St. Paul knew Jesus never said there could be adultery without coitus.?

• Because adultery without coitus is a ridiculous idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because all his letters would have to be rewritten if this ('saying)' were true.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Douglas Hendrickson

Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
A note on I John 3:15
"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

Seems to be speaking of the one who wishes his brother dead, that seems to be the definition of hating here.
To already want (desire) the brother dead, is to be well on the way to killing him. The way of killing him, one might say.

Just like the one who desires to have adulterous sexual intercourse (adultery) - that person a la Mt. 5:28 is well on the way to being an adulterer, on the way of adultery.

edit: I wonder how the "I" of "I John" can be made to appear in blue like the rest of the reference, so not appear to be the gospel of John. Does anybody know? Would "1 John" work? Ah, it does, if you supply complete ref.. Without roman numerals.
1 John 3:15

edit: I should probably edit out my edit.
Edits! (edit: "edits") Ok, "Edits." (Talking to ist self.)
[Talking to ist self.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
A note on I John 3:15
"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

Seems to be speaking of the one who wishes his brother dead, that seems to be the definition of hating here.
To already want (desire) the brother dead, is to be well on the way to killing him. The way of killing him, one might say.

Just like the one who desires to have adulterous sexual intercourse (adultery) - that person a la Mt. 5:28 is well on the way to being an adulterer, on the way of adultery.

edit: I wonder how the "I" of "I John" can be made to appear in blue like the rest of the reference, so not appear to be the gospel of John. Does anybody know? Would "1 John" work? Ah, it does, if you supply complete ref.. Without roman numerals.
1 John 3:15

edit: I should probably edit out my edit.
Edits! (edit: "edits") Ok, "Edits." (Talking to ist self.)
[Talking to ist self.]
What evidence do you have to support this interpretation?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,443.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cultural and historical context matters. The "holy kiss" referred to in 1 Thessalonians 5:26 was a cultural greeting of the time, much like a handshake in the west expresses a greeting today.

And it still is in much of the world today, including that part of the world.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 16:16
Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.

1 Corinthians 16:20
All the brethren greet you. Greet one another with a holy kiss.

2 Corinthians 13:12
Greet one another with a holy kiss.

1 Thessalonians 5:26
Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss

"Holy Kiss" of Jesus' time was a brotherly peck on both cheeks.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
What evidence do you have to support this interpretation?
Evidence?
Are you asking for a sociological study or something?

It is an understanding of what the terms of the verse mean ...
Do you take issue with any particular part of that understanding?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
THEE touch:

Would not the touch of real kissing be more enticing than only seeing from a distance?

So how do we explain that St. Paul recommended kissing and did not say anything about not looking at anybody?

I.e., what does I Thess. 5:26 mean for Mt. 5:28 ?

1 Thessalonians 5: KJV
"26 "Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss."

This type of kissing has nothing to do with anything sexual.. It is common within middle eastern cultures for people to kiss each other on the cheeks when the meet as a form of greeting.. It is the same as a hand shake is in more western cultures.. So there is no conflict between what Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians 5 and what is contained in Matthew 5 ...

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the link.
So there is a part of the brain that appears to be operating the same way when some particular action is imagined as it does when the action is actually performed ...

This would seem to be showing that merely thinking an action is to be somewhat on the way of actual performance, that the body is "preparing" in some sense to actually perform the action, may be "on the way" of the action itself.

It certainly does not mean merely imagining the action is the action, is to have performed the action.
Clearly everyone knows the imagining itself does NOT include other parts of the body actually functioning in the manner merely imagined.
So in other words, there is no problem distinguishing between actually playing the piano pieces and merely thinking through the playing of the pieces.

It would suggest what one thinks is very important - it was not merely thinking of playing a piano but playing a particular piece - the fingers operating in a very definite manner.
So if one rehearsed in one's mind kissing and otherwise touching another, (even while actually performing those actions), that would NOT be "on the way" of an adulterous coital act UNLESS such an act were also part of the imagining.
In other words, in line with what Jesus said in Mt. 5:28, do not even think (of) actual adultery. And thinking other things is thinking other things.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
1 Thessalonians 5: KJV
"26 "Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss."

This type of kissing has nothing to do with anything sexual.. It is common within middle eastern cultures for people to kiss each other on the cheeks when the meet as a form of greeting.. It is the same as a hand shake is in more western cultures.. So there is no conflict between what Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians 5 and what is contained in Matthew 5 ...
Tell me, how do you figure out, "this type of kissing."?

What can you point to that says a holy kiss would be simply a run of the mill brush of the cheeks?
Are you saying, "Certainly St. Paul would not have requested anything beyond mere formalities that operated in his culture? (Actually what you seem to be saying is "because it is common now in middle eastern cultures ..." )
That makes it holy?

Another way St. Paul phrases it is, "a kiss of love."
In your experience is a kiss of love NOTHING SEXUAL ?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Tell me, how do you figure out, "this type of kissing."?

What can you point to that says a holy kiss would be simply a run of the mill brush of the cheeks?
Are you saying, "Certainly St. Paul would not have requested anything beyond mere formalities that operated in his culture? (Actually what you seem to be saying is "because it is common now in middle eastern cultures ..." )
That makes it holy?

Another way St. Paul phrases it is, "a kiss of love."
In your experience is a kiss of love NOTHING SEXUAL ?

I have given my reply.. And i see no need to elaborate upon it anymore.. If you are not satisfied with my answer then so be it..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums