Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
The following that I re-post here was emailed to my spiritual family. The message is a series of quotes from writings that I link below by Charles Eisenstein where he argues that the main threat is not "warming per se", but is caused by "the degradation of ecosystems world wide:"

Charles Eisenstein writes:
“We are in fact facing a very serious climate crisis. However the main threat is not warming per se; it is what we might call “climate derangement.” This derangement is caused primarily by the degradation of ecosystems worldwide: the draining of wetlands, the clear-cutting of forests, the tillage and erosion of soil, the decimation of fish, the destruction of habitats for development, the poisoning of air, soil, and water with chemicals, the damming of rivers, the extermination of predators, and so on. Through disruption of the carbon cycle, the water cycle, and more mysterious Gaian processes, these activities degrade the resiliency of the ecosphere, leaving it unable to cope with the additional greenhouse gases emitted through human activity….The problem with the climate debate then is primarily one of misplaced emphasis….” He goes on to say, no matter whether there is global warming or not, “the most urgent priority is to protect and restore soil, water and ecosystems worldwide.”

His point is that we need to focus on all of these eco-systems, and do what we can, locally, each in our own ways.

He also writes:
“What does it matter, when one party disengages because they think there is no problem, and the other disengages because they think there’s no solution.”

The Wrong Debate | Books

• Winner
Reactions: Astrophile

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about everyone else, but I can chew gum and pass wind at the same time. I don't have to stop doing one to do the other. Managing two entirely different processes simultaneously is not beyond me. So I guess I could also concentrate on more than one problem at a time.

Here's hoping the rest of us can as well.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Be my guest.

I'm sure my taxes are fighting this climate problem as well.
What I do know for a fact is that my taxes are going to recovery of climate caused destruction and death.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following that I re-post here was emailed to my spiritual family. The message is a series of quotes from writings that I link below by Charles Eisenstein where he argues that the main threat is not "warming per se", but is caused by "the degradation of ecosystems world wide:"

“We are in fact facing a very serious climate crisis. However the main threat is not warming per se; it is what we might call “climate derangement.” This derangement is caused primarily by the degradation of ecosystems worldwide: the draining of wetlands, the clear-cutting of forests, the tillage and erosion of soil, the decimation of fish, the destruction of habitats for development, the poisoning of air, soil, and water with chemicals, the damming of rivers, the extermination of predators, and so on. Through disruption of the carbon cycle, the water cycle, and more mysterious Gaian processes, these activities degrade the resiliency of the ecosphere, leaving it unable to cope with the additional greenhouse gases emitted through human activity….The problem with the climate debate then is primarily one of misplaced emphasis….” He goes on to say, no matter whether there is global warming or not, “the most urgent priority is to protect and restore soil, water and ecosystems worldwide.”

His point is that we need to focus on all of these eco-systems, and do what we can, locally, each in our own ways.

He also writes:
“What does it matter, when one party disengages because they think there is no problem, and the other disengages because they think there’s no solution.”

The Wrong Debate | Books
Planting trees is a great way to help reduce global warming. By planting a tree today, you can make a difference for the future of our planet. Plant yours today !
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's probably contributing to the climate mess we're in too.

Probably through having a cement patio and glass windows.
If it's not already a light color, I'd paint or stain a cement patio a light color.

Meanwhile, responsible people are doing a lot to try to help the world be able to transition away from dumping megatons of CO2 into the air every year.

Which is sorta like....remember how used to be way back in the 70s or 80s you'd have a trash pickup drive, where you'd go out with a group to pick up trash in some area, like a beach or park or roadside? It's somewhat like that, but more deadly serious for younger generations, like our kids or grandkids.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Which is sorta like....remember how used to be way back in the 70s or 80s you'd have a trash pickup drive, where you'd go out with a group to pick up trash in some area, like a beach or park or roadside? It's somewhat like that, but more deadly serious for younger generations, like our kids or grandkids.

Ya -- remember this commercial?

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

He also writes:

The Wrong Debate | Books
Often enough it's the wrong topic.

By the news if you cant find your car keys,
that caused by climate change.

Or Maui fire.

They stripped off the native vegetation for sugarcane.

Then abandoned the fields to invasive cogon grass.

A huge thick stand of 6 ft tall dry grass....catches fire!

That isn't climate change.

The fad, for such it is, of attributing everything
to climate is ridiculous. And counterproductive.

Environmental degradation meanwhile goes on
on a massive worldwide stage, and is little noted.

I bet the average person in Maui saw nothing odd about
a landscape of one species of grass, nor knew its non native.

The world can warm up and cool off in its own.
See ice ages.

I don't doubt that CO2 emissions contribute to the
mess we are making.

Awareness and mitigation is nice. Buy a Prius,
make a speech.

But ALL of thevenvironmental issues have one
cause.

Too many people.

• Winner
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too many people.
and doing the wrong things, from large corporations to the people who do business with them. And that is all of us. But we can hardly help it.
I've got to get to work. So I drive a care. Even EV has environmental impact. All the energy we use to heat and cool our homes make us part of a larger system. What saddens me even more than the climate is the ubiquity of plastics, freaking everywhere including in my own body..

• Agree
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums