• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Stage 4 Her2+++

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In Feb, 2003, I was getting up for work and happened to lean forward, and felt a very hard spot in my left breast. Now, being the good nurse I am, I ignored it, & got dressed. I did mention it to my husband, who is also a nurse, and I had self diagnosed a cyst. He is the one that was worried & said I should make an appointment. Well after a couple weeks, I decided he was right, and needed to have the cyst removed or drained. I went to the doc and she had a fit. She actually worried me, and sent me for a stat mammogram. She got the results back, and made an appointment with the surgeon. I went and picked up the mammogram slides, and looked at them before my appointment. It showed calcifications, indicitive of cancer. I went to his office, and he immediately did a biopsy. That was on a Thursday, and I had to make an appointment for the next Thursday. I received a call on Monday that it was negative, although I was skeptical at that point-the calcifications bothered me. I went to his office on Thursday, and they had given me the wrong results-it was positive. My husband, at that point was more upset than I...I already 'knew'. We made an appointment with the oncologist for the next Friday. At that point, it was simply to shrink the tumor so we could do surgery-as at this point there were no clear margins, so could not just get rid of it.

The next Friday, I met with the oncologist, and he went thru the treatment plan. Although I had no risk factors, we assumed it was hormone related, since most breast cancers are hormone related. He did order more tests on the biopsy-to check hormone status, and he wanted to make sure it was her2-. The next week, I had to have a port-a-cath placed, a pet scan, a ct scan, mugga (heart output) and blood work. This took up everyday that next week, and I had to return to him on Friday for my first chemo. Talk about a long week! My surgery for the cath was the worst, because I could not lie on my right side for 6 weeks.

Well, I went back on Friday, and found out the cancer had already spread. My lump was 9cm by 10cm, it was her2+++, http://her2support.org/her2.html will tell you that only 25-30% of women with breast cancer are her2+, and I was strongly +. It had spread, it was a very fasy growing cancer. Honestly, I don't remember much of what was said after that. I didn't cry @ that point, I became a robot, and after the doc speaking with me for an hour (Luckily my husband remembered) I had my first chemo. It took 3 hours. I had to go tell my daughter. She fell apart & so did I. (That started her on a downward spiral into rx drugs, hospital stays, & almost losing her children) I was not to be around outside people for the first 10 days of each tx. I was not suppose to kiss my grandchildren! I lost my hair within 2 weeks, and had to have a wig....

This lasted until the end of July, and although my scans were not clear, we opted to begin herceptin the first Friday in Aug. Herceptin is a target specific antibody...a miracle drug. I chose not to have surgery-I was already stage 4, so it made no sense. I had herceptin every 3 weeks from then on out.

In Jan, 2004, we found a lymph node acting silly, and though about radiation. I decided to just wait & see what was going to happen. 3 mos later, we decided the lymph node was growing, & there were more, so back on chemo I go. I was on chemo every week until August, and then we stopped. My scans were clear! Completely. I have been on herceptin every 3 weeks every since, and having scans every 3 mos. I have my next scans within the next 6 weeks.

Now, I am OK with whatever God has planned for me. I make sure I talk to the kids on a regular basis, my grandkids stay here with me as much as possible, and my husband & I spend time together.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
CatholicChristian10 said:
I just found out the scans were clear! :clap: This marks 12 mos of clear scans. I will remain on herceptin every 3 weeks, with dr visits every 6 weeks! Praise God, and thank you for your prayers!
Praise God! :clap: I will keep you in my prayers that you may continue to be free of disease.

God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 21, 2005
✟19,742.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God is with you! You will be in my prayers. Miracles are wonderful things! We are never the same again once we have experienced one.
wgmlogosm.gif

Jesus healed of trigeminal neuralgia.
Electrocution pains gone forever.
Kathy

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.