Philadelphia, USA
✟24,242.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is that all you care about? Images?

Ironically, yes

To understand the image is to understand Orthodoxy. I recommend "The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" by Vladimir Lossky and "Theology of the Icon" by Leonid Ouspensky

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world" is the prayer prayed repeatedly during the chaplet of Divine Mercy. There is in nature a huge difference between that prayer and the Jesus Prayer "Lord Jesus Christ, Have Mercy on me a Siner." I will stick with the Jesus Prayer.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
we take all visions with a grain of salt because the devil can use visions that seem good to throw people off track, so we are especially wary of miracles that happen outside of the Church. I think the best answer is that it isn't our business. it's sorta like if some Pentecostal busts into tongues. could it be the devil trying to keep people off track? yes. Could it be God Who loves every last Pentecostal and yearns for their salvation as much as the Orthodox? absolutely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Don't know much about it but from what I read on Wiki, we cannot accept them. For starters, it claims she saw Christ in Purgatory which the Orthodox do not accept. The truth is, I don't really know if the visions seen by Catholics are from God or from Satan but I really don't care. It isn't my place to know where they are from so I think it is better to not make as much out of them because we don't really know. Demons can appear before us in the form of Saints and they will usually do so to decieve and make someone believe that they are holy. I read of a monk once who believed that he was a saint and then one night a demon appeared to him in the form of an angel and said that he was going to be taken up to heaven. In the end the monk jumped out of a window and fell to the ground below since he thought that he was going to be caught and taken to heaven by what he thought was an angel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatory

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maria Faustina Kowalska, commonly known as Saint Faustina, born Helena Kowalska (August 25, 1905, Głogowiec, Poland then in the Russian Empire – Died October 5, 1938, Kraków, Poland) was a Polish nun, visionary, and mystic, now venerated in the Roman Catholic Church as a saint.

Helena Kowalska was the third of ten children born to a poor family. At the age of fifteen, having attended just three years of school, she started work to support her family. Around this time she was considering a vocation in the Catholic church and felt and believed that God was calling her to be a nun.

Helena left for Warsaw, and applied to various convents in the capital, only to be turned down each time. She was finally accepted at the convent of the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy. She was eventually initiated as a nun on April 30, 1926, with the name Sister Maria Faustina of the Blessed Sacrament.

Sister Faustina reported having seen Christ in Purgatory, having seen and spoken to Jesus and Mary several times. She wrote that Jesus revealed to her, her purpose: to spread the devotion of the Mercy of God. In Płock on February 22, 1931, she said that Jesus appeared as the 'King of Divine Mercy', wearing a white garment. His right hand was raised in a sign of blessing and the other was touching the garment at the breast. From beneath the garment emanated two large rays, one red, the other white. Acting upon orders she said she received from Christ, Faustina had a picture of this vision painted. With the help of Father Michał Sopoćko, she distributed the images at Kraków and Vilnius (Wilno), and people began to pray before them.

Faustina kept a diary, despite her limited literacy. The diary was later published under the title Divine Mercy in My Soul: The Diary of St. Faustina.

She wanted to found a "Congregation which would have proclaimed the Mercy of God to the world, and, by its prayers, obtain it for the world." She was repeatedly denied leave by her superiors.

In 1935, she had a vision which described what is now called the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

In 1936, Faustina became ill, since speculated to be tuberculosis. She was moved to the sanatorium in Pradnik.

She continued to spend much time in prayer, reciting the chaplet and praying for the conversion of sinners. The last two years of her life were spent praying and keeping her diary. By June 1938, she could no longer write. She died on October 5. When Faustina's superior was cleaning out her room she opened the drawer and found the paintings of the Divine Mercy.

After the death of St. Faustina, the nuns at her convent sent her writings to the Vatican. Prior to 1966, any reported visions of Jesus and Mary required approval from the Holy See before they could be released to the public.

After a failed attempt to persuade Pope Pius XII to sign a condemnation, Cardinal Alfredo Ottaviani at the Holy Office included her works on a list he submitted to the newly elected Pope John XXIII in 1959. The Pope signed the decree that placed her work on the Index of Forbidden Books and they remained on the Index for over 20 years. Father Sopoćko was harshly reprimanded, and all his work was suppressed. However, Eugeniusz Baziak, the archbishop of Kraków, permitted the nuns to leave the original picture hanging in their chapel so that those who wished to continue to pray before it could do so.

The current position of the Vatican is that misunderstandings were created by a faulty Italian translation of Kowalska's Diary in that the questionable material could not be correlated with the original Polish version because of difficulties in communication throughout World War II and the subsequent Communist era.

However, an article in the National Catholic Reporter suggests that the ban stemmed from more serious theological issues. For instance, her claim that Jesus had promised a complete remission of sin for certain devotional acts that only the sacraments can offer, and what Vatican evaluators felt to be an excessive focus on Faustina herself ran contrary to the views at the Holy Office.

When Karol Wojtyła (the future Pope John Paul II) became Archbishop of Kraków, a new investigation into the life and diary of St. Faustina was launched, and the devotion to the Divine Mercy was once again permitted. Cardinal Franciszek Macharski, John Paul II's successor as archbishop of Krakow, said that Faustina "reminds us of the gospel we had forgotten."

Faustina was beatified on April 18, 1993 and canonized on April 30, 2000. Divine Mercy Sunday is celebrated the Second Sunday of Easter (which is the first Sunday after Easter).

“Indeed the message [St. Faustina] brought is the appropriate and incisive answer that God wanted to offer to the questions and expectations of human beings in our time, marked by terrible tragedies.”

—Pope John Paul II - Divine Mercy Sunday Homily, Sunday, 22 April 2001

The fact that her Vatican biography directly quotes some of her conversations with Jesus distinguishes her among the many reported visions of Jesus and Mary.

A biographical movie titled "Faustina" was released in March 1995. A Polish-made full-length video presentation of "The Life and Times of Sister Faustina" was shown on EWTN in 2008.

StFaustina_wp.jpg

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't say I know much about her but I do really like the Catholic saint Francis of Assisi. I was just reading about his travels to convert the Sultan Malik-al-Kamil in Jim Forrests "The Ladder of the Beatitudes". The story of brother wolf is pretty cool too.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sister Faustina has succeeded in bringing the Trisagion Hymn back into the Catholic Church. However, that hymn is not included in the Mass where it should be.

The Trisagion Hymn: Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. (3 times)

The Trisagion Hymn was originally in the original Mass of Pope St. Gregory. It was also in his PreSanctified Vespers Service that the Orthodox Christians use during Great Lent. The Catholics today do not even have a remnant of this beautiful Lenten Service on Good Friday, but if one compares the Good Friday Service prior to Vatican II to that used now, one will notice that the Trisagion Hymn is in that earlier service but not in the recent Catholic Good Friday Service, which has been really gutted, and is not recognizable.

All these liturgical changes in Catholicism have really been a shame.

If one were to compare the Tridentine Latin Mass (which is a modified Gregorian Mass), one would see some similarity with the Eastern Divine Liturgy, but as the centuries have passed, especially the 8th century, many Byzantine hymns and most of the Kyrie Eleison(s) were removed.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,907.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do Orthodox think of the revelations given to St. Faustina?

I know of at least two Orthodox bishops who believe it (even though it's Catholic).
You still haven't answered Michael's question.

Which bishops?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You still haven't answered Michael's question.

Which bishops?

Thank you for reminding me. Kam - will you answer my question. Which bishops think that Faustina's message and supposed apparition are legitimate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0