✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,
I'm struggling with something a little odd and was wondering if anyone had some insight. I'm a writer, been writing for many years, and I'm hoping to be published someday, but for now I just write for fun.

Here's my problem, though: recently (as in, like, the last couple of days) I've come to the realization that I get too much enjoyment out of writing my characters in pain. I get the whole "conflict and struggles make for a compelling story," and most of the time my characters are rescued, or something happens to make things okay again. But I feel like I get too much enjoyment out of writing the actual Interrogation Scene or Character Gets Wounded scene. I feel like there's something wrong with me, and I should just stop writing. But I don't want to do that, because what if being able to write is a gift from God? Most people I've heard from on this (via Reddit) say it's normal. Maybe I'm over thinking it. But it feels wrong. Anyone come across something like this?

Side note: I'm pretty sure I have OCD. While the above is a genuine problem, I'm not sure if the amount of anxiety I'm feeling is from OCD, or from it being a issue. I could just be over thinking this and need to let it go completely, or it's an actual issue, but my brain is blowing it out of proportion. Or something else..

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey all,
I'm struggling with something a little odd and was wondering if anyone had some insight. I'm a writer, been writing for many years, and I'm hoping to be published someday, but for now I just write for fun.

Here's my problem, though: recently (as in, like, the last couple of days) I've come to the realization that I get too much enjoyment out of writing my characters in pain. I get the whole "conflict and struggles make for a compelling story," and most of the time my characters are rescued, or something happens to make things okay again. But I feel like I get too much enjoyment out of writing the actual Interrogation Scene or Character Gets Wounded scene. I feel like there's something wrong with me, and I should just stop writing. But I don't want to do that, because what if being able to write is a gift from God? Most people I've heard from on this (via Reddit) say it's normal. Maybe I'm over thinking it. But it feels wrong. Anyone come across something like this?

Side note: I'm pretty sure I have OCD. While the above is a genuine problem, I'm not sure if the amount of anxiety I'm feeling is from OCD, or from it being a issue. I could just be over thinking this and need to let it go completely, or it's an actual issue, but my brain is blowing it out of proportion. Or something else..
Well...not trying to account at all for any OCD side, one possible thing that could be happening (maybe) is that when you write about someone being wounded or hurt that you are in effect writing the 'truth' about some real life experience, and that is why it is so compelling. In real life, many or perhaps even most of us have been hurt in significant ways at times. By telling a story of someone being hurt, we are in effect getting at the truth of that instead of ignoring or covering it up. Now, if it becomes so compelling you want to spend all your time writing it, that could be that you have a covered up pain you feel compelled to respond to, and the writing is a way. One thing that could help if that happens is to work (perhaps with help) to recover that old memory and reconnect the feeling to its actual source/event, so that it doesn't stay an unconnected energy that keeps coming up all the time.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would probably be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor. OCD needs maintenance to help you get off the loop.
Hey all,

Upvote 0

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m also a writer who really enjoys working on these scenes!

I’m not discounting that sometimes we can have unhealthy fixations on things (OCD/other potential mental factors notwithstanding). But I don’t think that enjoying writing these scenes is inherently bad. Sometimes there’s a sense of emotional catharsis; writing can be used to express pain we have, and it’s understandable that, if we’re dealing with our own pain, writing characters can be a way we process it. There’s also the fact that hurt can often lead to healing. From my own experience, I enjoy writing the scenes where characters find comfort, but that can only happen after they’ve been hurt. Sometimes the hurt is enjoyable to write because we anticipate the good stuff that comes after it. That make sense?

If it’s a big concern, you should definitely pray about it and see a doctor. It could be an issue (I don’t know your own situation) or it could just be the OCD. But you’re definitely not the only one who feels like this!

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree w/Mitchie, Maddcat. It seems logical to screen an OCD problem out of the equation first, if it is not that, since you do know that that is an active possible factor.

I do not think emotions are the problem, either way. It is more like an obsessive thought behavior, whether OCD or an issue which you need to work out relative to some past experience, an active experience, a friend's dilemma, and etc. If it is really bothering you and not OCD then I suggest seeing a general counselor, NOT any Joe Blow on the street or forum, for your own welfare.

I could guess like others but I could end up doing more damage than good.

All I can say, as you have already perceived, is that wanting to dwell on suffering and torture and enjoy it needs to be addressed.

If, as Christians, all we dwelt upon was Jesus' sufferings and torture we would be quite a miserable lot, right? There is a lot more to the story which defines and gives purpose to that bad stuff. Actually, more important stuff, like God loving us enough to put His only Son through that horrible moment in time and space so that we could also rise above terrible stuff like Jesus and rejoice in God's Fatherly, adoptive love and be with Him forever.

One does NOT have to align themselves with the politically correct or popular themes or plots to be a great artist. I think that the best artists are those who venture into their own, God-given skill and creativity and ignore the rest. A higher education in writing and composition and such really help one to plan and organize and communicate in effective ways their creativity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey all,

Maybe you getting enjoyment of wounded characters is you expressing your inner hurt in a different way which is probably why youre getting satisfaction from it.

I just read Duke's comment after the fact. I agree with Duke...

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would probably be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor. OCD needs maintenance to help you get off the loop.

as an OCD survivor, i second this! i had to have help to get on top of mine

• Winner
Upvote 0