Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You don't have to be a (born again) Christian to be a living soul.
A living soul is a blob of biology with the breath of life.
I assume you breathe too. ;)
Nope, Jesus said "let the dead bury their own dead". Obviously he was speaking of zombies such as myself.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 2:7
Yes? This is exactly what I said. God creates a Body, breathes life into it (breath is ruach, which also means Spirit), and animates the soul (Nephesh, which can be dead or living Nephesh in the OT, with the addition of Spirit seeming to be the difference between them).
So it is saying God gave a body, imparted Spirit to it, and thus granting man a living Soul.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes? This is exactly what I said. God creates a Body, breathes life into it (breath is ruach, which also means Spirit), and animates the soul (Nephesh, which can be dead or living Nephesh in the OT, with the addition of Spirit seeming to be the difference between them).
So it is saying God gave a body, imparted Spirit to it, and thus granting man a living Soul.
Breath in this passage is not ruach.

"In fact נשׁמה “breath” is a narrower and rarer term than רוח “wind, spirit.” “Breath,” the ability to breathe, is a key characteristic of animal life as opposed to plant life. The flood destroyed “everything which has the breath of life in its nostrils” (7:22). Frequently, however, “breath” is more restrictive: to have breath is to be human (Josh 11:11; Isa 2:22), though it can of course be used analogically of the breath of God, e.g., 2 Sam 22:16." (Wenham, G. J. Commentary on Genesis)

Nor is "soul" a separate constituent:

"As a result of this divine inbreathing, man became a “living creature” (נפשׁ חיה). This phrase is used again of the land animals and birds in 2:19; 9:9; and in 1:20 it is also used of sea creatures. ... Given the other uses of the phrase נפשׁ חיה in Gen 1, 2, 9, it seems unlikely that 2:7, “man became a living creature,” means any more than the TEV rendering “and the man began to live.” (op cit)

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Breath in this passage is not ruach.

"In fact נשׁמה “breath” is a narrower and rarer term than רוח “wind, spirit.” “Breath,” the ability to breathe, is a key characteristic of animal life as opposed to plant life. The flood destroyed “everything which has the breath of life in its nostrils” (7:22). Frequently, however, “breath” is more restrictive: to have breath is to be human (Josh 11:11; Isa 2:22), though it can of course be used analogically of the breath of God, e.g., 2 Sam 22:16." (Wenham, G. J. Commentary on Genesis)

Nor is "soul" a separate constituent:

"As a result of this divine inbreathing, man became a “living creature” (נפשׁ חיה). This phrase is used again of the land animals and birds in 2:19; 9:9; and in 1:20 it is also used of sea creatures. ... Given the other uses of the phrase נפשׁ חיה in Gen 1, 2, 9, it seems unlikely that 2:7, “man became a living creature,” means any more than the TEV rendering “and the man began to live.” (op cit)
Well, I don't understand Hebrew, nor have done an in-depth study on the passage. I was just working off my limited knowledge here. Mea culpa, I didn't check what the Hebrew was.

So essentially, if I understand correctly, this verse says nothing on our actual constituents vis-a-vis body, soul and spirit. It was posted as an claim that we are a 'Living Soul' though, which remains erroneous.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think Genesis 2:7 is erroneous.
(or did i miss something?)
See what @hedrick wrote in post #65. The Hebrew word that is translated "breath" is not the Hebrew word normally used for "spirit" or "soul". So Genesis 2:7 only means that the newly created Adam started breathing like other animal life.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See what @hedrick wrote in post #65. The Hebrew word that is translated "breath" is not the Hebrew word normally used for "spirit" or "soul". So Genesis 2:7 only means that the newly created Adam started breathing like other animal life.
I think you misunderstand.
It doesn't matter about the ruach or breath, the result is a living soul, which is what humans are.

Upvote 0