Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
racer said:
Ohhhhh, Bubba, Bubba, Bubba, this is why I love source references:

Doesn't say quite the same thing as your quote does it? What's your source? Recognize mine?
No, did not recognize yours, but thanks for the link. You are still sweet.:kiss: My came from Answers I think. Could not give you a link while challenging to guess who. To me it reads the same.

Not sure how to read that and say Augustine does not equate something he says is approved by the Apostles (who wrote most of the NT) or the Church (which Augustine would say is guided by the Spirit) with Sacred Scripture.

He does seem to start out by telling Janarius to first lighten up, something we should all probably do. Goes on to tell him we believe in holding to everything in sacred scripture (which BTW would include for Augustine the 7 books most non-Catholics reject) except for the Law that held the Israelites in "bondage to sin". He then adds that not only scripture BUT WE ALSO HOLD TO TRADITION that is given to us by either the Apostles or also by a council of Bishops and so TAUGHT ALL OVER THE WORLD where ever the Church is. He does add the caveat about the councils by saying that their authority being under the Church (again guided by the Spirit) is useful. My thought there is that he wished not to equate Bishops with Apostles, but wanted to distinguish them as a separate group also having teaching Authority, which has always been a Church teaching.

To me it is clear he wanted Janarius to hold to and understand that there is both Sacred Scripture AND Tradition. Telling him that he can trust whatever else in a "like manner" (whether by scripture, Apostles or councils) is taught whereever the Church is. If that is not equating Tradition on the same level as Sacred Scripture, not sure how more clearly Augustine could have said it.

Tradition does not replace Scripture for us, but it complements and is as important to us as Sacred Scripture.Nite Racer chick:sleep:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.