Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Can mean going ballistic about
Something in slang

What country are you in? Your profile doesn't say. I've never heard "ham" said here in the US, not even on TV. But I'm old now, so what do I know. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The following website should prove to be of interest to some, it provides an online and searchable Greek lexicon.

upload_2017-7-20_13-39-42.png

"Definitions in this lexicon are mostly derived from A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early Christian Literature, Third Edition by Bauer, Danker, Arndt and Gingrich (BDAG3); A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Thayer; the online Greek-English Lexicon by Henry George Liddell and Robert Scott; The Analytical Greek Lexicon by Moulton; The Analytical Greek Lexicon by Mounce; and The New Analytical Greek Lexicon edited by Perschbacher. A few other sources were also used:.​

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The following website should prove to be of interest to some, it provides an online and searchable Greek lexicon.

View attachment 201712

"Definitions in this lexicon are mostly derived from A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other Early Christian Literature, Third Edition by Bauer, Danker, Arndt and Gingrich (BDAG3); A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Thayer; the online Greek-English Lexicon by Henry George Liddell and Robert Scott; The Analytical Greek Lexicon by Moulton; The Analytical Greek Lexicon by Mounce; and The New Analytical Greek Lexicon edited by Perschbacher. A few other sources were also used:.​

Thank you. I put it in my favorites to use. Do you know of an on-line English/Greek interlinear New Testament so I can find the Greek word I want to look up?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I put it in my favorites to use. Do you know of an on-line English/Greek interlinear New Testament so I can find the Greek word I want to look up?
Well, you just might happen to enjoy the link that I am providing to the ESV Interlinear with Strong's numbers. Link
You can use the online feature or you can download each individual Book and chapter as a separate PDF file, though the image I have provided is not as clear as the downloads.

upload_2017-7-20_19-42-15.png

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You should enjoy this very nice free Scripture Analyser Program which is only about 13MB. link

upload_2017-7-20_19-51-7.png

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Oh boy, here we go again . . . and again . . . and again!
Tell me, how many discussions have you and I had over my frequent use of the terms cessationist and hardcore-cessationist, let alone with my frequent references to those who are deemed to be 'open-but-cautious'? For that matter, how many times have I explained to other members how these terms are best used -- and here you are pretending as if it is something new.

Now, what is a cessationist. Some are hardcore-cessationists such as yourself, who for whatever reason have chosen what is deemed to be a rationalist-humanist approach to the things of the Spirit. As for most who are cessationists, they are this way not so much as a result of a conscious decision but often it is a result of being raised in an environment that is little different to the Ephesian disciples who said to Paul, "We have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit". Were the Ephesians cessationists by choice, of course not, but the term still applies even if they are this way by choice or through ignorance - they are still one in the same.

Then again, many contemporary 'cessationists' are this way not because of any theological belief but merely because they believe that the Holy Spirit somehow changed his mind in that he no longer works the same way today as he once did. As most of these individuals have probably never witnessed any tangible power or presence of the Holy Spirit then I suppose, due to their lack of experience, that their worldview actually makes some sense.

And of course, as Paul wrote not only to the Churches in Corinth and Achaia but to the churches throughout the Roman world and to us down through the Ages, then his words are just as relevant, or even more relevant today than they were in his day.

Tell me, if you need any further explanations can I maybe reply using a crayon font if this would help - for goodness sake!

Amazing! Even after repeatedly being proved wrong you are still trying to wriggle your way out of your mistake. Unbelievably, it seems you don't even know what a cessationist is - your definition is wrong. A cessationist is someone who believes that certain gifts ceased after the apostolic age. The clue is in the word 'cessation'.

Wikipedia - Cessationism
In Christianity, cessationism is the doctrine that spiritual gifts such as speaking in tongues, prophecy and healing ceased with the apostolic age.

Encyclopedic Dictionary of Religion
Cessationism: the belief that tongues and other special gifts enjoyed by early believers in the early Christian movement faded in the early fourth century CE, and are thus not present today

So how then could there be cessationists during the apostolic age, when the definition of a cessationist is someone who believes that certain gifts ceased after the apostolic age? You are plainly wrong in claiming Paul told the Corinthians their tongues would confuse cessationist visitors. And the Ephesian disciples didn't even know what a spiritual gift was, let alone believe that certain ones would cease in the future.

As I have said to you on COUNTLESS OCCASIONS, learn to understand how the BGAD (and other lexicons) use both glosses and Extended definitions. If you can demonstrate that you can figure this out then we can proceed further with the BGAD (not the BAG or BAGD) lexicon definition of charisma.

That's a bit rich coming from you when it was me that had to teach you how the BDAG system works a few months ago when you mixed up their extended definitions with their glosses on their entry for phóné. You then tried to wriggle your way out of that one by making an even bigger gaff in claiming BDAG had stopped using glosses!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Amazing! Even after repeatedly being proved wrong you are still trying to wriggle your way out of your mistake. Unbelievably, it seems you don't even know what a cessationist is - your definition is wrong. A cessationist is someone who believes that certain gifts ceased after the apostolic age. The clue is in the word 'cessation'.

Wikipedia - Cessationism
In Christianity, cessationism is the doctrine that spiritual gifts such as speaking in tongues, prophecy and healing ceased with the apostolic age.

Encyclopedic Dictionary of Religion
Cessationism: the belief that tongues and other special gifts enjoyed by early believers in the early Christian movement faded in the early fourth century CE, and are thus not present today

So how then could there be cessationists during the apostolic age, when the definition of a cessationist is someone who believes that certain gifts ceased after the apostolic age? You are plainly wrong in claiming Paul told the Corinthians their tongues would confuse cessationist visitors. And the Ephesian disciples didn't even know what a spiritual gift was, let alone believe that certain ones would cease in the future.

That's a bit rich coming from you when it was me that had to explain to you how the BDAG works a few months ago when you mixed up their extended definitions with their glosses on their entry for phóné. You then tried to wriggle your way out of that one by making an even bigger gaff in claiming BDAG had stopped using glosses!

And what a surprise when God turned the wisdom of man into foolishness when He brought a tidal wave of the gifts back to awaken a church that was almost dead. Not even the Reformation could fully awaken her. No more trickles here and there, but a blooming church getting ready for her wedding. Come join her.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
And what a surprise when God turned the wisdom of man into foolishness when He brought a tidal wave of the gifts back to awaken a church that was almost dead. Not even the Reformation could fully awaken her. No more trickles here and there, but a blooming church getting ready for her wedding. Come join her.

What we see today in charismatic and pentecostal circles is not from God but rather a tidal wave of counterfeits that do not match the biblical descriptions of the true NT gifts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What we see today in charismatic and pentecostal circles is not from God but rather a tidal wave of counterfeits that do not match the biblical descriptions of the true NT gifts.

Just keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you do, so I'm sure you are convinced. But you are still in a dead church. Look around you.

What is your denomination anyway? I bet Reformed.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What country are you in? Your profile doesn't say. I've never heard "ham" said here in the US, not even on TV. But I'm old now, so what do I know. LOL
I'm in the US. Learned some slang while my kids were in their late teens.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you do, so I'm sure you are convinced. But you are still in a dead church. Look around you.

What is your denomination anyway? I bet Reformed.
We shouldn't call any church dead. Poor Jesus has to visit. Where two or more are gathered in My Name, I am there also.

That is a Charismatic/Pentecostal saying and it's dissrespectful

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm in the US. Learned some slang while my kids were in their late teens.

Unfortunately I'm totally alone. Just me and my animals. (They don't use slang - or maybe they do, cause I can't understand what they are saying) LOL

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
We shouldn't call any church dead. Poor Jesus has to visit. Where two or more are gathered in My Name, I am there also.

That is a Charismatic/Pentecostal saying and it's dissrespectful

I'm referring to the letter of Jesus to the church of Sardis. He is the one who said,

The Dead Church

3 “And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,

‘These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: “I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch, I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you. 4 You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. 5 He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

6 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”’

7 letters to seven churches. As is the Book of Revelation a prophecy, so is one aspect of these letters. They represent the 7 church ages of the Church until it is complete.

Ephesus - apostolic age
Smyrna - time of the martyrs
Pergamos - Constantine stopped the martyrdom, but kept pagan symbolism.
Thyatira - the Roman Catholic Church
Sardis - the Reformation
Philadelphia - Bible based churches
Laodecia - the lukewarm church

But you are not dead, because you study the word. You may be a Catholic or Calvinist, but if you are faithful to the Word of God, you are alive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Biblehub. Find your verse. Then choose Interlinear from toolbar.

Upvote 0

HighCherub

Jul 20, 2017
Richmond, VA
✟4,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Meh.

I've never been convinced of anyone I've heard 'speak in tongues'.

But that's just me being honest- not saying that they are all simply pretending, who can really know..

One thing I will say though is that, reading scripture, it doesn't seem like a permanent gift but rather a temporary phenomenon stemming from Jesus's triumph.

Upvote 0