✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Homemade Spicy Ketchup

Years ago, I had gestational diabetes in my first two pregnancies. One day went out to eat with My husband, Corey, before going to my doctor and had a vege-burger and French fries with some ketchup. My sugar was through the roof and when I admitted what I had my doctor, she said, “do you know how much sugar is in ketchup?”

So I started making homemade Ketchup and this version has less than 1/4 tsp per 2 T serving or less. This way I can have my French fries with Ketchup and eat them too without sending my sugar levels though the roof. Now its the only ketchup our children will eat because without all the sugar the other flavors comes through. This is also the base I use to make BBQ sauce, next.

Mix and bring to a boil:
1 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes (4 cups plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and crushed and enough tomato juice to cover tomatoes)

1 small onion chopped

1/3 cup green pepper, chopped

1 T Molasses (or honey)

1/4 cup honey (opt) (1tsp stevia plus 1/4 tsp honey or leave out)

1/2 tsp ground allspice, cloves and cinnamon

1/2 tsp celery seed* and peppercorns

Pinch dry mustard

Small clove garlic crushed

1 part of bay leaf

Boil until halved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool. Place in blender then add to this:

1/4 cup cider or a red wine vinegar like Balsamic

A dash cayenne

Blend until smooth and store in a container in refrigerator.

Note: for people unable to tolerate small seeds, celery can be added, a large piece and removed before blending or their leaves can be added instead. I usually add a stick of celery or a T of chopped leaves.

Reactions: Michie

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice. Will definitely try this. :)
Homemade Spicy Ketchup

Years ago, I had gestational diabetes in my first two pregnancies. One day went out to eat with My husband, Corey, before going to my doctor and had a vege-burger and French fries with some ketchup. My sugar was through the roof and when I admitted what I had my doctor, she said, “do you know how much sugar is in ketchup?”

So I started making homemade Ketchup and this version has less than 1/4 tsp per 2 T serving or less. This way I can have my French fries with Ketchup and eat them too without sending my sugar levels though the roof. Now its the only ketchup our children will eat because without all the sugar the other flavors comes through. This is also the base I use to make BBQ sauce, next.

Mix and bring to a boil:
1 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes (4 cups plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and crushed and enough tomato juice to cover tomatoes)

1 small onion chopped

1/3 cup green pepper, chopped

1 T Molasses (or honey)

1/4 cup honey (opt) (1tsp stevia plus 1/4 tsp honey or leave out)

1/2 tsp ground allspice, cloves and cinnamon

1/2 tsp celery seed* and peppercorns

Pinch dry mustard

Small clove garlic crushed

1 part of bay leaf

Boil until halved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool. Place in blender then add to this:

1/4 cup cider or a red wine vinegar like Balsamic

A dash cayenne

Blend until smooth and store in a container in refrigerator.

Note: for people unable to tolerate small seeds, celery can be added, a large piece and removed before blending or their leaves can be added instead. I usually add a stick of celery or a T of chopped leaves.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its work but once you taste it you'll never go back to the sweet and mostly tasteless stuff. I haven't.
It sounds wonderful! I’m not a big ketchup user but this really sounds good.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes my husband loves BBQ sauce. :)

Barbe Sauce

We created these because making rolls for hot dogs in Passover was just too difficult (at least till I became grain free). So we put these into barbecue sauce which is easy to make if you already have ketchup and this was our children’s favorite way to have hot dogs even now. It also the sauce I put over BBQ Fish.

Sauté until golden in 1 T. Olive oil:
¼ cup finely chopped onion

Add the following and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally:
½ cup water

1 T. Cider or wine vinegar (or another flavorful vinegar)

¼ cup lemon juice (can replace vinegar if needed)

2 T honey (or omit)

1 dash 100% molasses (only pure molasses omit)

1 cup Ketchup (above)

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp paprika

½ tsp smoked paprika

¼ tsp pepper

½ tsp mustard

½ tsp chili powder

This thickens as it cooks so stir more often toward the end of the cooking time. Makes between 1 ¾ cups and 2 cups.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Barbe Sauce

We created these because making rolls for hot dogs in Passover was just too difficult (at least till I became grain free). So we put these into barbecue sauce which is easy to make if you already have ketchup and this was our children’s favorite way to have hot dogs even now. It also the sauce I put over BBQ Fish.

Sauté until golden in 1 T. Olive oil:
¼ cup finely chopped onion

Add the following and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally:
½ cup water

1 T. Cider or wine vinegar (or another flavorful vinegar)

¼ cup lemon juice (can replace vinegar if needed)

2 T honey (or omit)

1 dash 100% molasses (only pure molasses omit)

1 cup Ketchup (above)

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp paprika

½ tsp smoked paprika

¼ tsp pepper

½ tsp mustard

½ tsp chili powder

This thickens as it cooks so stir more often toward the end of the cooking time. Makes between 1 ¾ cups and 2 cups.
Thanks so much! :)

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much! :)
your welcome. As I wrote on the Spiritual growth site, my creativity is cooking is directly related to my physical troubles. They have become a blessing because to find things to eat I also found how to create good food.

• Winner
Upvote 0