Oct 18, 2004
Elsewhere
✟10,038.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
I think you misunderstand--I'm the only Christian in my family. Also, my sister and I don't get along. I hoped that giving her an icon would help smooth things and perhaps spur her and her boyfriend to go to church once in awhile.
I am not so sure that giving her an icon would be, under these circumstances, a wise thing.

She is not Christian. You two don't get along.

Why on earth would she want an icon then? This is a symbol of your faith, as well as a gift from someone she does not respect.

Personally, I only give icons to people who A) want them, or B) are interested in Orthodoxy, or C) like me enough not to throw them out. (And I never give them to people who would see them as idols, although that is not applicable here.)

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
GregChant1545 said:
Anyone staying up (or getting up) to watch the pope's funeral?

My catholic wife wants me to tape it.:doh:

Betcha they'll replay it tomorrow... aka I'm not staying up... I only got 5 hrs of sleep last night and no nap today...

Back when I was in like 2nd grade we always watched TV on Friday's for 'school TV'... but one year the Soviet President Brezhnev had died and they showed his funeral (he was laying in state too) and us kids had never seen a dead person anywhere - I was in second grade in 82 - and we had like two channels on TV). I remember wondering if I was going to die for like months after that... I would make sure I had a pulse before I fell asleep... It would be considered a massively traumatic experience nowadays and no one would have to watch it.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Vasya Davidovich said:
I am not so sure that giving her an icon would be, under these circumstances, a wise thing.

She is not Christian. You two don't get along.

Why on earth would she want an icon then? This is a symbol of your faith, as well as a gift from someone she does not respect.

Personally, I only give icons to people who A) want them, or B) are interested in Orthodoxy, or C) like me enough not to throw them out. (And I never give them to people who would see them as idols, although that is not applicable here.)

I've thought about those things, but decided the benefits outweigh the risks. She might not leave it out, but she wouldn't hock it or anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
gzt said:
But kids really should have some exposure to death. Our modern insulation from it is simply unreal...

Most definitely, but not without explanation... We had to watch the funeral because the regular programming was not on... no one really knew anything else than the name of the dude and that he was dead...

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
GregChant1545 said:
2 hours max I think....

They alloted ~3 hours for it on the channels... I wonder if most of that is going to be "news program" stuff. Well, I have five hours of tape, and I guess we'll see what we'll see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.