Sep 12, 2011
✟21,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is another good article by Doug Batchelor from SDA church
Understanding-Tongues

(chapter 6), Doug Batchelor tells us what a prayer in tongue sounds like, "Handa kala shami, handa kala shami, handa kala shami.":eek:

"What Jesus is literally saying in Matthew 6:7 is, when you pray, don't say batta, batta, batta," or don't go to God saying, "Woosh, buzz, zip." (John MacArthur, The Truth About Tongues, Part 1)

This is saying that praying in tongue is like using onomatopoeia, right?

Woosh, buzz, zip, smash, wham, quack, meow, oink, swish, zap, zing, ping, munch, gobble, crunch :doh:

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Isatis said:
Here is another good article by Doug Batchelor from SDA church
Understanding-Tongues

(chapter 6), Doug Batchelor tells us what a prayer in tongue sounds like, "Handa kala shami, handa kala shami, handa kala shami.":eek:

This is saying that praying in tongue is like using onomatopoeia, right?

Woosh, buzz, zip, smash, wham, quack, meow, oink, swish, zap, zing, ping, munch, gobble, crunch :doh:

So during all of those Batman tv shows they were speaking in tongues? Who knew?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Putting up videos of a modern day Saducee like MacArthur is absurd. Not only is the man full of unbelief and unBiblical doctrine, but in his book he couldn't even properly represent the view he attacked, nor could he properly represent the implication of Sola Scriptura. Dog Batchelor is another dead-orthodox minister, with no power. The Bible tells us the Kingdom is not in word only, but in power, and that there would be those who would have a FORM of godliness, but deny the power thereof--from such turn away. Putting up powerless preachers who are mostly just dead-philosophers is not proof.

Note... Sad-U-Cee... Here is a story about a shouting Baptist!

RW Schambach - The Divine Touch - YouTube

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

anim_sleeping.gif

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was a member of a pentecostal church for eight years. Yes, some stuff was not kosher. But as the saying goes, do not throw the baby out with the bath water!

God is much bigger than a hall full of misguided souls.

When looking at speaking in tongues in the bible I ask what the purpose of it was? At Pentecost 3,000 were saved after they heard Galileans extolling the wonders of God in their own languages. So the purpose was evangelism.

Is there still a need for evangelism today? Well that will answer the question if tongues have ceased or not.

Your overview is very nearly the same as the one usually given by those Christians who believe that tongues have ceased.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Jesus discipled his followers to heal the sick and cast out devils. Note the return of the seventy....

And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. - Luke 10:17

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:16-18

Anything less is a watered down Gospel.

Schambach - Press Toward the Mark -Philippians 3:14 - YouTube

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:16-18

Anything less is a watered down Gospel.

Tell us about your experiences handling poisonous snakes and of drinking poison and not being hurt by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Tell us about your experiences handling poisonous snakes and of drinking poison and not being hurt by it.

And the bible also says...

Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. - Matthew 4:7

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And the bible also says...

Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. - Matthew 4:7

Quite so, but I'm assuming, by asking the question I did, that you are not the Lord my God. So back to my question...tell us about your experiences handling snakes and drinking poison but not being hurt. You said that anything less than that is a watered down Gospel, so I assume that you have experienced it in your own life.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
'Very nearly'. A miss is as good as a mile.

Not necessarily. It remains true that the argument you gave for speaking in tongues today is essentially the same as the one given by people who believe that tongues ceased long ago. Interesting, huh?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Quite so, but I'm assuming, by asking the question I did, that you are not the Lord my God. So back to my question...tell us about your experiences handling snakes and drinking poison but not being hurt. You said that anything less than that is a watered down Gospel, so I assume that you have experienced it in your own life.

Do you ever bother reading the bible? Jesus said those words after he was tempted by the devil to do miracles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
As far as miracle go, I carry anointing oil and prayer clothes in a little case in the car. I have seen healings take place. But not by anything of me, but the power of prayer, praying to the Father in the name of Jesus.

Some healings are within the day, others take time.

There was a lady at work who had a massive heart attack and was only given hours to live. A team of believers gathered at her bedside and prayed a healing prayer over her in the name of Jesus. Well, a couple of weeks later she was back at work to tell the story. I asked her if the people who prayed over her were Pentecostal... No, she said, Baptist!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you ever bother reading the bible? Jesus said those words after he was tempted by the devil to do miracles.

Don't pretend like that, and please, don't keep avoiding the question.

You described something as a watered down Gospel, but it's the Gospel you follow yourself. What is any reader to make of that?

Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Putting up videos of a modern day Saducee like MacArthur is absurd. Not only is the man full of unbelief and unBiblical doctrine, but in his book he couldn't even properly represent the view he attacked, nor could he properly represent the implication of Sola Scriptura. Dog Batchelor is another dead-orthodox minister, with no power. The Bible tells us the Kingdom is not in word only, but in power, and that there would be those who would have a FORM of godliness, but deny the power thereof--from such turn away. Putting up powerless preachers who are mostly just dead-philosophers is not proof.

Yeah...ok. You do not like MacArthur because he clearly points out the false teachings of the pentecostals and charismatics.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.