Spiritual Laughter

christianrider

Dec 22, 2004
✟164.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My husband wanted me to find out about spiritual laughter.

When we have our daily prayer time, and I am praying in my spirit language, my husband will start laughing and "kind of" speaks in tongues. I feel that he is experience a fruit of the Holy Spirit: joy.

It makes him uncomfortable when at church during prayer time, he's afraid someone might be offended by it, thinking he's making fun of what's going on.

Has anyone experienced this? It seems right now that everytime the Spirit moves, my husband starts laughing uncontrollably.

Thanks for your input!

theywhosowintears

Jan 9, 2005
Outback, Australia
✟983.00
Faith
Pentecostal
christianrider said:
My husband wanted me to find out about spiritual laughter.

When we have our daily prayer time, and I am praying in my spirit language, my husband will start laughing and "kind of" speaks in tongues. I feel that he is experience a fruit of the Holy Spirit: joy.

It makes him uncomfortable when at church during prayer time, he's afraid someone might be offended by it, thinking he's making fun of what's going on.

Has anyone experienced this? It seems right now that everytime the Spirit moves, my husband starts laughing uncontrollably.

Thanks for your input!

Don't worry about it!
God touches us all in different ways some cry quietly, some cry loud, some yell some fall down some stand up some kneel some laugh some run around like looney bins... So long as it is God touching them its all good.

Peace

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I think of people laughing uncontrollably I always think of my giggling nieces. There’s no power on earth that can make them stop.

I also know laughter is naturally contagious. It is a psychological, not always or necessarily a spiritual phenomenon.

Anyhow, for those who are interested, here’s an interesting article on a study of laughter from Psychology Today: http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20001101-000036.html

\o/

Upvote 0

Emma!

Veteran
Nov 3, 2003
✟9,482.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
christianrider said:

It seems right now that everytime the Spirit moves, my husband starts laughing uncontrollably.

Does he feel uncomfortable at home with you when it happens?

What do you mean by 'kind of' speaks in tongues? Does he have a prayer language?

Does he like when it happens or not?

How does he describe he feels when it happens?

Are you comfortable and know its from God?

I just want to ask these questions before i say anything else.....

Upvote 0

Rosieace

Aug 8, 2004
MS Gulf Coast
✟478.00
Faith
Non-Denom
:D hi christianrider,
I want to post this , but it doesnt necessarily involve your personal question. ok? I woke up on New Years Day, everything was hilarious, ,so funny,everything i saw or thought or anything was so incredibly funny. And i could see the hilarity in anything for days. I felt this was a sort of message from God that everything that happened to me this year was going to be ok,nothing would be so bad i couldnt laugh at it.
Another question: i have always heard since i started going to WOF type church that if God was to give you a gift, like speaking in tongues,that you would be able to be in control of that gift; start or stop it at any time. So would this also be so for the gift of holy laughter. ?
And they also taught that if you couldnt control any gift, that this gift was not of God. ? I dont know the answer to this. Because i have been slain in the spirit many times, and given other gifts of the Holy Spirit, but when He touches you, you have no control over the power of God .
Anybody know? Thank you, Rosieace :groupray:

Upvote 0

brother daniel

Dec 3, 2004
Bethel, New york
Visit site
✟17,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Rosieace said:
:D hi christianrider,
So would this also be so for the gift of holy laughter. ?
:preach:
John 14:16-26
The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of Truth and is given to remind us of what Jesus said and did.
Jesus was a man of Sorrow and acquanted with grief. The Scriptures never mention him laughing.
Luke 6:21 Blessed are ye that hunger now : for ye shall be filled. Blessed that weep now for ye shall laugh.
Luke 6:25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now for ye shall morn and weep,
James 4:9
Be afflicted and morn and weep: Let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

Rosieace said:
And they also taught that if you couldnt control any gift, that this gift was not of God. ? I dont know the answer to this. Because i have been slain in the spirit many times, and given other gifts of the Holy Spirit, but when He touches you, you have no control over the power of God .

What you call being "slain in the Spirit" can not be found in scripture and does not glorify Jesus or OUR FATHER. :(

Rosieace said:
Anybody know? Thank you, Rosieace :groupray:

Sister you need to feed on the word of God so you have oil in your lamp.
With love in Christ Jesus, brother daniel :pray:

Upvote 0

Emma!

Veteran
Nov 3, 2003
✟9,482.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
brother daniel said:
:preach:
Jesus was a man of Sorrow and acquanted with grief. The Scriptures never mention him laughing.

What you call being "slain in the Spirit" can not be found in scripture and does not glorify Jesus or OUR FATHER. :(

God is the one who gave us the ability to laugh in the first place, and i dont believe for a second that Jesus didnt laugh here on earth...even if it doesnt mention it, that does not mean it did not happen. When He floods us with joy and we laugh (provided that it matches up with the fruits of the Spirit) it is a blessing of Him.

Also you cant limit the Holy Spirit to only acting how He has in the past in the Bible...He is WAY to big for that, and not everything about Him is in the Bible.....however everything needs to be weighed up against the fruits of the Holy Spirit, to see if they are from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NewSong

♪♫♫♪♫
Nov 8, 2004
✟47,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LONG I know but I couldn't help myself where this topic is concerned....

I wanted to comment and also share some of my life in case it may help....
I remember one day in my living room back in the early 80's sitting there in the middle of the floor praying ...I had a lot to cry about back then....but...I hung on to God so tight that I couldn't help myself... I heard God in my spiritual hears..kind of like impressing me to make myself laugh and I thought it was ridiculous..so I sat there and practiced laughing.. I know this sounds crazy but I did..My baby was in bed and it was just me and God but I had a hard time doing it coz I felt so stupid doing it but I was sure God was telling me to do it and so I kept practicing a laugh and finally I asked God why and he told me HIS JOY is my strength and then I studied the word rejoice and whole lot on the word joy..rejoice..meaning to jump up and spin around...and hilariously doing it..and so I put myself into rejoicing and and finally I went through that period of time of study and was in college and wrote term papers on laughter and joy and the Lord....little did I know that it would be so prophetic and what laughter and joy done to the insides of a person.. and the healing that it brings..I now had scientific facts that I had laid out as well as the spiritual facts throughout the word of God and His healing with joy, rejoicing, and in psalms the mirth...etc...

Anyway trying to shorten this up...I hated my life...I wanted to die....I can't describe how much I hated my life or why but I did and I was very agoraphobic etc...and I forced myself out of the house and drove almost 100 miles away to a camp meeting and sat in the back of a church where no one would notice me trying so hard to get rid of the agoraphobia. I was listening to the speaker and I thought..boy.. this is the best word I have heard in a long time and he asked us to stand to our feet and he said raise your hands and don't pray this prayer unless you mean it... Holy Spirit, I need you, I want you, I will not stop you, I will not hinder you........and then I had the biggest urge to laugh...well being brought up so properly... I brought my hands down and stuffed them in my pocket and walked out the door because I thought I was going to laugh. I cried all the way home because I knew I had grieved the Holy Spirit but I wasn't sure how....I drove back up that night to the same camp meeting to hear the same speaker to see what it was that going on..the whole church was in laughter...I was in shock.....I couldn't have laughed if I wanted to...I was so angry at the people laughing when I wanted to hear the word of GOD.....I didn't realize that God released me from the agoraphobia...I went to drive home that night after I left the service..and after I left the service.... I laughed like no one laughs...And I laughed all the way home and then I would cry and then I would laugh...and I done it for days... I finally started testifying in front of 3000 people one night..Me an agoraphobic...A lunatic...testifying....all because of God touching me and giving me His joy which is my strength and yes the joy was strong enough it came out in laughter...

Oh Lord restore unto us the joy of Your salvation....

I pray for the joy of the Lord to be our strenght.

God Bless. and thanks for sharing about your husband. I think it is pretty cool.

Upvote 0

Rosieace

Aug 8, 2004
MS Gulf Coast
✟478.00
Faith
Non-Denom
:cool: Hi brother daniel,
thank you for your scriptures and your concern and your warning. Could you tell me what this chapter in Galatians means . What is the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and what is the yoke of bondage to not be entangles again with?Then there is chapter 14, about the law is fulfilled, and what is the law?Then there is chapter 15,what does being consumed by one another mean? Verse 18, " But if you are led by the Spirit,you are not under the law." verse 22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy,peace,longsuffering,kindness,goodness,faithfulness,gentleness,self-control. Against such there is no law." verse 26 "Let us not become conceited,provoking one another,envying one another."

Thank you for the blue letter bible site, i appreciate it.
I dont know where this scripture is, "No weapon formed against me shall prosper, and every tongue that rises up in judgement against me i shall condemn, and there is therefore no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus that walk not according to the flesh, but according to the spirit of life which is in Christ Jesus."
The joy of the Lord is my strength. So that means that without the joy of God we have nothing. We are mincemeat for the devil.
God bless you brother daniel , i liked your story.
"The Spirit brings life, but the letter of the law brings death." I dont remember where this scripture is .
Bye Rosieace :bow: :crosseo: :clap:

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My concern, as a pastor, is that every person be allowed to worship God in a public assembly without unnecessary distraction. Distractions - whether it be laughing, screaming, jumping, spinning, screaming, outbursts, etc. – while they may ‘edify’ the person doing them are very often a distraction to many in a congregation who may have legitimate needs that cannot be met in such an unnecessary disturbing (circus) atmosphere. I base my beliefs on several cautions clearly outlined in a single chapter by the Apostle concerning our behavior in public gatherings:
1 Corinthians 14:4-5

He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

1 Corinthians 14:17

You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.

1 Corinthians 14.26

What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.

1 Corinthians 14.40

But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.
While it is important to me that individuals – i.e., those who are given to outburst of any kind that may draw attention away from the object of our worship, Jesus Christ and to themselves - be blessed, I cannot allow such outbursts to interfere with another person's equal right to be allowed to connect with the Lord so that their needs, also, might be met.

There seems to be a belief in this forum that spiritual ‘freedom’ means license for displays of emotional excess that might be tolerated at a football game or rock concert but should never be allowed in meetings where the goal is that the church (everyone) be edified. Some have even allowed, "So what if it makes a mess; the Lord is able to clean up behind us." Leaving a mess for someone else to clean up is a show of immaturity in children who may expect Mom to pick up behind them so long as they be allowed to do their thing. Maturity often means knowing what behavior is right and what is wrong. Not making a mess. It is the church (and pastors) place to provide necessary boundaries that foster a clear (undistracted) channel through which every person can connect with God.

When I stand before God to give an account of my stewardship of ministry I do not want to hear that people who had desperate needs from Him left an assembly without having those needs met simply because I allowed a few individuals the license to engage in distracting attention-demanding bursts of emotion or exhibition.

I see my job as a moderator of these things, and since moderation, not excess, is the mark of a Christian’s life and behavior, I do sort of value the job.

\o/

Upvote 0

brother daniel

Dec 3, 2004
Bethel, New york
Visit site
✟17,572.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Rosieace said:
:cool: Hi brother daniel,
thank you for your scriptures and your concern and your warning. Could you tell me what this chapter in Galatians means .

:)
Hi dear sister, I thank you for the grace you showed in your response.
Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach
deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Remember this thread is about "Holy Laughter."

I assume that your contention is 'Holy laughter is part of your liberty in Christ and I agree it is. But it is your personal liberty and not a gift supported by
the word of God.

Concerning "Liberty" as it is delt with in Galations, The Galation congreation was being affected by those who were attempting with some success to
bring them back under the the customs and traditions of Jewish legelism.

Today many are standing against the Holy Spirit inspired scriptures to preach a carnel liberty of behaviour for the sake of crowd building. And these
same stand against the teachings of Jesus in the gospels for the conduct of his disciples. And when reminded by the Holy Spirit of what Jesus has
commanded of us they cry, "LEGALISM."

Romans 8:21
Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

What is this glorious liberty for?, It it makes us free to serve God as Jesus has instructed us and be effective FISHERS OF MEN.

1 Corinthians 8:9
But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

There might be things you and I have the liberty to do, taste or touch, but when we are with weaker brethren who do not have that liberty, for their sake we forsake our personal liberty lest we offend them.

James 1:25
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed
in his deed.

What is being a doer of the work? It is keeping and teaching the commandments of Jesus Christ, He has set us free so we can do what he says.

2 Peter 2:19
While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

Here is a problem that showed it face in the early Methodist revials and the modern Pentecostal movement as it sprung from the 1906 Azuza Street
outpouring.
Many persons claimed they were exercising their liberty and gifts from the Holy Spirit but were in fact preventing GODS word from being taught and
heard. The fruit of that contention was imorality rather than Holiness.

Rosieace said:
What is the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and what is the yoke of bondage to not be entangles again with?
Then there is chapter 14, about the law is fulfilled, and what is the law?

The Law is "Love one another", not as the world loveth, but as Christ has loved us. That is by his example and teaching

Rosieace said:
Then there is chapter 15,what does being consumed by one another mean?

Consumed by one another means "destroyed"
Galations,5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest,which are, "adultery, fornacation,uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred,veriance, emulations,wrath,strife,seditions, heresies,
21Envyings, murders, drunkness,revellings and such like:of which I tell you before, as in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the
kingdom of God.

Rosieace said:
Verse 18, " But if you are led by the Spirit,you are not under the law." verse 22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love,
joy,peace,longsuffering,kindness,goodness,faithfulness,gentleness,self-control. Against such there is no law." verse 26 "Let us not become
conceited,provoking one another,envying one another."

2 Corinthians 3:17
Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
Galatians 5:1
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
James 2:12
So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty."

Thank you for the blue letter bible site, i appreciate it.
I dont know where this scripture is, "No weapon formed against me shall prosper, and every tongue that rises up in judgement against me i shall
condemn, and there is therefore no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus that walk not according to the flesh, but according to the spirit of life
which is in Christ Jesus."
The joy of the Lord is my strength. So that means that without the joy of God we have nothing. We are mincemeat for the devil.
God bless you brother daniel , i liked your story.
"The Spirit brings life, but the letter of the law brings death." I dont remember where this scripture is .
Bye Rosieace
:amen:
With all that being said, So called "Holy laughter" is not supported by scriptures nor is "being "slain in the Spirit".
The Spirit is subject to the prophet. We can control ourselves through Christ in us. We are called to be sober even when we are filled with Joy. :clap:
With love in Christ Jesus, brother daniel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NewSong

♪♫♫♪♫
Nov 8, 2004
✟47,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jim M said:
My concern, as a pastor, is that every person be allowed to worship God in a public assembly without unnecessary distraction. Distractions - whether it be laughing, screaming, jumping, spinning, screaming, outbursts, etc. – while they may ‘edify’ the person doing them are very often a distraction to many in a congregation who may have legitimate needs that cannot be met in such an unnecessary disturbing (circus) atmosphere. I base my beliefs on several cautions clearly outlined in a single chapter by the Apostle concerning our behavior in public gatherings:

He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

1 Corinthians 14.26

What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.

1 Corinthians 14.40

While it is important to me that individuals – i.e., those who are given to outburst of any kind that may draw attention away from the object of our worship, Jesus Christ and to themselves - be blessed, I cannot allow such outbursts to interfere with another person's equal right to be allowed to connect with the Lord so that their needs, also, might be met.

There seems to be a belief in this forum that spiritual ‘freedom’ means license for displays of emotional excess that might be tolerated at a football game or rock concert but should never be allowed in meetings where the goal is that the church (everyone) be edified. Some have even allowed, "So what if it makes a mess; the Lord is able to clean up behind us." Leaving a mess for someone else to clean up is a show of immaturity in children who may expect Mom to pick up behind them so long as they be allowed to do their thing. Maturity often means knowing what behavior is right and what is wrong. Not making a mess. It is the church (and pastors) place to provide necessary boundaries that foster a clear (undistracted) channel through which every person can connect with God.

When I stand before God to give an account of my stewardship of ministry I do not want to hear that people who had desperate needs from Him left an assembly without having those needs met simply because I allowed a few individuals the license to engage in distracting attention-demanding bursts of emotion or exhibition.

I see my job as a moderator of these things, and since moderation, not excess, is the mark of a Christian’s life and behavior, I do sort of value the job.

\o/

I agree with your statement here. I think that your absolutely right. When I said jump up and spin around ...I do not do that in church. I do not engage in any activity which would draw attention to myself. That is why I really love to have time alone with me and God here because what I do is between me and HIM and solely between me and HIM. I too, have the same problem and am glad for moderators who do something about those who distract and exhibit behaviors that would be rude, and self serving. I would not ever to do this and haven't. I think that is why that I am very uncomfortable with some of the things I see and here but I love the freedom I have with God at home but I too, find things to be offensive and distracting and demanding attention and so therefore you will not see me in a meeting exhibiting anything less than modesty and respect...but I do believe people can have the experience with God none the less and that God won't demand it out of me to offend others with it.

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you made this statement because I don't think I made it clear that I find it grievious and rude to others when someone gets in their fleshman.

Thanks for your post.

NewSong

Upvote 0

xsynerinc

the Great Creator became my Savior
Jul 29, 2004
Indiana
✟334.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jim M said:

1 Corinthians 14.26

1 Corinthians 14.40

\o/

appologies

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
xsynerinc said:
i'm sorry if this bothers you.. but then theres some things in what youve said that bothers me some what..
i can see by how you label it.. "attention demanding outbursts" that you havent allowed for the possiblity of it being something better. far better.

like spontaneous response while you give your message.. doesnt that mean that God is doing His job of confirming the word given?
and why then should you care about a little interuption of God ministering to this person here or there in your congregation?

isnt that what your really hungry for.. to see evidence that God is real? and for other people to see evidence that God is real?

so, when it happens, take a moment to praise God for it.. invite the congregation to praise God for the work in your midst.
then continue on with your message.
people seeing spontaneous demonstrations is a good thing.

and i dont think that theres any harm in such things as that.
otherwise you'll be thinking that your message that you speak is more important than God being at work in your midst., and the peoples response to His ministry.

you speak of people having desperate needs being met. but you dont consider that the need is met .. and you only know about it by a spontaneous response that they give out.
and you think that its those wrong kinds of attention getting outbursts - so you think you are doing your duty to clamp down on it.

so just because you are so worried about it.. you have quenched the move of the Holy Spirit of God.
unless of course you could figure on giving God allowances to work in your midst when you deem it appropriate.. but then who is in charge of the service?

if you dont allow God to move - when you dont think its appropriate - then you'll have no moves at all.
and who then can truly meet those desparate needs of the people?

you.. and your message that gets no results?
Apparently you haven’t been in some meetings I have been to.

Anyhow, why is “allowing God to move” always associated with pandemonium? Has it occurred to you that by allowing some (I repeat, SOME) things to occur in our gatherings we actually hinder God from moving? Is that a possibility? Isn’t it also a possibility that in thinking you are not quenching the Spirit by giving license to all sorts of erratic behavior you are, in fact, quenching the Spirit?

That is my point.

\o/

Upvote 0

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 19:37-40 And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen; Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest. And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.​

Let's see...

the whole multitude was praising and Jesus didn't stop them...

but the Pharisees told Jesus, "Rebuke your disciples." Why? They were disruptive and noisy maybe? Too loud? The Pharisees couldn't hear themselves praising God?

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Easy guys and gals. Remember, rable-rousing is my calling!...;) :D

There are a couple of things here that should be pointed out. First, we have NOT been filled with the spirit of lemon juice. One's holiness is not the outward display of the sour-puss, but rather the overflowing joy of this astounding free gift of salvation and Love of God.

Secondly, if your teacher/preacher/pastor is doing his thing in front of the congregation I would desperately hope that he is doing it in the power and leading of the Holy Spirit. And if that is the case, then why in the world would the Holy Spirit interrupt Himself with some out of order outburst? He wouldn't, so I would have to say the outburst in that situation had to be of the flesh or worse.

Fortunately in my own church home, our pastor is very sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit and as a consequence is is very common for him to leave time at the end of his preaching for whatever the Lord desires to do. I think that's good practice. :)

Asaph

Upvote 0