Some thoughts on Psalm 23

Daniel_

May 10, 2011
✟19,969.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This Psalm was written by King David, who himself was a shepherd before God called him to Israel's throne. Also this psalm is in the middle of a trio of psalms that prophesy about Jesus: Psalm 22 speaks of his death, Psalm 23 speaks of his resurrection, and Psalm 24 speaks of his ascension. We'll see the theme of resurrection especially in 23:4 & 6.
23:1
'The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.'

The other theme is about the LORD as our shepherd, throughout Psalm 23 we'll see what this means. Jesus refers to this imagery when he said, 'I am the good shepherd'. He is good to us for he is good! We know this because he laid down his life for us (John 10:11). Most of what Jesus said in John 10 is like a sermon on Psalm 23. The imagery of the shepherd and his sheep can teach us a lot about God and ourselves. Sheep are completely reliant on a shepherd to provide for them, lead them, and protect them. Of course we are vastly more intelligent than sheep but remember every good thing is from the LORD, our intellect and life included. And as we'll see, only the LORD can lead us into all truth and protect us from the grave.
Before David became king, he had to beg at least twice and even when he was king, he spent time hiding in the wilderness, all the time trusting in the LORD who never failed to deliver him. So David knew what it's like to have little, but he also knew the LORD was his shepherd; therefore he'd never lack what he needed. Our actual needs are few, most of what we say we need we only want. Many poor people live with surprisingly little. And sometimes it's only when we begin to be in need when we realize our greatest need: for God's forgiveness. To have little and sometimes not enough can help to strengthen our faith and make us more thankful. The apostle Paul said in Philippians 4:12, 'I have learned the secret to being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.'

23:2
'He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,'

We see here a couple of metaphors of how the good shepherd cares for our inner being. A person is not just a body, a thing, a number; God calls each one of us by name to follow him because he wants to fill our soul with joy and peace! Jesus said we'll find rest for our soul if we come to him (Matthew 11:28-30). It's important to realize God doesn't always take us out of difficult situations, but he doesn't have to because if we know him as our LORD, our shepherd, we can retain inner peace despite our circumstances. Sheep are led by quiet waters to calm them; likewise God leads us into his peace. Oceanographers tell us that even in a violent storm, just 25 feet below the raging waves, the water is completely calm. Jesus takes us deep into faith and knowledge of God which lead to the still waters of his deep peace. How deep we go in faith and God's word is up to us, the further we go, the easier it'll become to cope with life's storms, and the more nourished our soul will be. We still have emotional pain but there's always comfort in the Holy Spirit. It's the life giving power of the Spirit who fills us with peace. He is described by Jesus as living water (John 4:10) because he gives love, joy, peace... (Galatians 5:22-23).
Revelation 7:17
'For the Lamb [Jesus] at the center before the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water...'

God himself and his good qualities are the essence of life we were created for and what we're ultimately longing for. Only Jesus can give it.
Sheep won't lie down unless they feel safe and secure, in Christ our soul is safe and secure even beyond the grave. He makes us lay down in green pastures, even rich pastures (Ezekiel 34:14-15), where we find rich nourishment for our soul through God's word, resting in the truth and not needing to wander to other teachings, they don't have the words of eternal life. If we know the voice of Jesus our shepherd by understanding his word, he'll guide us and help us to follow him, to apply his word to our life and live in obedience, so we'll find the rest for our soul in his pastures (John 10:9, 27). We'll never be spirituality hungry or thirsty if we stay with Jesus (John 6:35). Where Jesus leads us may involve challenging situations. Discipleship may be hard but it's worth it, and Jesus laid down his life for us his sheep, so we owe our lives to him in discipleship! He enables us to know security and peace in God. We must learn to trust our shepherd's leading and good care!

23:3
'he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.'

I can certainly say that since I became a Christian, especially as I've read and contemplated on God's word, and when I've fervently asked for his help and grace in times of uncertainty and anguish, God has refreshed my soul, granting me strength and peace and assurance. It's like a breath of new life poured into my soul, helping me to trust my good shepherd. The refreshing that God can bring to a person's soul is a shadow of his power to raise the dead. We could translate the phrase 'he refreshes my soul' as 'he brings my soul back'. As we'll see more next time, God will bring back from the dead to live forever, those who have put their faith in Jesus, who died and was resurrected.
When righteousness prevails, it refreshes the soul of the righteous, and it's the good shepherd who leads us in righteous ways. Let us never tire of doing good, but be refreshed by it.
The right paths God leads us on doesn't mean there are multiple paths to God, faith in Jesus is the only way (John 8:24; 14:6). There are many good things we can do, we are saved so we may do good for the world, all this brings glory to God because every good thing we may do reflects something of God's goodness. We love because God first loved us (1 John 4:9). And when God saves people it's for his honor and praise and glory which he deserves, because he is God. Salvation displays his love and power.
God wants to lead us back to him where there's eternal life and many blessings for us in this life too. We all like sheep have gone astray (Isaiah 53:6), Like sheep, we may not even realise it and even if we do, we cannot find our way back to our shepherd on our own. But God seeks after every lost soul in order to bring them safely home (Luke 15:3-7). Don't run from God, he's not a bad shepherd or a thief who will take what is good from you, that's what the devil does. Jesus has come so you may have life and have it to the full (John 10:10)!
If you're in a position of caring for people's souls through teaching spiritual truth, be a good shepherd of God's flock. Teach what's in line with the truth, lead people in righteousness by your example of a willingness to serve and build others up, not reluctantly but out of love, and when Jesus the Chief Shepherd appears you'll receive the crown of glory that'll never fade (1 Peter 5:1-4). If a teacher in the church teaches what's contrary to Scripture, or doesn't lead by example, the church cannot prosper under them. Find a church that teaches and seeks to live out the gospel!

23:4
'Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.'

This here is a picture of the security of the sheep of Christ, those who have embraced him as their own, as their personal Lord and Savior, their Good Shepherd! He himself died in our place so we wouldn't have to face the rod of God's judgement for our sins. And on the third day he rose from the dead, overcoming it and never to die again! This was written about 1000BC but God allowed David to see the hope of resurrection, just as he allowed David to see something of the cross in Psalm 22. Perhaps David was prophesying Christ's resurrection, he certainly knew resurrection was for the Lord's people too (also see 2 Samuel 12:23). We all have to face death (unless the Lord returns first) so we need this resurrection hope. We can struggle against suffering, injury etc. but death we're completely helpless against if we don't have the security of the good shepherd.
Notice 3 things from our text:
1. It's only the 'shadow' of death: The shadow of a viper can't sting you, so in Christ death loses its sting to be able to harm us. There is no evil in death for Christ's sheep to fear. 'Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? (1 Corinthians 15:55)'
2. It's a valley: yes deep and dark but not like a pit with no escape. The staff of God symbolizes his power, like the signs God performed through Moses using his staff. Likewise he has power to rescue us from the grave, we only pass through it. There were people before Christ's resurrection who were raised to life, but later they died again. But about his sheep Jesus said, 'I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand (John 10:28)'.
3. It's a walk through it: we don't have to run scared for God walks with us, and that's always a blessed time! We pass under the shepherd's rod (Leviticus 27:32) comforted that our sins are forgiven and his rod will bring eternal justice in his right time, and also as a shepherd’s rod guides the sheep so we are comforted that our good Shepherd will guide us safely through death into his glorious light and eternal life!

23:5
'You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.'

In ancient Near Eastern culture, it was customary to provide a feast for a guest, to anoint them with fragrant oils, and the host was expected to provide security for their guests. David uses this imagery to tell how the Lord our shepherd provides for and protects his people. God has prepared a feast of good things from the Earth for all people. Often David had enemies out to get him, but he trusted God's provision, care and protection which he promises for his people (Romans 8:28) and no enemy can hinder it. Even if people kill the body, they cannot kill the soul and even in allowing us to die, God will take his people to the eternal security of heaven. God also gives an abundance of good things (my cup overflows) such is God's heart to lavish good things on us. Remember we live in a fallen world so we'll have tough times as well as good. Material prosperity doesn't prove a person is blessed by God. It's in Jesus that a way has been prepared to enter God's presence, and in that we receive spiritual blessings, even in abundance, including protection from the devil and the second death. We receive the feast of God's love and a good conscience, the oil of joy through the anointing of the Holy Spirit, the cup of salvation which overflows to all parts of our life.
Isaiah 40:11a
'He [God] tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart...'
John 10:11-13
‘I am
the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.’

23:6
'Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.'

What a blessing and comfort to have such assurance and trust in the LORD our shepherd! God is near to those who pray to him as their God (Deuteronomy 4:7). David also wrote, 'All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful toward those who keep the demands of his covenant. For the sake of your name, LORD, forgive my iniquity, though it is great. (Psalm 25:10-11)'
Nobody can keep all God's commands; David recognized that and his need to ask for forgiveness. God is not close to those who delight in sin and don't desire to obey his ways. We can only enter God's fellowship and presence through forgiveness in Jesus, which requires true repentance before him. Only then can we have the assurance of God's goodness and love following us. And they follow us continually for the rest of our life, even though we keep on sinning, because we are forgiven sinners thanks to Jesus!
It's God's love and goodness that lead us into a right relationship with him, and ultimately will lead us home to be with him and to joyfully serve him forever! If you have believed in Jesus then you've returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your soul (1 Peter 2:25).
Hebrews 13:20-21
'Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.'

So as we conclude our series on Psalm 23, I hope you have seen many things about God's care, provision, protection and salvation that will help you to trust him for all your life. And also cause you to love him more and desiring to walk in his ways all your life!
May you know the eternal hope of resurrection in Jesus our Lord and Shepherd!

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
'Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.'
my favourite line or verse. Awesome psalm isn't it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
as I read this psalms especially the line you refer to, I wonder how many of us really get what it says in a real and tangible way?
Good to read the Psalm as a while, right? Having said that, the promise of the Lord's presence through the valley of the shadow of death has brought peace and comfort to many.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good to read the Psalm as a while, right? Having said that, the promise of the Lord's presence through the valley of the shadow of death has brought peace and comfort to many.
amen and yet we fear in the midst of that comfort, we detest corrections etc. There is no doubt that we find comfort in the Psalms but do we really live in the whole realm of that comfort? Is our trust complete to the point of no fear, no doubts?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I ponder this question I think of some of the greats in scripture...men and woman who were intimate with God and yet they knew fear. Take Elijah for example, or Moses and his doubts. It's human nature whereas the goal is to be so absorbed in Christ that we loss those fears and doubts in His presence we simply trust and rest.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
amen and yet we fear in the midst of that comfort, we detest corrections etc. There is no doubt that we find comfort in the Psalms but do we really live in the whole realm of that comfort? Is our trust complete to the point of no fear, no doubts?
Searching questions, yes. The sheer range of the experiences of the Psalm writers is immense and searching.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I ponder this question I think of some of the greats in scripture...men and woman who were intimate with God and yet they knew fear. Take Elijah for example, or Moses and his doubts. It's human nature whereas the goal is to be so absorbed in Christ that we loss those fears and doubts in His presence we simply trust and rest.
Psalm 46 says 'therefore will we not fear...' To come to this point, the grace of God must have already been working.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 46 says 'therefore will we not fear...' To come to this point, the grace of God must have already been working.
Psalms 34 (I think hand on and I will check to be sure) verse 11 tells us to listen so that we can learn what the fear of the Lord is. Point being that it isn't just a work of the HS but a work of our putting forth the effort to listen and learn as well...amen.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Psalms 34 (I think hand on and I will check to be sure) verse 11 tells us to listen so that we can learn what the fear of the Lord is. Point being that it isn't just a work of the HS but a work of our putting forth the effort to listen and learn as well...amen.
The apostle peter quotes that very Psalms verse.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0