Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Psalms 34 (I think hand on and I will check to be sure) verse 11 tells us to listen so that we can learn what the fear of the Lord is. Point being that it isn't just a work of the HS but a work of our putting forth the effort to listen and learn as well...amen.
The term 'the fear of the Lord' has different nuances; but Psalm 111 is also about this theme.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
do you have that quote handy...I can look it up but thought if you knew it off hand that would be great
What strikes me is that New Testament writers look way back into the Old Testament past and are often so familiar with it, but then also they look way into the future in certain hope, with their grasp of the divine unfolding and purpose.

• Agree
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Psalms 34 (I think hand on and I will check to be sure) verse 11 tells us to listen so that we can learn what the fear of the Lord is. Point being that it isn't just a work of the HS but a work of our putting forth the effort to listen and learn as well...amen.
Part of the key is in Psalm 46.10: "Be still, and know that I am God."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
amen and yet we fear in the midst of that comfort, we detest corrections etc.
PS:

I guess correction is all part of the purging process that goes on for those who abide in the vine (John 15). Not to do with losing salvation (which if one truly has, will not be lost, I strongly believe) but with the process of being refined and made more like the image of Christ as we follow Him by grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The 23rd Psalm has some very interesting aspects. When it says, 'Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies', this is something David had done as a sheppard himself. In those days if there was a fight and one of the combatants dies, it wasn't murder, but the family could seek revenge. The law was that if the person could make it to one of the Levitical cities they could be given sanctuary until the High Priest dies. While fleeing if he could get his hands on the posts of the tent of a sheppard he could be given sanctuary for the night so the sheppard hosted both the one fleeing and his enemies. In the morning he got a head start and the chase was on.

For such a short Psalm this one is loaded with all kinds of theology. Small wonder it's such a popular sermon topic and inspires so much devotional attention.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The 23rd Psalm has some very interesting aspects. When it says, 'Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies', this is something David had done as a sheppard himself. In those days if there was a fight and one of the combatants dies, it wasn't murder, but the family could seek revenge. The law was that if the person could make it to one of the Levitical cities they could be given sanctuary until the High Priest dies. While fleeing if he could get his hands on the posts of the tent of a sheppard he could be given sanctuary for the night so the sheppard hosted both the one fleeing and his enemies. In the morning he got a head start and the chase was on.

For such a short Psalm this one is loaded with all kinds of theology. Small wonder it's such a popular sermon topic and inspires so much devotional attention.

Grace and peace,
Mark
There is such a lot there; and when believers from a Gentile background read a passage, sometimes some of their significance to those of a Jewish background is not immediately apparent.

The Psalm 23 - John 10 linkage is of course rather overt.

Hebrews 13 speaks of 'that great Shepherd of the sheep' Who has been raised from the dead, and strengthens His pilgrim people.

Upvote 0