Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante reports President Obama later warned Republicans he was willing to risk his presidency to stick by his insistence for a long-term agreement.

"I've reached my limit. This may bring my presidency down, but I will not yield on this," said Mr. Obama, according to a Republican source.

I wonder how many Republicans, or any politicians really for that matter, would be willing to commit political suicide in sticking to their guns. Obama is really starting to emerge as a true leader in sticking up to the GOP and their childish antics.

Obama is willing to swallow a poisonous political pill (spending cuts and reforms to popular programs) to pass a long term deal but Republicans aren't (heaven forbid the rich don't get their private jet deductions!!!).

It's clear who is a true leader and who is more concerned about the country than their career or politics.

Source: Obama says he'll risk job for debt deal - CBS News

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ya know, I was really startin to lose hope in all this political mess. This is incredibly refreshing to hear.

....by the way, am I the only one curious how the Republicans are gonna spin this one? You KNOW they're gonna try, I juts can't imagine how they'd swing it.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,887.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's too bad for the Republicans. They had an opportunity to actually play a leading, or at least shared lead role in this whole debacle. Now, they are being portrayed more and more as the group unwilling to get something done.

Isn't that a famous complaint about the Senate down in America way?

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The GOP are going to be on the losing side of this one. Instead of swallowing some tax loopholes being closed they are going to throw everything away.

They could have accepted Obama's deal and managed to say "We didn't get everything we wanted, but we did cut $2 trillion in government spending to help reign in the deficit over the next several years". But that would be the adult thing to do.

Instead, Obama will be able to say "I am willing to risk my Presidency and my political career to get a deal done. I offered up trillions in spending cuts and wanted to end some tax deductions for things like oil companies who are making record profits and rich executives flying on private jets. Instead the GOP refused to work with me and compromise a little bit".

What is on the table allows both sides to grumble a bit yet still be able to spin it into a victory. Which is what compromise is supposed to be about.

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wait, so Obama says he will not resort to scare tactics and then says seniors and veterans won't get checks. His polls on handling the economy are at an all time low. He promised that without the Tarp unemployment would go above 9%, he got Tarp and unemployment went above 10 and is still above 9. His agenda for the first 2 years resulted in one of the largest republican landslides ever in history - bigger than 94 and the base is much more vocal about cutting spending than it ever was. Our credit rating is dropping and Moody's keeps threatening to drop it further. Gold is at an all time high and people buy gold because they are either scared or stupid, never because they think things are going swimmingly.

Obama's career is tanking before his eyes and he has no clue what to do about it. His only hope for reelection is the republicans putting someone truly hateful or completely unknown against him and now he says he's willing to put his job on the line to stick to his failing agenda? Duh. How this can be translated as something noble is beyond me. He's such a miserable failure as a leader he simply can't see a way to salvage his inevitable loss besides acting like he wanted it.

"fire me? I'm already fired! fire me? I'm already fired!"

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess this all boils down to who is going to be cursed more fervently when the economy finally collapses: Obama or Congress.

I say all of them. All they know how to do is blow money. If a single one of these idiots spent money like that in a civilian job, they'd have been fired for gross incompetance years ago, if not being sentenced to prison.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, the Republicans are acting like children. Obama is just calling them on it. He has bent over backward to give them cuts and now Republicans don't want to give anything back in the deal. Sorry, but that is not going to cut it.

Though if I was Obama I would offer more deeper cuts that would hurt Republican programs in trade for tax loopholes. If they where serous about cutting the budget then they need to give a little as well.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟277,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What happens when the money literally runs out? I mean, when there is nothing---nothing left, because the country is literally bankrupt? When we have spent ourselves into utter and complete oblivion?

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What happens when the money literally runs out? I mean, when there is nothing---nothing left, because the country is literally bankrupt? When we have spent ourselves into utter and complete oblivion?
I don't know if you noticed, but that appears to be what the O-man is tryin to avoid.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Then the country ends up on a payment plan where 70% of everyones income ends up paying off the debt. At the same time we end up on the corporate dole....

And that is best case in my mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟277,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if you noticed, but that appears to be what the O-man is tryin to avoid.

So when you run out of money, you just continue to borrow?

Right. Let me know how that works out for you on your mortgage, your car payments, or anything else that you owe on. Sooner or later, you get cut off. Then you have a vast problem.

That's what we're facing here. The level of debt this country is carrying is unsustainable.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obama is showing that he's willing to sacrifice his political aspirations for the good of the country. The Republicans are showing that they value getting elected over the good of the country.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Right. Let me know how that works out for you on your mortgage, your car payments, or anything else that you owe on. Sooner or later, you get cut off. Then you have a vast problem.

That's what we're facing here. The level of debt this country is carrying is unsustainable.
...ok, unless my reading comrpehension skills have gone down hardcore(which is possibility, my heads been getting screwed pretty hard the last year), the plan was to make cuts to spending and up taxes, precisely so we could start paying that stuff off. Borrowing endlessly IS bad, but doing something to start paying off that debt is good.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟910,475.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Then perhaps we should close the tax loopholes and go after tax scofflaws along with reducing spending? Maybe even raising taxes on those making record profits?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟277,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Politicians, business people, stock managers. How about we all pitch in to pull ourselves out of this mess?

Here's an idea: you want to stimulate the economy? Great. Nullify any further spending of the funds earmarked for the stimulus bill, and in it's place, cut a Treasury check for every taxpayer over the age of 18 for $1 million dollars. That'll cost a lot less than the porkulous bill and it'll also do a heckuva lot more to stimulate the economy than wasting money fixing highways that don't need to be fixed, which is what they've been doing with it in my neck of the woods.

Next, jettison the entire tax system. All of it. All the loopholes, all the little legal tricks and bennies and everything else. In its place, institute a flat tax or a fair tax, maybe even a consumption tax.

Next, recall all American forces from all foreign countries where they are currently stationed within 48 hours. No exceptions, save for maybe embassy personnel.

Next, limit all pay and benefits to every Federal government employee from Comrade Obama and Congress on down to the current minimum wage with a modest medical plan. Outlaw all special interest bribes.

Next, raise said minimum wage to something that every American can live on without having to apply for food stamps so they don't have to make the choice every month whether to buy lights and gasoline or food to eat.

Next, jettison every Federal employee that is superfluous. There is no reason on God's green earth why Michelle Obama needs 50 servants. If she wants them, she can pay for them out of her own pocket.

Next, announce that henceforth, business participation in Obamacare will be completely voluntary.

And finally, announce that government interference in business will be at an extreme minimum. The government's part in trade will be to stay out of the way.

There are more things that could be done, but that's a start.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, question! Isn;t the term COmrade used for communist comparisons? If it isn't, then cool, I'm nto confused anymore. But to siggest just hadning everybodyy 1 mil and then referring to somebody else as "Comrade" seems to be rather hypocritical.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟910,475.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Here's an idea: you want to stimulate the economy? Great. Nullify any further spending of the funds earmarked for the stimulus bill, and in it's place, cut a Treasury check for every taxpayer over the age of 18 for $1 million dollars. That'll cost a lot less than the porkulous bill and it'll also do a heckuva lot more to stimulate the economy than wasting money fixing highways that don't need to be fixed, which is what they've been doing with it in my neck of the woods.

Next, jettison the entire tax system. All of it. All the loopholes, all the little legal tricks and bennies and everything else. In its place, institute a flat tax or a fair tax, maybe even a consumption tax.

Next, recall all American forces from all foreign countries where they are currently stationed within 48 hours. No exceptions, save for maybe embassy personnel.

Next, limit all pay and benefits to every Federal government employee from Comrade Obama and Congress on down to the current minimum wage with a modest medical plan. Outlaw all special interest bribes.

Next, raise said minimum wage to something that every American can live on without having to apply for food stamps so they don't have to make the choice every month whether to buy lights and gasoline or food to eat.

Next, jettison every Federal employee that is superfluous. There is no reason on God's green earth why Michelle Obama needs 50 servants. If she wants them, she can pay for them out of her own pocket.

Next, announce that henceforth, business participation in Obamacare will be completely voluntary.

And finally, announce that government interference in business will be at an extreme minimum. The government's part in trade will be to stay out of the way.

There are more things that could be done, but that's a start.

Hey, you have the political capital to get those things done, knock yourself out! Personally I was trying to go small and deal with things that have an actual possibility of happening.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wonder how many Republicans, or any politicians really for that matter, would be willing to commit political suicide in sticking to their guns. Obama is really starting to emerge as a true leader in sticking up to the GOP and their childish antics.

Obama is willing to swallow a poisonous political pill (spending cuts and reforms to popular programs) to pass a long term deal but Republicans aren't (heaven forbid the rich don't get their private jet deductions!!!).

It's clear who is a true leader and who is more concerned about the country than their career or politics.

Source: Obama says he'll risk job for debt deal - CBS News
Are you serious with this? Were you singing the praises of Paul Ryan and the republicans when they passed a budget that included spending cuts and reforms to popular programs? Perhaps you missed Obamas budget for this year that came out in February. You know, the one with no cuts or reforms of any kind that completely ignored the deficit and the findings of the debt commission that he set up. The one that went down in flames in the senate by a 97-0 vote. Is that the "true leader" you are talking about?

And as for these supposed cuts and reforms to popular programs that Obama is now heroically embracing, what are they? What specific cuts has he put down paper that he will support?

Upvote 0