Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Aria said:
Sounds like the Yale competition for engineering students.
It's diversified though. I am doing that + food chemistry. There are a combination of building events, science tests, and lab practical approaches that a team of fifteen kids have to tackle.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Aria said:
What could be more boring to give? The poor graduate students who have to listen to me. The teacher said to try to make it lively.

I suggest finding a way to incorporate a distribution of free candy. Works for me.

There was a prof at my university who did a distance-education class on wastewater management. On Halloween he came dressed as "Martha Sewer"--wearing a bright green dress, high heels, eye shadow, and press-on nails. I would have given my eyeteeth for a tape of that... :D

And maybe in the process, we can help Matrona and Greg with their college work.

As difficult as this is, I have to be grateful, because the version we have of Beowulf is simplified. In high school, we had to read it in the original Old English. :eek: Either this college course is dumbed down, or my high school class was ridiculously complicated... I'm leaning towards the latter.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
er what? they did realize that it takes quite a while to learn enough Old English to be able to make it through even with a dictionary, didn't they? I mean, "se faeder lufode thone sunu" - with the appropriate letters replaced where they need to be - is not comprehensible to moderners.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Matrona said:
I suggest finding a way to incorporate a distribution of free candy. Works for me.

Well, I had been thinking along those lines.
The Prof said that we could bring audio-visual aids.
So being that February 7, 2006, is my birthday, I am going to bring a birthday cake.

This is A cake.
Indeed, this is .. SOME cake.
However, this is not just AN ordinary cake, it is A special cake.
And since it is my birthday, it is THE cake of the year.

So, please take SOME birthday cake and enjoy.

There was a prof at my university who did a distance-education class on wastewater management. On Halloween he came dressed as "Martha Sewer"--wearing a bright green dress, high heels, eye shadow, and press-on nails. I would have given my eyeteeth for a tape of that... :D

Oh that must have been a sight for poor eyes. :D

As difficult as this is, I have to be grateful, because the version we have of Beowulf is simplified. In high school, we had to read it in the original Old English. :eek: Either this college course is dumbed down, or my high school class was ridiculously complicated... I'm leaning towards the latter.

Please, do humor us and let's keep posting to make Greg happy.

Please post the passages that seem difficult.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
gzt said:
er what? they did realize that it takes quite a while to learn enough Old English to be able to make it through even with a dictionary, didn't they? I mean, "se faeder lufode thone sunu" - with the appropriate letters replaced where they need to be - is not comprehensible to moderners.

I had the same experience in high school.

Some students really understood Old English, but I struggled (and having dyslexia didn't help one bit). It all looked greek to me. :D

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Aria said:
I had the same experience in high school.

Some students really understood Old English, but I struggled (and having dyslexia didn't help one bit). It all looked greek to me. :D
Kserw i elliniki glossa. ;) (Or something like that. Where'd Greg go? :p )

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
gzt said:

I think so, but I can't be sure, it was four years ago. I think it would have been easier, and more suited to our talents, to have us each battle Grendel ourselves. :D And Middle English seemed downright easy by comparison. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Melethiel said:
Kserw i elliniki glossa. ;) (Or something like that. Where'd Greg go? :p )
tin ellinikin (not sure if it's spelled with a iota or an eta) I can read it, I can speak 2 dialects of it, but when it comes to writing it, that's a whole different story.

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Greg the byzantine said:
tin ellinikin (not sure if it's spelled with a iota or an eta) I can read it, I can speak 2 dialects of it, but when it comes to writing it, that's a whole different story.
I can read really basic stuff, and write similarly. (The boy has a cat...:p) I should just stick to Ukrainian. ;)

And it's spelled with an eta.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Greg the byzantine said:
Ahh memories of my 1st grade reader, with simple things that emphasize pronunciation. And first is getting down all the vowels and vowel combinations that are pronounced the same.
Silly Greeks, with your multiple i's...:p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.