Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yeah but you must admit the magical alternate realities and miraculous events can be false while the existence of Rome can be real.
The likelihood of at least some miraculous events happening is still pretty overwhelming if you ask me, etc.

They would have to be pretty big lies otherwise, etc, especially with Jesus, etc, which I just cannot bring myself to believe in my mind, etc.

On the scales of balance, I would have to at least say that some of those supernatural events did indeed happen at least, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
No it mainly was not, which is why they wrote it down, etc.

They assumed it was history to them back then, etc, and very little of it was changed or "amplified to raise religious intrigue", and no "mystery" was added to it either beyond it just being their own history to them, etc.

God Bless.
Yes, it was passed by oral tradition. That's why there were several different beliefs about Christ through out the middle-east back in the day. It's why there are places of different accounts of Jesus in the Bible. Also those first lovers of Jesus in Rome did not have anything written down. They were not Jewish, so they didn't even have the Old Testament. Everything for them was through Oral tradition. And when the text was finally pinned, very few copies were circulated. So oral tradition had to continue for sometime afterwards.

The point that I'm wanting to make is that I do not believe that "lie" argument is valid. There was a host of other things going on in those early Christian days. No one was intentionally lying.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, it was passed by oral tradition. That's why there were several different beliefs about Christ through out the middle-east back in the day. It's why there are places of different accounts of Jesus in the Bible. Also those first lovers of Jesus in Rome did not have anything written down. They were not Jewish, so they didn't even have the Old Testament. Everything for them was through Oral tradition. And when the text was finally pinned, very few copies were circulated. So oral tradition had to continue for sometime afterwards.

The point that I'm wanting to make is that I do not believe that "lie" argument is valid. There was a host of other things going on in those early Christian days. No one was intentionally lying.
Well, I hate to disagree with you, but the early Christians were Jews, and it was common for almost all the Jewish synagogues to have at least a few copies/scrolls from books/scrolls of the OT, etc, because they were written on scrolls back then, etc, anyway, it was common for a lot of Jewish synagogues to have at least a few copies of some of the books of the OT that they both read and studied from on their holy day in both the Old and New Testaments times, etc. They were very big on writing and having things written down even way back then, etc, and scribes could be punished very much severely, and lose their position if they even miscopied or mistranslated even just one letter of one word, etc, so I think you need to do some more research and get some more facts there, as it sounds like you're getting your information strictly from social media or something like that, etc. And as far as the NT goes, and the books/scrolls written there, they kept the same tradition with them, etc, and copies that we have can be traced back to very nearly their time, etc, give or take about 40 to 60 years from the time of the Apostles or so, etc, and have changed very, very little since then, etc, so I think you are getting some very, very wrong information there, etc. Like I said, sounds like the kind of Biblical history denials I see going on in social media and things like that, etc, which are not based on any kind of facts at all, etc, but are just what people want to hear or say in order to dismiss history, or deny the Bible, etc.

Word of mouth did happen, and had to happen, etc, but if what people were saying wasn't the gospel, or didn't line up with what they had written down historically with the scrolls that were kept in churches or synagogues of both the old and new testaments at the time, etc, then those people usually didn't last long, etc, as the early churches tried to have at least some copies/scrolls from some of the books/Paul's letters, etc, from both the old and new testaments most usually historically, etc. And the places where the religious leaders learned or trained had a lot of them if not all of them, etc.

You need to get more correct information, and not trust sites like Facebook, and others first, etc.

Look into the earliest copies of both the old and new testaments online only using Google, etc. The dead sea scrolls might be good for you to look up as well or also, etc. Punishments for the scribes among Christian and Jewish traditions might be something else for you to look up also, etc. Anything having to do with the age of the written word among Christain and Jewish tradition/beliefs also, etc, and their strict rules regarding it over the ages, etc, but use Google, and not anything else, ok.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Well, I hate to disagree with you, but the early Christians were Jews, and it was common for almost all the Jewish synagogues to have at least a few copies/scrolls from books/scrolls of the OT, etc, because they were written on scrolls back then, etc, anyway, it was common for a lot of Jewish synagogues to have at least a few copies of some of the books of the OT that they both read and studied from on their holy day in both the Old and New Testaments times, etc. They were very big on writing and having things written down even way back then, etc, and scribes could be punished very much severely, and lose their position if they even miscopied or mistranslated even just one letter of one word, etc, so I think you need to do some more research and get some more facts there, as it sounds like you're getting your information strictly from social media or something like that, etc. And as far as the NT goes, and the books/scrolls written there, they kept the same tradition with them, etc, and copies that we have can be traced back to very nearly their time, etc, give or take about 40 to 60 years from the time of the Apostles or so, etc, and have changed very, very little since then, etc, so I think you are getting some very, very wrong information there, etc. Like I said, sounds like the kind of Biblical history denials I see going on in social media and things like that, etc, which are not based on any kind of facts at all, etc, but are just what people want to hear or say in order to dismiss history, or deny the Bible, etc.

Word of mouth did happen, and had to happen, etc, but if what people were saying wasn't the gospel, or didn't line up with what they had written down historically with the scrolls that were kept in churches or synagogues of both the old and new testaments at the time, etc, then those people usually didn't last long, etc, as the early churches tried to have at least some copies/scrolls from some of the books/Paul's letters, etc, from both the old and new testaments most usually historically, etc. And the places where the religious leaders learned or trained had a lot of them if not all of them, etc.

You need to get more correct information, and not trust sites like Facebook, and others first, etc.

Look into the earliest copies of both the old and new testaments online only using Google, etc. The dead sea scrolls might be good for you to look up as well or also, etc. Punishments for the scribes among Christian and Jewish traditions might be something else for you to look up also, etc. Anything having to do with the age of the written word among Christain and Jewish tradition/beliefs also, etc, and their strict rules regarding it over the ages, etc, but use Google, and not anything else, ok.

God Bless.
In Rome, Paul converted the Gentiles, not Jews. It was the attitude of Love, Compassion and Service to those in need of those early followers of Jesus that brought so many Roman Pagan's to the ranks. Just and FYI: I've been researching this stuff for over 5 decades now. No New Testament text existed until several decades after the death of Jesus. The only way the story of Jesus could have been passed on is by oral stores. It took several more decades after that before the rest of the books were pinned. Than, as I know that you know, it took another 4 centuries before the books were compiled together. But even today, different Christian sects have different books in their Bible.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
In Rome, Paul converted the Gentiles, not Jews. It was the attitude of Love, Compassion and Service to those in need of those early followers of Jesus that brought so many Roman Pagan's to the ranks. Just and FYI: I've been researching this stuff for over 5 decades now. No New Testament text existed until several decades after the death of Jesus. The only way the story of Jesus could have been passed on is by oral stores. It took several more decades after that before the rest of the books were pinned. Than, as I know that you know, it took another 4 centuries before the books were compiled together. But even today, different Christian sects have different books in their Bible.
Several decades seems like a really long time, but it's only tens of years you know, etc, which means most of the original apostles were still alive when they were penned, etc, and before that many still did have some scrolls from the OT, which they taught from as the OT now revealed also, etc.

Either way, it's not worth arguing about. Having most of the original Apostles still alive when the NT was penned is good enough for me. And those are only the earliest ones we know about, etc, because it is also generally believed that many of Paul's letters were penned and given to the seven churches during the time that he was alive and was preaching them and very first penned them, etc, and that's good enough for me. And the gospels came shortly after that and were also given to the churches shortly after that also, etc, which were most usually copied after that whenever new churches were started elsewhere also, etc. And that's good enough for me to think that it was not all lies, or that all them were lying about what took place, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting picture Bob. Seen it before. But remember I said to keep staring into the Sun never giving one's sight a break from it for a moment. That's what I meant by KEEP staring.
Reliable witnesses who were there reported that it did not hurt their eyes to look directly at the sun. While the "sun danced" the people present could look at the sun without discomfort.

They were protected miraculously.

In O Seculo, another secular paper, Avelino de Almeida adopted a very different tone from a previous satirical article on Fatima, going into even more detail:

“…one could see the immense multitude turn towards the sun, which appeared free from clouds and at its zenith. It looked like a plaque of dull silver and it was possible to look at it without the least discomfort. It might have been an eclipse which was taking place. But at that moment a great shout went up and one could hear the spectators nearest at hand shouting: “A miracle! A miracle!” Before the astonished eyes of the crowd, whose aspect was Biblical as they stood bareheaded, eagerly searching the sky, the sun trembled, made sudden incredible movements outside all cosmic laws—the sun “danced” according to the typical expression of the people. … People then began to ask each other what they had seen. The great majority admitted to having seen the trembling and dancing of the sun; others affirmed that they saw the face of the Blessed Virgin; others, again, swore that the sun whirled on itself like a giant Catherine wheel and that it lowered itself to the earth as if to burn it with its rays. Some said they saw it change colours successively. …”

Another important witness was a young lawyer, Dr. José Almeida Garrett, who wrote to the priest who had interviewed the children, Dr. Formigão, describing what he had seen:

“It must have been nearly two o’clock by the legal time and about midday by the sun. The sun, a few moments before, had broken through the thick layers of clouds which hid it and shone clearly and intensely. I … saw it as a disc with a clean-cut rim, luminous and shining, but which did not hurt the eyes.”

The only people present who had an exchange with Mary were three semi-literate children, but the thousands of other witnesses knew that something supernatural was going on.

As Christ said in Matthew 11.25 -

... Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.

The "wise and learned" were too busy with the slaughter on the Western Front in October 1917. The Battle of Passchendale had just begun, and God wasn't going to waste His time sending the Mother of God (the Son) to a bunch of egotists in charge of mass slaughter.

So He sent her to three semi-literate Portuguese children living in poverty, two of whom were dead in less than three years from the Spanish Flu, but He knew the message would get out anyway.

During the second apparition, on the 13th of June Mary told them that Francisco and Jacinta would be taken to Heaven soon but that Lucia would live a long life. She also asked Lucia to learn to read and write.

As Mary had predicted, Jacinta and Francisco died during the Spanish flu epidemic. Francisco died in April 1919 and Jacinta, in February 1920. They were both beatified by Pope John Paul II on May 13 of the year 2000.
For the record my mother had a four year old brother who died in that epidemic. She was sick as well, but survived even though she was only two years old at the time.

Meanwhile the "wise" go on ignoring the miracles of Fatima and the message.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Reliable witnesses who were there reported that it did not hurt their eyes to look directly at the sun. While the "sun danced" the people present could look at the sun without discomfort.
Well it's not possibile for as they say the sun to dance. The sun isn't just a mere ball overhanging 1 group of people. If the actual sphere of the Sun jumped all over the place the impact of that would be clearly seen not just where Fatima took place but everywhere. It would not be just heard about everywhere BUT SEEN. Nothing like that happened.

I'll give you this though. Atmosphere conditions over one small area could create illusions. A lot of dampness in the air, sunlight going through it, clouds and with the right type of winds can give an optical illusion of things perhaps even that things are moving. (like the sun dancing) But nothing of the type is actually really taking place however. Below is a sundog effect created by atmospheric conditions over one small area.

1700506791847.png

They were protected miraculously.
If you insist. I would have liked to have been there that day. I suspect if I was I'd still probably be leaving there not believing anything out of the ordinary really took place.

Upvote 0