Speaking of Eschatological Stuff...

iitb

a.k.a. insaneinthebrain
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟17,935.00
Faith
Judaism
Okay, this theory may have tons of holes in it, and I may be the only person here willing to give it any sort of consideration, but it intrigues me.

Revelation 14:9-13:

Well, I'm sure you noticed that the locations of the marks, hand and forehead, resemble something from Torah:
Exodus 13: 7-16
Deuteronomy 6:4-9
Deuteronomy 11:16-21
Now, I'd rather not start an argument as to whether Tefillin are a literal binding of verses, as Orthodox Judaism teaches, or a symbolic one, a stance most often associated with the Karaites. I will, however, provide the following from Rabbi Samuel Ben Mier(Rashbam), grandson of Rashi:
(note: I grabbed this quote from karaite-korner.org simply for ease of copying and pasting, but I have Rashbam's Exodus commentary, and it says pretty much the same thing)
Now, hypothetically, if these verses from Torah mean we are to have the Word of HaShem in our thoughts and actions always, isn't it possible that the "mark of the beast" isn't a physical mark, but disobedience?

ShirChadash

A Jew, by the grace and love of God. Come home!
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟22,943.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I have had the same thoughts, and am quite certain this is at least a possibility. (Hope I am allowed to say that.) I think it is best to let Scripture interpret itself wherever possible.

Upvote 0

Dr. Shon

Jan 6, 2005
✟15,446.00
Faith
Christian
iitb, I guess it's possible, but I think it will be an actual mark. Personally, I think it will be something like the verichip thing that is being used already in some places. Something that quickly identifies a person as to who they are and what they are, or aren't, allowed to do or have. Just my 2 cents worth.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,808.44
Faith
Messianic
While I agree that the mark of the Lord is found in our thoughts and deeds, man's mark of who we worship will take on some outward sign that they can determine whether they need to killl us or not, whether they can buy from us or sell to us. Because of these man made requirements I would have to agree that the verichip maybe the man made method used to identify those that do and those that don't. I can see it being the replacement for your passport, your health card, your driver's license, and your credit card all rolled up in one inbedded chip...praised for it's advantages.

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟140,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shalom all,

Just a thought and a question. I can see where the verichip or other similar outward mark may seem the correct interpretation, but I am reminded of the Master's comments about Ceasar and Paul's instruction in Roman's 13. If the verichip becomes the law of the land, then what? Are we not supposed to submit to the higher authority in the manner prescribed by said authority?

Upvote 0

debi b

Senior Veteran
Mar 22, 2004
✟5,479.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
iitb said:
Now, hypothetically, if these verses from Torah mean we are to have the Word of HaShem in our thoughts and actions always, isn't it possible that the "mark of the beast" isn't a physical mark, but disobedience?

Well said

Regardless of whether or not it becomes a physical mark - the point you make about disobedience can not be ignored. We should be sober indeed - in deed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums