Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the Greek Bible, you are composed of spirit, soul and body. (I Thess. 5:23 is the reference) If you delve into it more deeply, you ARE a spirit, you LIVE IN a body, and you HAVE a soul. Your spirit man is a contemporary term for your spirit a(meaning the real you) and what it is telling your (physical) body. The exact term is not in the bible.

[Spirit is because you are in the image and likeness of God, and will live forever. Soul is so that you can think and feel while in your ministry on the earth, body is your interface with the earth.]

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't see your spirit with your eyes, you see it with your heart. Try it, it's not hard once you know what you are looking for.

Think about it like spirit of peace or love or joy or anger coming over you, or think about what difference the Holy Spirit in you makes. That will get you in touch with the concept.

But that's the English word, not the Greek or Hebrew (which are pretty close, but I have the feeling those people were more used to looking and did not need the hints). But then again, "Spirit man" is not in the Bible; it is an invention of preachers, like I said, so it's English and modern.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's look at Scripture.
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.(Gen 2:7)

What we see here is that out of the ground God shaped man's body, God then breathed spirit into man...from the interrelation of body and spirit we are a living soul. The soul is made up of that relationship between body and spirit.
That is why often it is difficult to tell if a malady like depression cause is biological or spiritual. Our mental faculty is a combination of body (brain and it's connecting parts) and spirit ...hence soul.

When Adam died 'spiritually' his spirit was cut off from God's spirit and thus his soul (interrelation of spirit and body) lacked the life and relationship of God.

Being born again, our spirit is renewed by the Life of God through the blood of Jesus and water of His Word.
Our body continues to decay until that glorious day of resurrection. Hence our struggle, yet sure victory.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God then breathed spirit into man...from the interrelation of body and spirit we are a living soul. The soul is made up of that relationship between body and spirit.
I did not use the Hebrew, because in Hebrew spirit is "Ruach", but the spirit God breathed into man is "Neshama". The difference is not irreconcilable, but it makes the explanation a good deal more complicated. That is why I worked from the Greek, which is closer to English language explanation.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not use the Hebrew, because in Hebrew spirit is "Ruach", but the spirit God breathed into man is "Neshama". The difference is not irreconcilable, but it makes the explanation a good deal more complicated. That is why I worked from the Greek, which is closer to English language explanation.
Seeing this is a 'new believerss' section, thanks for keeping it plain.
Here are a two passages of interest..

Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Ecc 12:7 then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your spirit man, is spoken in that way, because your focus should be on the spiritual things, and not the carnal things.
Spoken in what way? Who are you quoting/referring to?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi,

I've heard people/preachers etc. say that each person has a “Spirit Man” inside there body/flesh. And I think that also the bible says this.

Is this true ?

I am replacing my posts indiscriminately,

Preachers say "spirit man" because focus should be put on your spirit.
These preachers desire to avoid earthly thinking, and that is why this is used.

The bible puts emphasis against carnal ways, and carnal thinking.

Upvote 0

Question ?

Oct 3, 2016
Miami beach,Fla
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In the Greek Bible, you are composed of spirit, soul and body. (I Thess. 5:23 is the reference) If you delve into it more deeply, you ARE a spirit, you LIVE IN a body, and you HAVE a soul. Your spirit man is a contemporary term for your spirit a(meaning the real you) and what it is telling your (physical) body. The exact term is not in the bible.

[Spirit is because you are in the image and likeness of God, and will live forever. Soul is so that you can think and feel while in your ministry on the earth, body is your interface with the earth.]

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am replacing my posts indiscriminately,

Preachers say "spirit man" because focus should be put on your spirit.
These preachers desire to avoid earthly thinking, and that is why this is used.

The bible puts emphasis against carnal ways, and carnal thinking.

When Paul uses words such as spirit and spiritual our translators have rather missed it. Paul sees two types of 'Spirit' people i.e . those indwelt with the Holy Spirit and those who are not 'flesh people, (not people with two internal natures - flesh and spirit. engaged in an internal civil war.) The omitted capitalisation has put many on the wrong track.

We can get too analytical at times too. Scripture doe snot see three distinct 'parts' but most often uses terms such as soul and spirit interchangeably, as virtually synonymous of the whole person. Such usage was a common Hebrew idiom.

A good example is the word 'mind'. In the OT Hebrew words for imagination, heart, soul or breath, mouth, or spirit are used for what we consider to be the mind.

The Hebrew word for 'soul' is also translated as breath, and the word for spirit as breath and wind.

Translation of 'heart' uses these words: breath, bowels!, centre or middle.

The notion of an internal civil war can become very harmful for some Christians. We need some clear teaching to correct a long standing misunderstanding.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I have been taught over time I understand the spirit of man is more the intellectual side of man with reasoning, devising, understanding, creative thinking, etc.; and the soul speaks of the capacity of emotions, desire, will, feelings, etc. Both of these will be in Heaven (for saints of God), and there we will have new bodies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ken's explanation is great. I'd add that sometimes it is beneficial to think of a person as a spirit, soul, and body (our spirit is born again, our body is wasting away, our soul is being sanctified) and sometimes a person should be thought of as a non-fragmented whole. The same goes for how we think about God. Sometimes 3 produces correct deductions, and sometimes 1 produces correct deductions.

Reactions: Ken Behrens
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I've heard people/preachers etc. say that each person has a “Spirit Man” inside there body/flesh. And I think that also the bible says this.

Is this true ?
No it's not true

The WORD of GOD actually says that GOD will give us a NEW SPIRIT

And in CHRIST through faith in HIM we are reborn of HIS LIFE-giving SPIRIT

The WORD of GOD says ye must be born again

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Man is a spirit with a soul that lives in a body

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly & [I pray God] your whole """spirit & soul & body""" be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(YOUR WHOLE SPIRIT, SOUL & BODY)

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of """soul & spirit""", and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
(THE DIVIDING ASUNDER OF SOUL & SPIRIT)

Our spirit is the everlasting eternal part of each of us.

Your soul is your thoughts & emotions that direct the actions we take. And functions only, in relation with our body.

Your body, well look into a mirror.

God is Spirit: John 4:24. A spirit doesn't have flesh and blood. Luke 24:39

God who is Eternal & Spirit. Breathed His life giving spirit into mans body Gen 2:7. And man became a living soul.

It's only a "living soul" in relation to & in conjunction with the body.

When the body dies & the two are no longer one. Yet, the spirit continues to lives on.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Matthew 16:26 & Mark 8:36 What would it profit a man. To gain the whole world & lose his soul. A soul can be lost.

Our choices in this life will determine whether we spend eternity in the presents of God our creator. Or eternity seperated from God our creator.

MORE HELP:
soul translated from "nepes" noun- self, will, emotions, mind person.

Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words

Topic: Soul, SEE Breath, Breathe

<A-2,Noun,4151,pneuma>
signifies (a) "breath, the breath of life," (b) "wind," "spirit," "breath." See GHOST, LIFE, SPIRIT, WIND.

Gen 2:7 The LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and """breathed""" into his nostrils the """breath of life"""; and man became a living soul.
(GOD """BREATHED""" HIS """BREATH""" = SPIRIT INTO MAN)

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Is this true ?
"A Spirit Man"
Is impersonal and detached

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, Wow ! Say If I could see my spirit, would it look like me ? I mean, would I have a face ?
Would it look like my real face ? Would I have two arms and legs ? I mean, Does the Spirit Man
look closely like my real self (except it's spirit, not flesh) ?

Lets look at some scriptures please.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Rev_16:3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

The Soul is the totality of man not a part of man. The idea that a soul is a part of mine that leaves the body at death came from Greek Philosophy. You can do a quick google search and see what Socrates and Plato taught about the soul. If this was the standard belief back then it would have not been new ideas they would have been presenting.

Now concerning the spirit. Scriptures again.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Luk_23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Job_27:3 All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils;
Job_32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
Job_33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Jas_2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

It is clear that man is not a spirit but man has a spirit which when joined with the body gives life. Lets understand the spirit. God first made the body out of dust. Everything needed for the mechanics of the body to work was there but without the spirit nothing does what it is supposed to do. Its like having the TV unplugged. Perfectly working TV but unless it is plugged on, it can never work. So is the spirit. It gives the body intelligence so every part of the body knows what it is supposed to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Johnnz
Upvote 0