Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The term "spirit" is used to refer to the animating principle of a human, but there's no reason to think it's a separate thing living inside the body. Similarly, the soul is a person viewed as a whole, living thing, as shown by the quotations from ProphecyKid. But viewing these as separate "parts" of a person is a misreading of the language. It's confusing the Bible with Greek religion, in which the soul is trapped in the body, and at death flits up to the heavens. But that's connected with a negative view of the body and human life, which is not a Christian view.

As some noted above, Paul uses "spirit" to denote life in Christ, and "flesh" the remnants of our old life. But he certainly didn't intend those to be taken as referring to actual parts of the person, as if our body were the source of sin. That's probably where the term "spirit man" would have come from. But "spirit man" isn't standard Christian terminology, nor is it directly Biblical. If used Biblically, "spirit man" would refer to our lives in Christ, not a separate part of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The term "spirit" is used to refer to the animating principle of a human, but there's no reason to think it's a separate thing living inside the body. Similarly, the soul is a person viewed as a whole, living thing, as shown by the quotations from ProphecyKid. But viewing these as separate "parts" of a person is a misreading of the language. It's confusing the Bible with Greek religion, in which the soul is trapped in the body, and at death flits up to the heavens. But that's connected with a negative view of the body and human life, which is not a Christian view.

As some noted above, Paul uses "spirit" to denote life in Christ, and "flesh" the remnants of our old life. But he certainly didn't intend those to be taken as referring to actual parts of the person, as if our body were the source of sin. That's probably where the term "spirit man" would have come from. But "spirit man" isn't standard Christian terminology, nor is it directly Biblical. If used Biblically, "spirit man" would refer to our lives in Christ, not a separate part of us.

2 Pet 2:16 dumb ass speaking with man's voice. Nuff said

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I've heard people/preachers etc. say that each person has a “Spirit Man” inside there body/flesh. And I think that also the bible says this.

Is this true ?

Sounds like the kind of stuff I used to hear when I was in the WoF movement

Can't say I recall any Bible believing preachers use that phrase

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums