Visit site
✟7,926.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I posted this on another forum, but so far no one has replied. Thought I may get a quicker response here.

So basically, my husband and I, we agree on almost everything and make compromises for each other on things we dont fully agree on together. However, lately its been bothering me, this one issue thats very hard to find middle ground on. We are both totally different in our diet and fitness requirements. My hubby has a normal metabolism (normal meaning he can gain weight) and I have a freakishly weird one that has very poor energy management. Everything i eat...gets burned off so fast that i need extra fat and calories to stay feeling ok. So i try to make foods with a lot of bulk and substance that keep me full for awhile. The thing is I feel bad because my husband wants to lose weight but i always make these fattening dishes that taste sooo good.^_^ (he loves them too, by the way, and dosent really like eating low carb food ALL the time). I just feel kind of unsure on what to do. My husband does not get any exercise hardly, by the way. He has a desk job where he is sitting 8 hrs each day, then another hour driving there and back. By the time he gets home, he has no motivation to exercise because he is so tired after a long day. Is there any advice you guys can give us? we are newlyweds and still trying to figure stuff out.:p

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My first thought is to tell you to rule out thyroid concerns if you burn food that quickly. You may have hyperthyroidism.

If you are simply one of those ridiculous people that can eat whatever they want and stay thin :)unbelievable:), then make bulk foods that are good for you and filling/energy inducing...like veggies, fruits, high fiber foods, etc.

As far as your hubby's exercise level is concerned...can he use his lunch time to go to the gym or walk?

Upvote 0

waxlion10

Just shut up and be delicious- Dwight
Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Faith's post. It's possible to make filling, healthy foods. Getting good proteins will help you stay full, too. Do you snack throughout the day? I know that dried fruit, nuts, hummus, avocado, etc. make great, healthy snacks. Maybe if you eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day, you won't feel like you need to eat a huge "fatty" meal for dinner :p

Also, is there any way your husband would be willing to go for walks/jogs in the evenings or do a short fitness DVD? That might help him burn some calories and wouldn't be an intense time commitment.

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Both of you getting into good habits now will save you tons of heartache later. Get tested for thyroid issues and hypoglycemia (sorta opposite of diabetes). Then if all is normal, eat the healthy foods, and you can always eat larger portions if you need too and he can eat lesser portions. You can both exercise together in the early am or 3 or more hours before bedtime would be good too. Exercise does not have to be what is commercially marketed now. You need nothing special to properly exercise and stretch out. I just started a regular exercise/stretching program myself and I am using the horseshoes from a horseshoe throwing game as my weights for upper body :D.

After a couple weeks of exercising, the motivation to exercise slowly increases. Until you begin to feel the benefits, you just have to muster through and keep at it regardless of the lack of motivation. Sorry no help for that one, it is one of those you just do or you don't. Typically, the only time someones motivation to exercise goes up prior to exercising is when a doctor tells you really bad news, your life style is limited by your lack of activity, or your weight becomes a real issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

waxlion10

Just shut up and be delicious- Dwight
Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD when I don't have time to go to the gym. It's only 20 minutes long (20 intense minutes), and you just need light dumbbells (3-5 pounds for a woman, probably). And most of the exercises, you could probably do without dumbbells and still get a workout :) Mayzoo is right; you can exercise in your house with little to no equipment.

Upvote 0

Lena75

Aug 11, 2004
✟21,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The eyes don't necessarily bulge with a hyperthyroid. My daughter's does, but not everyone gets that. The metabolism would concern me and it would be wise to get a blood test done just to check your thyroid. Especially if you're not able to gain weight although you're eating more than usual.

And if you DO have a hyperthyroid, they don't recommend intense exercise. Stick with yoga, pilates, meditation and basic walking. And overall keep eating healthy! Just stay away from salt and alot of sugar.

Your husband should get some form of cardio, at least, during his breaks at work. Sitting for so long isn't healthy for any part of the body. You can get Bob's dvds (Biggest Loser Bob) from walmart and workout at home with weights if the gym isn't an option.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also do an 8 hour work day, but with a 1.5 - 2 hour commute (one way) each day.
And My wife also loves to cook all that yummy food (AKA why I need to loose weight)

So now I set the alarm about an hour earlear, and Hit the gym for about an hour in the morning. I'm trying to drop my weight, and am down about 35lbs from the start of the year.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right; I know that :) But if you eat more often throughout the day (and bigger portions/more calories), then you're less likely to pig out at "big" meals (like supper). Thanks for the clarification, though.

You don't eat bigger portions though

Normal diet = app 2000 cals. over 3 meals + snacks
breakfast = 400,
lunch = 400,
dinner = 1000
snacks = 200

splitting it up over 5 meals
Breakfast = 300
Brunch / Drive to work = 300
Lunch = 400
Drive Home = 300
Dinner = 500
Snacks = 200

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,780.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...so I wouldn't get more calories if I ate two apples with peanut butter for a "snack" instead of one?
Anyways.../derailing of thread.

A apple (Generic - Apple, Red Delicious) has about 65 Cals.
If you wan't 2 you cut 65 Cals (+ cals for peanut butter) from the 3 meal split)
If you look over the example break down I gave, they both add up to 2,000 calories a day.

Upvote 0

c1ners

Senior Contributor
Dec 12, 2005
US
✟30,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If eyes bulge its hyperthyroid

My eyes never bulged. Regardless if it's a thryoid problem or not, you have to start eating healthy. If it is your thyroid, those high fatty foods you're eating are not going to help.

Eating healthy will give you both more energy. You, of course, will have to eat a little more extra to keep the weight from falling off, but your body will love you for it.

Pinto beans are a great source of protein. Which your body needs. And they are nice and filling. If you have a thyroid disorder you'll need to stay away from breads and leafy green veggies. What I would suggest is that you try it out. Eat some greens or bread and see how your body reacts to it. If you feel sluggish and your pulse starts racing, more than likely you have a thyroid disorder.

Upvote 0

CCinoklahoma87

Geek4God
Feb 18, 2009
stigler, Oklahoma
Visit site
✟7,926.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow thanks for all the responses, guys. I do need to see if I have an overactive thyroid but everyone on my mom's side is unusually thin, and they dont have anything wrong with them, just a hereditary thin gene.

My husband says he wants to start going to the gym soon, and when it gets warmer start jogging and biking. I love to bike too, so its something we can do together as well. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums