Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello to my fellow ministers! I hope that all is well. I just wanted to discuss something and get some stories/views from other ministry staff. As a minister, I find that perhaps we are people that undergo some of the greatest spiritual attacks. For the past year or so, I find that my thought life has been under attack (i.e., many thoughts are coming into my head that are causing negative feelings). For instance, I am always worried that I offended someone, or said something to hurt someone, even though there is no evidence to support this at all. I was just wondering if any other ministers have gone through the same thing, and if you could share your experiences (and what you did to overcome). Thank-you in advance to everyone who shares something. God bless you all!

Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello to my fellow ministers! I hope that all is well. I just wanted to discuss something and get some stories/views from other ministry staff. As a minister, I find that perhaps we are people that undergo some of the greatest spiritual attacks. For the past year or so, I find that my thought life has been under attack (i.e., many thoughts are coming into my head that are causing negative feelings). For instance, I am always worried that I offended someone, or said something to hurt someone, even though there is no evidence to support this at all. I was just wondering if any other ministers have gone through the same thing, and if you could share your experiences (and what you did to overcome). Thank-you in advance to everyone who shares something. God bless you all!
We use unceasing prayer as a weapon against evil thoughts being planted by the spirits of the air. The prayer that is practically always used in spiritual warfare is the Jesus Prayer. This prayer, however, is best used from within the framework of Orthodoxy.

Sounds like you're trying to rely too much on your own personal abilities as a minister, and not keeping your mind inside of your heart and repenting there in the full awareness of God's presence within you. This is a temptation we all face. It's absolutely necessary not to succumb to it, because all evil deeds are the offspring of evil thoughts which are attended to by those who have them and follow where such thoughts lead.

Reactions: Tsquared
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I recall when I'd do a lot of things for the church, the intensity would magnify, and it would get worse if I'd teach against the thoughts because apparently they were another person's. I still have a full time ministry, just adjusted to my particular gifts and personality.

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We use unceasing prayer as a weapon against evil thoughts being planted by the spirits of the air. The prayer that is practically always used in spiritual warfare is the Jesus Prayer. This prayer, however, is best used from within the framework of Orthodoxy.

Sounds like you're trying to rely too much on your own personal abilities as a minister, and not keeping your mind inside of your heart and repenting there in the full awareness of God's presence within you. This is a temptation we all face. It's absolutely necessary not to succumb to it, because all evil deeds are the offspring of evil thoughts which are attended to by those who have them and follow where such thoughts lead.

Thank you for your reply truefiction1! You have given me a lot to reflect about. I like what you said about keeping your mind inside of your heart and repenting there. Could you elaborate more on this for me? I do agree, I need to stop relying on my own abilities. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I recall when I'd do a lot of things for the church, the intensity would magnify, and it would get worse if I'd teach against the thoughts because apparently they were another person's. I still have a full time ministry, just adjusted to my particular gifts and personality.
Thank-you for replying Michael Collum. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who has went through something like this. Did you have a particular method to deal with these thoughts/trials when they would magnify?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thank-you for replying Michael Collum. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who has went through something like this. Did you have a particular method to deal with these thoughts/trials when they would magnify?
Identify the core sin attaching to the "memory" or "thought" and confess it. There seems to be a degree of magnetism occurring, at least in my case.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your reply truefiction1! You have given me a lot to reflect about. I like what you said about keeping your mind inside of your heart and repenting there. Could you elaborate more on this for me? I do agree, I need to stop relying on my own abilities. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!
Your welcome Tsquared.
What I have introduced here is the most difficult thing to do that there is. Not a single one of us can succeed were it not for the Divine power (grace) of God coming to our aid.

This thing that I've alluded to, this keeping of your mind inside of your heart and repenting there in the full awareness of God's all seeing and all knowing presence, is a Living martyrdom. For you see, in our fallen condition, we are addicted to living in a world of darkness created by our thoughts, many of which are not thoughts arising out of us at all, but rather, these are various suggestions and images implanted by the spirits of the air. We attend to the thoughts due to our own sinful desires (most of which are hidden from us in this darkness). This is the character of our life, which is not life at all, but a lack thereof.

But when we refuse to pay attention to, and to follow such thoughts that lead us away from being with God in prayer, and attend only to the words of the Jesus Prayer themselves and to Him Who is hearing them, we are denying our very selves, and denying this false form of so-called life in this world, and finding Life in Christ our Lord, His Father (our Father), and the Holy Spirit. This is the Narrow Way that our Lord speaks of that leads to Life. This is what the Apostle Paul alludes to when he tells us that he has crucified himself and it is Jesus Christ Who Lives and works through him.

It is perilous to enter into this Way, because the demons will not stop waging the war of deception and trickery to ambush those who want to do God's will. The devils can even lead us to spiritual destruction by appearing as angels of light sent as messengers from God. That is why prayer and contrite repentance must be done without ceasing, as the Apostle Paul directs us in his Epistles. This is so hard, especially at first, because it goes against our fallen nature and habit. But if we persevere striving to become One with God, the Holy Spirit teaches us and arms us for this battle.

Fasting, it must be mentioned, is the necessary foundation for a Life of prayer such as this. That is what our Lord teaches us when He says "This kind (of demon) can only go out by prayer and fasting". Hopefully, you aren't unfamiliar with the value of fasting in the spiritual Life in Christ.

Upvote 0

Boogaloo

Aug 10, 2017
Boston
✟18,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ps 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
Ps 91:2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Ps 91:3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
Ps 91:4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
Ps 91:5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
Ps 91:6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
Ps 91:7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Ps 91:8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Ps 91:9 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
Ps 91:10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
Ps 91:11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
Ps 91:12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Ps 91:13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
Ps 91:14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
Ps 91:15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
Ps 91:16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

Upvote 0