Walking is harding than Talking.
Aug 20, 2006
Georgia
✟10,243.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, to be honest, I thought the same things when I first saw pictures of Orthodox "worship" and heard some of the things you do.

Ya'll could really do yourself a service and explain things better to the rest of the Christian body (whether you recognize your brothers/sisters or not). Seeing guys running around with golden staffs and stuff doesn't really float a lot of people's boats (considering a lot of Christians are Protestant). Ignorance is bliss, eh?

One of the biggest things my father attacks me about is how EO seems like the Judaism. I would defend you, but I only know so much (I'm getting smarter everyday, though ;)).

edit: perhaps that came out wrong, I only meant that a lot of sects of Christianity would escape the suffering of rumors if they explained themselves to the "rest of the body". One step towards union could be that everybody start to explain what they believe, just to set the record straight; get rid of nasty rumors like the ones in the link and the things I used to think of ya'll.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Judging by everyone's responses, I think I'll spare myself getting upset or hurt and not look.
On the other hand, the prooftexting is nothing short of laughable... part of me can't help but wonder if it's all a joke.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, to be honest, I thought the same things when I first saw pictures of Orthodox "worship" and heard some of the things you do.

Ya'll could really do yourself a service and explain things better to the rest of the Christian body (whether you recognize your brothers/sisters or not). Seeing guys running around with golden staffs and stuff doesn't really float a lot of people's boats (considering a lot of Christians are Protestant). Ignorance is bliss, eh?

One of the biggest things my father attacks me about is how EO seems like the Judaism. I would defend you, but I only know so much (I'm getting smarter everyday, though ;)).

edit: perhaps that came out wrong, I only meant that a lot of sects of Christianity would escape the suffering of rumors if they explained themselves to the "rest of the body". One step towards union could be that everybody start to explain what they believe, just to set the record straight; get rid of nasty rumors like the ones in the link and the things I used to think of ya'll.
I don't know how much more explaining we could do... There are plenty of books that talk about all this stuff - pamphlets on it in nearly every church I've been to, priests available to talk to, and a lot of informed parishoners. Heck, even internet forums have a high percentage of Orthodox posters on them relative to the percentage of Orthodox in the US.

There isn't a lot we can do when someone doesn't even bother to ask us why we do this thing or that - most often they just assume its idolatrous or stubborn and useless tradition, and it takes a lot of effort to even get them to recognize that there might be a legitimate reason for doing such a thing.

I cannot stop another person's willful ignorance - I can only offer them the tools and hope they take them to heart (ie a priest, or a good book like Kalistos' "The Orthodox Church," or, worst case scenario, my own explanations).

Sorry - didn't mean to rant. Perhaps I could phrase it this way: what else can we do? If there's something we can do to help stop these false impressions, please, suggest it. We're all ears!

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Could be, Kjell, but I'm not wanting to look at this time. Maybe tomorrow when I'm fresh. It's been a long day.
Go with your gut, and avoid it. I'm sorry I went. It's like when someone sent me a link to the video of those Iraqi terrorists beheading Nick Berg. I wish I could take my decision to watch that back, too.

Yes, this person (or these people) need our prayers.

Upvote 0

Seeker of the Truth

Walking is harding than Talking.
Aug 20, 2006
Georgia
✟10,243.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't know how much more explaining we could do... There are plenty of books that talk about all this stuff - pamphlets on it in nearly every church I've been to, priests available to talk to, and a lot of informed parishoners. Heck, even internet forums have a high percentage of Orthodox posters on them relative to the percentage of Orthodox in the US.

There isn't a lot we can do when someone doesn't even bother to ask us why we do this thing or that - most often they just assume its idolatrous or stubborn and useless tradition, and it takes a lot of effort to even get them to recognize that there might be a legitimate reason for doing such a thing.

I cannot stop another person's willful ignorance - I can only offer them the tools and hope they take them to heart (ie a priest, or a good book like Kalistos' "The Orthodox Church," or, worst case scenario, my own explanations).

Sorry - didn't mean to rant. Perhaps I could phrase it this way: what else can we do? If there's something we can do to help stop these false impressions, please, suggest it. We're all ears!

In Christ,
Macarius

LOL.

hermm... well, possibly nothing, so just take my post and throw it in the trash, please. :p

No, but honestly, something needs to change (not EO necessarily)...the body of Christ is being splintered into millions of pieces. I'm surprised for the 2,000 years that Christianity has existed, we're not...well, gone.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL.

hermm... well, possibly nothing, so just take my post and throw it in the trash, please. :p

No, but honestly, something needs to change (not EO necessarily)...the body of Christ is being splintered into millions of pieces. I'm surprised for the 2,000 years that Christianity has existed, we're not...well, gone.
During the majority of that time, the divisions weren't that many, aside from the constant stream of small schismatic and heretical groups.

There was the "Great Church," which in the early fifth century split into the Orthodox Catholic church, the so-called "Nestorian" churches (who reject Ephesus) and the so-called "Monophysite" or "Oriental Orthodox" churches (who reject Chalcedon but accept Ephesus).

500 years later, the Orthodox-Catholic church split between the Western Latin, papist church and the Eastern Greek, conciliar church.

So for the first 75% of the Christian history, there were at most 4 major groups: Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox (split into Nestorian and Monophysite, though those titles are misleading), and Western Roman.

Those groups still account for approximately 70% of Christians worldwide. It's the other 30% - the protestants for whom sola scriptura has proved more of a dividing point than a systematic and unified method of reconstructing the church, that is so divided and subdivided.

For that to change, I honestly think they'd have to repent of sola scriptura - that's the one common element that continues to divide them (excepting the anglicans, who are not divided but are paralized to make their doctrine consistent in the wars between liberals and conservatives). Everyone has his or her own interpretation of scripture, even within a church (a congregation) there is tremendous diversity (in a bad sense) of doctrine and belief, because there is no authority (nor any possible source of ecclesiological authority within their theology) to stabilize the mess and reverse course.

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I laughed too. Sorry, but the repeated pointing out of the 'illuminati' skull and crossbones on the crosses held by the priests was just too much :D The fact that the skull and bones is found under Christ's feet on the cross is obviously too subtle for them to understand ("trampling death by death") but then these guys are against crosses as well, and not even the iconoclasts at the height of their heresy dared to go that far.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.