Not open for further replies.

SuperLuey

Nov 3, 2012
✟15,813.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is really no need getting offended and calling people name's because they pray/speak in tongues. I mean the dude calling it gibberish just sounds so...childish. Its like calling my native tiv tongue in africa gibberish because YOU dont understand it. Tongues is a spiritual language(i believe in my heart it has a name but i dont its name) and God understands it as well as the human spirit indwelt by the holy ghost. If you want it interpreted to you by the Holy Ghost He will do so.i have seen and experienced it. I have also seen someone speak in an earthly tongue they never knew in a meeting. The lady prophesied and blessed God,i did not know it was an earthly tongue,till another lady from that tribe came forth and said that woman was blessing God in her language. But then again,i am not suprised some get angry and bash it on this thread. Always happens when a spiritual parameter is measured with carnal sensual parameters, so... Meh... But its in the new testament and children of God can do it. But its not compulsory.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I mean the dude calling it gibberish just sounds so...childish. Its like calling my native tiv tongue in africa gibberish because YOU dont understand it.
I think that "gibberish" just means that it makes no sense (to you the one speaking it). Without any offense, your language would sound like "gibberish" to me (since I speak English). If you didn't speak English, it would sound like gibberish to you.

If you assume that gibberish means some kind of mash that couldn't possibly have a meaning,then you could be offended. That is not how I meant it and tongues always sounds like gibberish to me because my head can't get around it.

My spirit can and I'm glad I am reminded by your post, because I intend to do a lot ofit this morning! Praise God for the ability to edify myself and give thanks well, to pray the will of God in mysteries. It IS for everyone, since God does NOT prefer one over another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is really no need getting offended and calling people name's because they pray/speak in tongues. I mean the dude calling it gibberish just sounds so...childish. Its like calling my native tiv tongue in africa gibberish because YOU dont understand it.

Well....not exactly. While some people no doubt do react that way, there has been a vast amount of study of the tongues-speaking phenomenon, and it is clear that most of it is nothing but a string of monosyllabic sounds having no connection to any actual language but which DOES maintain the regional accents of the speaker.

Sure, the fans of glossolalia will respond by saying 1) it's angelic speech, so it's going to be different, 2) it's ecstatic speech, so it doesn't matter whether or not it's a real language, or 3) we're talking to God, so he can understand it. But the fact remains, it is not language...and that would justify calling it gibberish.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,005.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Amen. Thank you for replying rationally to an emotional issue in the body of Christ.

For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. - Isaiah 28:11

If I may present my view on the seven churches...

Ephesus - Apostolic
Smyrna - Martyrs
Pergamos - Orthodox
Thyatira - Catholic
Sardis - Protestant
Philadelphia - Methodist / Pentecostal
Laodicea - More Charismatic independent

In which... The main difference in the Sardisean and the Philadelphian is in the 'emotionalism.' The Philadelphian cleaves to 'emotionalism' and the Sardisean avoids it. And it also seems that tongues is unique within the Philadelphian church.

Please note that this is not a put down. I like JV McGee, John MacArthur, Charles Stanley, Billy Graham, and Jerry Falwell. I enjoy going to the Thomas Road Baptist church and was brought up Baptist. I am also a supporter of the BBNRadio. So I consider myself fundamentalist.

It is simply best to stay away from the speaking of tongues if that is not where God called you. There are plenty of churches that don't teach it. Why worry about something that your church does not teach?

I was brought up in the Marine Corps and the Baptist church. I had thought that all Catholics were going to hell and that speaking of tongues was of the devil.

All that changed when I came here to farm-land here in south western Virginia. I started working with mom's kin and the people were very much joyful, happy, and alive. I started going to the Pentecostal church with them and then the Holy Spirit started speaking through me as well. Everything was warm, loving, just like episodes out of the Waltons.

I have come to learn that these type revivals all started with John Wesley. Wesley’s journal from Jan. 1, 1739: “About sixty of our brethren until three in the morning, the power of God came mightily on us, insomuch that many cried out for exceeding joy, and many fell to the ground.” John Wesley prayed, “Lord send us revival without its defects but if this is not possible, send revival, defects and all.”

Whitefield wrote of many falling to the ground, trembling exceedingly with strong convulsions. People fell down, cried out, trembled with convulsive twitchings. Sinners dropped down, shrieking, groaning, crying for mercy, convulsed, agonizing, fainting, falling down in distress or in raptures of joy. The noise was like a roar of Niagara. The vast sea of human beings as agitated by a storm. Seized with convulsive jerking all over. So even in the days of Whitefield and Wesley we had everything but the speaking in tongues.

Virginia come to develop its own unique brand of Methodism. To describe these services I must turn to George Clark Rankin who worked this areas Methodist circuit. Here is the url in which must be opened with IE...(George Clark Rankin. The Story of My Life Or More Than a Half Century As I Have Lived It and Seen It Lived Written by Myself at My Own Suggestion and That of Many Others Who Have Known and Loved Me) ... And a few excerpts...

I had associated with me that year a young collegemate, Rev. W. B. Stradley. He was a bright, popular fellow, and we managed to give Wytheville regular Sunday preaching. Stradley became a great preacher and died a few years ago while pastor of Trinity Church, Atlanta, Georgia. We were true yokefellows and did a great work on that charge, held fine revivals and had large ingatherings.

The famous Cripple Creek Campground was on that work. They have kept up campmeetings there for more than a hundred years. It is still the great rallying point for the Methodists of all that section. I have never heard such singing and preaching and shouting anywhere else in my life. I met the Rev. John Boring there and heard him preach. He was a well-known preacher in the conference; original, peculiar, strikingly odd, but a great revival preacher.

Page 241 The rarest character I ever met in my life I met at that campmeeting in the person of Rev. Robert Sheffy, known as "Bob" Sheffy. He was recognized all over Southwest Virginia as the most eccentric preacher of that country. He was a local preacher; crude, illiterate, queer and the oddest specimen known among preachers. But he was saintly in his life, devout in his experience and a man of unbounded faith. He wandered hither and thither over that section attending meetings, holding revivals and living among the people. He was great in prayer, and Cripple Creek campground was not complete without "Bob" Sheffy. They wanted him there to pray and work in the altar.

He was wonderful with penitents. And he was great in following up the sermon with his exhortations and appeals. He would sometimes spend nearly the whole night in the straw with mourners; and now and then if the meeting lagged he would go out on the mountain and spend the entire night in prayer, and the next morning he would come rushing into the service with his face all aglow shouting at the top of his voice. And then the meeting always broke loose with a floodtide.

He could say the oddest things, hold the most unique interviews with God, break forth in the most unexpected spasms of praise, use the homeliest illustrations, do the funniest things and go through with the most grotesque performances of any man born of woman.

It was just "Bob" Sheffy, and nobody thought anything of what he did and said, except to let him have his own way and do exactly as he pleased. In anybody else it would not have been tolerated for a moment. In fact, he acted more like a crazy man than otherwise, but he was wonderful in a meeting. He would stir the people, crowd the mourner's bench with crying penitents and have genuine conversions by the score. I doubt if any man in all that conference has as many souls to his credit in the Lamb's Book of Life as old "Bob" Sheffy.

These revivals continued after 1900 in the form of the Pentecostal Holiness church, to which I belong. We still carry the old Cripple Creek camp meeting tradition of men praying on the left side of the church and the woman on the right. No one remember why. It is a Virginia thing that has been passed down since the mid-1700's.

I personally wish someone would revive these old Virginian ways but fear that these things are unique within their dispensation. I have posted the life of RS Sheffey here (http://www.christianforums.com/t7630646/) in which the good people of Bob Jones have made a movie called "Sheffey.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You who do not believe in speaking in tongues don't have to do it, but please, please stop saying that this beautiful gift from God does not exist.

This is the very power straight from the Throne. My daughter was in the middle of a tornado, I lived 8 hours away, she calls screaming that the tornado is headed straight for her and it was hailing so hard she could not leave - I started praying in the Spirit - the tornado split and took out trees on one side and a storage building on the other - my daughter was safe.

I was standing in the front yard and felt the urge to pray in the Spirit - I did not know why - I just prayed - my son calls he was in CO and I was in Texas - he was in a car accident - rolled the SUV 2-1/2 times, landed upside down, 2 year old twins hanging from the roof in their car seats - no injuries.

I was driving home from an out of town trip with my co-worker - she stopped in the middle of the sentence and said pray, pray in the Spirit - we did not know why - but we prayed - she got home and her neighbor was in a car wreck at that very moment we were praying, in the hospital, but OK.

Don't tell me that tongues do not exist anymore. You are calling what is of God of not being of God and the Bible speaks about this.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well....not exactly. While some people no doubt do react that way, there has been a vast amount of study of the tongues-speaking phenomenon, and it is clear that most of it is nothing but a string of monosyllabic sounds having no connection to any actual language but which DOES maintain the regional accents of the speaker.

Actually, this cannot be proven. There are over 7,000 known languages who myriads of dead languages. Anyone that claims that tongues has no connection to any actual language is making unscientific assumptions.

Sure, the fans of glossolalia will respond by saying 1) it's angelic speech, so it's going to be different, 2) it's ecstatic speech, so it doesn't matter whether or not it's a real language, or 3) we're talking to God, so he can understand it. But the fact remains, it is not language...and that would justify calling it gibberish.

Some do, indeed. I teach that speaking in tongues is speaking in a language. Too call it gibberish is bearing false witness unless one KNOWS for a fact - which is impossible. Now, if one wants to say that THEY BELIEVE it is gibberish, that would be more intellectually honest.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
You who do not believe in speaking in tongues don't have to do it, but please, please stop saying that this beautiful gift from God does not exist.

For people to say that speaking in tongues do not exist is nothing more than a form of liberalism - picking and choosing what passages they believe are valid!

This is the very power straight from the Throne. My daughter was in the middle of a tornado, I lived 8 hours away, she calls screaming that the tornado is headed straight for her and it was hailing so hard she could not leave - I started praying in the Spirit - the tornado split and took out trees on one side and a storage building on the other - my daughter was safe.

It is used as a means of prayer, and thank God you responded to the Holy Spirit.

I was standing in the front yard and felt the urge to pray in the Spirit - I did not know why - I just prayed - my son calls he was in CO and I was in Texas - he was in a car accident - rolled the SUV 2-1/2 times, landed upside down, 2 year old twins hanging from the roof in their car seats - no injuries.

I was driving home from an out of town trip with my co-worker - she stopped in the middle of the sentence and said pray, pray in the Spirit - we did not know why - but we prayed - she got home and her neighbor was in a car wreck at that very moment we were praying, in the hospital, but OK.

Don't tell me that tongues do not exist anymore. You are calling what is of God of not being of God and the Bible speaks about this.

Speaking in tongues is prayer, and God inspires people to speak it - bless God!

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
As someone who has spoken in toungues twice, and never was a charismatic, what irks me the most is how clearly charismatics violate the pattern and prohibitions laid down by Paul to the Corinthians.

1. Most who make this criticism do not have a sound exegesis of 1 Corinthians 14 themselves.
2. Most who make this criticism disobey the same chapter they claim is valid for a theological praxis, for example, "forbid not the speaking of tongues!"

The confusion and craziness of most charismatic churches today are CLEARLY not to be. I am a member of the Presbyterean Church in America, about as straight laced and cessational as it gets. Yet I do believe tongues do occur (how can I deny them?) and have heard, privately and in confidence, old elders, very respected men, confess to me that they too have at times done so.

They hypocrisy of these leaders amazes me. They forbid their congregation from speaking in tongues, yet, they have.... hmmmm....

I think we need a bit of temperance here. Let cessacionists hold their self-certitude a bit, and ESPECIALLY, let the charismatics read Corinthians a hundred times over and repent.

Let non charismatics who ignore the passage repent. Another example that is ignored "What then is it, brethren? whenever ye may come together, each of you hath a psalm, hath a teaching, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation?" I have never seen this even attempted in a Presbyterian church.[/quote]

For an example of a current denom that I think strikes a fair balance I point to Calvary chapel. No I have never been a member, but I do like their approach, which is not to deny, but to have separate services for those who would participate, and all in a seemly fashion.

How absurd to have separate services for practicing what God expects as normative!

Sometimes we think we know too much, and forget that even Paul saw some things as in a 1st century mirror, not altogether clearly. It is good that every man be convinced in his own mind (and that their wives go home and ask their husbands what to believe). It is also good that we not break fellowship and cast stones at every point where the Scriptures are not plainly clear. There is far more clarity that women should cover their heads in Church than over the issue of tounges.

Really!? One passage!

In addition, we have 2,000 years of continual and universal tradition that this be so, Yet that was dropped almost without a word just to please the feminist world that despises us anyway.

Now, I have NEVER been to a Church that insists or even recommends women cover their heads.

I am a Pentecostal, and I teach that women should cover their heads during worship services.

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are absolutely no references in the New Testament that the gift of tongues was meant to cease before the revelation of the pure Bride of Christ at the second coming of Christ. Most reputable Bible scholars state that "the perfect" which is to come (1 Corinthians 13), is referring to the glorified Church which will be revealed at the second coming.

What caused tongues to fade away, was that the Church degraded into formalism, division and heresy, and finally into total apostacy when it was consumed with priestcraft and popery. This was when the supernatural component of the Christian faith disappeared as well. It was noticed in the Fourth and Fifth Centuries that this was happening.

One Bible scholar states that it was the Church itself that has nearly destroyed the divine healing ministry.

John Calvin states in his commentary on 1 Corinthians 14, that the gift of tongues was probably withdrawn by the Lord because of the widespread misuse of it, and it was withdrawn to prevent further discrediting of the gift and of the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

So, my view is that tongues did fade away. That is fully supported by Church history. The apostate church invented theologies that made it appear that it was the Holy Spirit who made it happen, to cover up the reality that it was the formalism, unbelief, and the Latin Church becoming a political entity to try and keep the tottering Roman Empire on its feet.

The Eastern Church was not affected, because it never had to take over the rulership of the nation, and remained a Christian church and not a political entity. This meant that the gifts of healing and tongues continued right through to the 12th Century AD.

There have been successive movements that have preserved the supernatural through the ages, but most of their written records were destroyed by the apostate Church, so all we have are the trial accounts and reports from the enemies of those movements, suggesting that they were heresies. But we can read between the lines, and come to a fair conclusion that although they were seen as heresies by the popish church, the main characteristics of those movements were very similar to the Early Church, and many fundamentalist type churches today.

You will notice that through Church history, that every time the Holy Spirit has tried to revive the Church when it has fallen into decay and formalism, that the established Church has always resisted and persecuted the new movements.

Luther and Calvin were opposed by the established Roman Church of their time.
The Puritans in England were persecuted and opposed by the established English church.
The Scottish Covenanters were persecuted by the Church of Scotland.
The Methodists were opposed and persecuted by the established Church of England (which actually was reformed through the influence of Calvin and the Puritan movement).
The Baptists were persecuted and opposed by the Puritans and the Anglicans.
Charles Finney, in the US, was opposed by his fellow Presbyterians, who were fundamentalists in their time.
The Welsh Revival was criticised and opposed by the established churches in Wales.
The Pentecostal revival, early 20th Century was opposed by the established churches of its time.
The Charismatic revival in the 1960s was opposed by the established Pentecostal churches.

So you can see the pattern.

Did you know that the early Baptists, Brethren churches had the gift of tongues? But as they became formalised the gift faded away.

The early Presbyterians (Scottish Covenanters) had the gift of prophecy operating, and their prophecies came to pass; but this faded away as the Presbyterian church became formalised.

So history keeps repeating itself.

So, having a knowledge of the Early Church fathers, and successive church history is a real help to understanding how the Church has developed over the centuries until now.

Good common sense post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually, this cannot be proven. There are over 7,000 known languages who myriads of dead languages. Anyone that claims that tongues has no connection to any actual language is making unscientific assumptions.

So, your contention is that the "gibberish" MIGHT be some EXTINCT language, perhaps the grunts cave men might have used to communicate?

The day that I hear that argument presented to me by any Pentecostal Christian who's trying to convince me that tongues-speaking is a real language, I'll be sure to get back to you. ;)

Some do, indeed. I teach that speaking in tongues is speaking in a language. Too call it gibberish is bearing false witness unless one KNOWS for a fact - which is impossible.

Now, that's going too far. You cannot show that any of this "gibberish" is actually a language. Instead, you are trying to get by with "maybe there was once some language like this...who knows?" You have no proof and you can name no such language.

Until you can do that, you have no business claiming that the nonsense words that so often pass for language are anything but gibberish. I allowed, in my previous post, that some utterances MIGHT just be genuine, but by no means does that mean there's no gibberish being represented as real language.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,005.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
So, your contention is that the "gibberish" MIGHT be some EXTINCT language, perhaps the grunts cave men might have used to communicate?

The day that I hear that argument presented to me by any Pentecostal Christian who's trying to convince me that tongues-speaking is a real language, I'll be sure to get back to you. ;)

It is not the "gibberish" as much as it is the Holy Ghost in the heart. You get the Holy Ghost in the heart and along with that comes a radiant light. As in Einsteins theory E=mc2 so m = E/c2 and there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - Mass
Intellectual E/c2 - Intellect
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation / love) / light (faith, hope, charity, joy)

A. CHARITY Galatians 5: Love, Joy , Peace, Fortitude, Patience, Gentleness, Goodness, etc.
I Cor 13: Kindness, Politeness, and Perfection
Caritus: Latin’s highest form of Love
Charit'e: French derivative, "Cheri" means beloved
Charis: Greek for Grace
Chara: Greek for Joy
Eucharisteo: “Much Grace” Greek for gratitude
Charizomai: Greek for well-favored
Chairo: Greek for Cheer, "Cheerio Mate!"
Chrestos: Useful, gracious
Chrestotes: Excellence in character
Euchrestos: Greek for profitable
Charisma: Heavenly Graciousness
Chrisma: Heavenly Anointing

B. FAITH “What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.” –Mark 11:24

C. HOPE “My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope. “ -Ovid

You get the Holy Ghost its like fire shut up in your bones. You will feel the anointing like warm oil and a boldness as well. As the Holy Spirit comes into the heart the mind cannot help to praise God and the Lamb. Sometimes in another language.

And the Spirit of God came upon Saul when he heard those tidings, and his anger was kindled greatly. - 1 Sam 11:6

Even in the old testament when the Spirit of God came upon folks dynamic things followed.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,005.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If I may describe the sensation of arriving at the place of the anointing of the Holy Spirit it would be in metaphor of the Hebrew temple...

1. Outer Gates - Justification - Faith
2. Alter - Accepting Jesus in the heart
3. Laver - The place of cleansing
***Inner temple - You are now fit for some quality spiritual goods***
4. Table of Shewbread - God's word within heart and mind
5. Lampstand - Spiritual E/c2 as I described in the post above.
6. Alter of Golden Incense - A place of prayer and praise
***The Holy of Holies - You are now fit for the Baptism in the Holy Ghost***
7. The Ark of the Covenant - The place of anointing and Holy Ghost baptism.

The Holy Spirit is there helping us all the way. When I was a Baptist I felt the clean sensations of having dwelt in the Inner Temple. When I entered into the Holy of Holies in a Pentecostal Holiness church it was like, wow... I have never felt anything like that.

We had a sister get drunk in the Spirit one time in revival and thats all she would do is laugh. When she was asked to testify the next night in revival she said that she spent all night in God's word!

I have read of an old Orthodox saint by the name of Montanus who said that, ""Man is a lyre which the Spirit of God strikes," When the Holy Spirit comes in powerful things will follow!

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is closed for staff review.

As a reminder, this is not the Charismatic forum, it is the Fundamentalist forum.

Edit: This thread is staying closed

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.