Skreia
✟1,914.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Number one, they say you only do things because the brain rewards you, but as a singer and a musician I sometimes do things just to do it even when it gives nothing back not even a good feeling straight away and not knowing if it`ll and over time you learn to be endurant instead and use your willpower only,

number two, you know sometimes you see these white, swirling things in a room late at night and even your cat perhaps sees it also, I think it`s from nature itself, think about it, when humans and animals are created, if the soul was made first it`d suffer because of the waiting-time to get a body to move around, so the consicouness is there to begin with but in a different form sort of, it`s from nature itself I think because when you see these white, swirling things you also feel a little closeness, I have earlier pictures this consicouness of nature to be a long, brown thing, just a mental picture sort of, so today many people turn on nature because they want knowlegde perhaps and some other stuff, but nature actually made them probably,

number three, you`re not a brain, some children are born only with the brain-stem and still looks somewhat normal and have a personality and everything, so you`re not a brain for sure, I know it`s called a disease to not have one and to be born without it and it may be important to for example, make hormones, but you can`t still argue that they don`t have a personality without it and move around and eat and say things, so they`re clearly a real person without it and when they operate half of the brain away when you have epelepsy for example, you sometimes get paralysed because of it, but I think personally the reason you get paralysed is from the shock itself of losing a bodypart and not because of anything else,

so, what`all for today, I just wanted to say it so hopefully people get a little wiser :)

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Number one, they say you only do things because the brain rewards you, but as a singer and a musician I sometimes do things just to do it even when it gives nothing back not even a good feeling straight away and not knowing if it`ll and over time you learn to be endurant instead and use your willpower only,

number two, you know sometimes you see these white, swirling things in a room late at night and even your cat perhaps sees it also, I think it`s from nature itself, think about it, when humans and animals are created, if the soul was made first it`d suffer because of the waiting-time to get a body to move around, so the consicouness is there to begin with but in a different form sort of, it`s from nature itself I think because when you see these white, swirling things you also feel a little closeness, I have earlier pictures this consicouness of nature to be a long, brown thing, just a mental picture sort of, so today many people turn on nature because they want knowlegde perhaps and some other stuff, but nature actually made them probably,

number three, you`re not a brain, some children are born only with the brain-stem and still looks somewhat normal and have a personality and everything, so you`re not a brain for sure, I know it`s called a disease to not have one and to be born without it and it may be important to for example, make hormones, but you can`t still argue that they don`t have a personality without it and move around and eat and say things, so they`re clearly a real person without it and when they operate half of the brain away when you have epelepsy for example, you sometimes get paralysed because of it, but I think personally the reason you get paralysed is from the shock itself of losing a bodypart and not because of anything else,

so, what`all for today, I just wanted to say it so hopefully people get a little wiser :)
Welcome!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Number one, they say you only do things because the brain rewards you,
Positive reinforcement?
alexanderfrank1985 said:
number two, you know sometimes you see these white, swirling things in a room late at night ...
Yes.

When the vitreous gel inside your eye rubs or pulls on the retina, you may see what looks like flashing lights or lightning streaks. You may have experienced this sensation if you have ever been hit in the eye and see "stars."
alexanderfrank1985 said:
number three, you`re not a brain, some children are born only with the brain-stem and still looks somewhat normal and have a personality and everything,
Due to Thalidomide?

Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome dear fellow :) I haven't technically earned welcoming rights, but there it is!

The last point is excellent and true. Materialists claim that everything can be reduced to pistons firing in grey matter. There's so much more going on.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

You’ve posted this stuff about not having a brain before.

Go back and read the responses you got then.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
... so, what`all for today, I just wanted to say it so hopefully people get a little wiser :)
Saying what you said, doesn't convey any wisdom though .. There's nothing there one can actually use.
(Ie: your purpose in posting this thread, just appears to merely be about voicing your personal opinions ..?)

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Saying what you said, doesn't convey any wisdom though .. There's nothing there one can actually use.
(Ie: your purpose in posting this thread, just appears to merely be about voicing your personal opinions ..?)
Actually, I got something out of the OP that I can use. And that's that we are more than a machine. And that there's something about consciousness and soul that needs to be looked at related to what life is.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I got something out of the OP that I can use. And that's that we are more than a machine. And that there's something about consciousness and soul that needs to be looked at related to what life is.
Good luck in trying to convince others there, then ..

'Machines' are tools specifically conceived, designed and constructed by humans .. this is objectively demonstrable. Noticing that humans are able to conceive and implement ideas, which, themselves, create new niches that we go on to exploit, is no big news.

The study of 'consciousness', has gone on for millenia and is yet to produce a useful definition. Neuroscience aims to to develop techniques for assessing consciousness objectively in humans as well as other animals, and to understand the neural and psychological mechanisms that underlie it (which are useful avenues for investigation).

'Soul' is completely subjective, and is thus unlikely to ever produce a useful definition.

Beyond providing some reassurances for personally held beliefs and impacts thereof, the usefulness of your above proposal, (along with the OP ideas), remains unclear and is hence, scientifically unconvincing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Good luck in trying to convince others there, then ..
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. The total sum of my reply is that I got something out of the OP AND that I thought that "there's something about consciousness and soul that needs to be looked at related to what life is."

The study of 'consciousness', has gone on for millenia and is yet to produce a useful definition. Neuroscience aims to to develop techniques for assessing consciousness objectively in humans as well as other animals, and to understand the neural and psychological mechanisms that underlie it (which are useful avenues for investigation).
As living, breathing Human Beings, we have consciousness. We are self aware. We don't need science to tell us that fact. It's what we do with it, as Human Beings that go into being what we are as a person. That's pretty much what I was looking at when reading the OP.

'Soul' is completely subjective, and is thus unlikely to ever produce a useful definition.

Those who experience Soul do so as an aspect of self-aware consciousness. It's one of those aspects of being a Human Being. It's not unlike the conscious experiences of Love, or beauty or the enjoyment of music, none of which can really be defined but are things that make us Human. So I understand that when a definition is required for everything, the understanding of Soul will not be understood. I have no problem with that. Thankfully I happen to live in a world where Soul is everything, so much so that the very bases of reality starts with Soul.

Beyond providing some reassurances for personally held beliefs and impacts thereof, the usefulness of your above proposal, (along with the OP ideas), remains unclear and is hence, scientifically unconvincing.
I'm not wanting to convince anyone of anything. But for myself I'm just convinced that there's a lot more going on with what Life is that stretches way beyond any attempts of a scientific definition.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,142.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. The total sum of my reply is that I got something out of the OP AND that I thought that "there's something about consciousness and soul that needs to be looked at related to what life is."
As living, breathing Human Beings, we have consciousness. We are self aware. We don't need science to tell us that fact. It's what we do with it, as Human Beings that go into being what we are as a person. That's pretty much what I was looking at when reading the OP.
Those who experience Soul do so as an aspect of self-aware consciousness. It's one of those aspects of being a Human Being. It's not unlike the conscious experiences of Love, or beauty or the enjoyment of music, none of which can really be defined but are things that make us Human. So I understand that when a definition is required for everything, the understanding of Soul will not be understood. I have no problem with that. Thankfully I happen to live in a world where Soul is everything, so much so that the very bases of reality starts with Soul.
I'm not wanting to convince anyone of anything. But for myself I'm just convinced that there's a lot more going on with what Life is that stretches way beyond any attempts of a scientific definition.
I, personally, don't have any major problems with you expressing your emotional contexts when it comes to 'soul', starting with 'consciousness'.

We are in a Physical Sciences forum and my responses are demonstrably consistent with the purpose of this particular forum. I'll leave it up to you to demonstrate the same, for yours.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
We are in a Physical Sciences forum and my responses are demonstrably consistent with the purpose of this particular forum. I'll leave it up to you to demonstrate the same, for yours.
Your right of course. But OP didn't really fall into that focus, nor did your reply that I replied to.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
You’ve posted this stuff about not having a brain before.

Go back and read the responses you got then.
Further to those responses, there are a few children born without any cortex that show emotion and personality but without evidence of cognition. This is support for the work of Antonio Damasio and others showing that the basic emotions arise from the brain stem as part of an ancient survival response (producing motivational drives), and that feelings are elaborated from these.

• Informative
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Positive reinforcement?Yes.

When the vitreous gel inside your eye rubs or pulls on the retina, you may see what looks like flashing lights or lightning streaks.
Anyone seeing these things should make to see an ophthalmologist SOON…. This from some just having had a torn retina.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums