to whoredom in God's eyes---like a woman seeing any man as her husband.

Also, if all religions are fused into one, how will anyone know what the true religion is? They can't all be right.

"Well I believe that man made religion, so I don't think any are right."

Fine. But any true Christian knows that we are called to spread the Gospel and be his lights in a dark world. We are not to compromise and fuse with all religions as if they were all true.

I like pudding. :yum:

Upvote 0
B

BushwigBill

Q2004 said:
Maybe if you would contribute to the idea of religious cooperation, instead of screaming "Get them other religions away!!! Only mine is true!" Cooperation among religions doesn't mean sharing of beliefs. Calm down!

I see where you are coming from, and I think that cooperation is good, but at the same time, Christians do believe that other religions are false, and have a duty to spread the good news to those following false religions.

Can you really cooperate with someone when you believe that what they have based their lives upon is not true, and without trying to explain to them why this is so? I don't think so. That's another reason why I doubt this would work.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Keith Van Horn said:
There is only one true religion and that is chrisitanity. Yes there are alot of different beliefs within Christiananity, but with Gods help those will come to an end. Then the christians, all being of one mind can go out to the rest of the world and destroy religion and traditions of man.

And if there is no true religion, we can expect a multitude of religions to exist.

Hey... :sorry:

Upvote 0

DJ_Ghost

Trad Goth
Mar 27, 2004
Durham
Visit site
✟11,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Lignoba said:
Ok, then only the worst wars are started by religion, such as World War 2 and the Crusades.

Where on earth did you learn history? WW2 was not started by religion it was started by a combination of political ideology and Empire building.

As for the notion of “the worse wars,” what you mean like the genocidal wars of the Huns and the Mongals? Or WW1.

Ghost

Upvote 0