Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Yes, He said stay in Jerusalem until empowered from on high.

What point are you trying to get to?

If Christ had the authority to pass His authority to the Apostles, and He did pass His authority to the Apostles; then the Apostles had the authority to continue to pass that authority on to those who came after. It is a simple deductive logic.

The Authority of the Apostles was passed on to their descendants through the laying on of hands in the ordination of Deacons, Elders, and Bishops.

Upvote 0

weariedsoul

Oct 11, 2012
✟2,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If Christ had the authority to pass His authority to the Apostles, and He did pass His authority to the Apostles; then the Apostles had the authority to continue to pass that authority on to those who came after. It is a simple deductive logic.

The Authority of the Apostles was passed on to their descendants through the laying on of hands in the ordination of Deacons, Elders, and Bishops.

The EOC will be last in the kingdom because they want to be first. If that is, you actually represent EOC beliefs, maybe you misunderstand them and just havent fully represented them. I do consider that possibility.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The EOC will be last in the kingdom because they want to be first. If that is, you actually represent EOC beliefs, maybe you misunderstand them and just havent fully represented them. I do consider that possibility.

When and where did I say that? I specifically said the EOC is the closest to the first Church in terms of similarity, and holds to the standard of the eearly church according to doctrine.

Upvote 0

weariedsoul

Oct 11, 2012
✟2,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When and where did I say that? I specifically said the EOC is the closest to the first Church in terms of similarity, and holds to the standard of the eearly church according to doctrine.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up sculleywr. Peace my brother.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Of what authority are you speaking? What exactly was passed on?

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Standing Up said:
Only if you lived during the Sixties ;)
Boy, did I ever!:cool:

Although it is not the Sixties, I would love to have been able to see Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 1974 Brain Salad Surgery tour!

Back to the regular scheduled arguing.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Of what authority are you speaking? What exactly was passed on?

The authority to spread the teachings of Christ in the same way that Christ spread them, and to interpret them so that they would be clear.

Scripture alone is about as clear as mud. The light of Tradition is the tool used by the Holy Spirit. Tradition includes such things as the Didache, which is a book of quotes compiled of the Twelve by their disciples. If one includes this in their Tradition, not only is Abortion implicitly wrong, but it is explicitly wrong, as well. The second section includes the command "Do not commit abortion or infanticide".

There are other teachings in the didache, but that is why Traditionally the Church has never accepted abortion.

The other authority was to remit (but not forgive) sin. Christ, speaking to the leaders of the Church, said "whatsoever ye bind on earth, it shall be bound in heaven. whatsoever ye remit, it shall be remitted in heaven." Remitting sin is not the same as forgiving. My Spiritual Father, Stavros Rousos, said, "a Priest never forgives sin. What he does is help the confessing person wipe the guilt of the sin away, because the sin itself has already been forgiven by God." He went on to explain that the Priest, instead of forgiving your sins, gives you the tools and advice and encouragement necessary to defeat the sin in your life to make sure you do not fall to that sin again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom

No logic is involved in this - only Tradition .

If you believe something because it is Tradition , fine - stand on that . Passing it off as something else makes it appear that you are not basing your belief on Tradition and that something else is needed .

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
No logic is involved in this - only Tradition .

If you believe something because it is Tradition , fine - stand on that . Passing it off as something else makes it appear that you are not basing your belief on Tradition and that something else is needed .

I was showing how logic confirmed the Tradition. How the Tradition is itself a logical thing.

Upvote 0