PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can you share the verses wherein Jesus taught that?
So, you are saying that Jesus favorite meal was fish since scripture doesn't tell us that His favorite meal wasn't fish. The logic you are using is too funny.

Upvote 0

Darren Court

Sep 22, 2016
UK
✟19,802.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting to me that, when tempted by Satan, Jesus responded FOUR times "It is written" and quoted scripture to refute Satan's claims. One might glean that we too should refer to the written word.

Matthew 4​

English Standard Version​

The Temptation of Jesus​

4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” 4 But he answered, “It is written,
“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple 6 and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written,
“‘He will command his angels concerning you,’
and
“‘On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.’”
7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’” 8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 And he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.” 10 Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written,
“‘You shall worship the Lord your God
and him only shall you serve.’”
11 Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and were ministering to him.
This is one of the fundamental problems with the Catholic position.

When God gave His chosen people scripture (OT), there was absolutely no notion of any other authority. Indeed the Jews clerics went to great efforts to preserve God's word as precisely as possible over centuries and it was deemed sufficient for all that time. Sure they argued over the interpretation but nobody claim overriding authority and when Jesus came, He fully endorsed it not just in His temptation but many times.

Yet I hear it argued that all the early Christians had before scripture was the oral tradition, which is true but misses the point. All the Jews had before it was written was the oral tradition but all the divine elements were written after which any extra oral tradition was not considered divine.

Of course the problems for Catholics grows even bigger when we ask the question, Why wasn't everything written before those who directly experienced it died, or at the very least the generation after?

Upvote 0

Not of the World

Dec 13, 2022
central Florida
✟2,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul tells us the Church is the Pillar of faith. 1Tim 3:15
Not accurate. He said Jesus.

2 Timothy 3:15-17

English Standard Version

15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Not of the World

Dec 13, 2022
central Florida
✟2,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is one of the fundamental problems with the Catholic position.
At some point the congregation that was founded in Rome went off the rails and began teaching all sorts of things that aren't Biblical. It's clear to me, a former Catholic of 50 years, that the RCC is "of the world".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not accurate
you are free to ignore scripture.

2 Timothy 3:15-17​

English Standard Version​

15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
this also doesn't tell us that the Rule of Faith for a Christian is the Bible.

At the time of Timothy's youth, the scriptures were the Tanakh, not the Bible. And it say they make you wise, which is true. You are still adding to what scripture is saying, which you are free to do. Just admit it.

Upvote 0

Not of the World

Dec 13, 2022
central Florida
✟2,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you are free to ignore scripture.
You claimed that the scripture said one thing and I corrected you and SHOWED you the actual scripture and now you're telling that I'm free to "ignore scripture"? You are not engaging honestly with us.

Upvote 0

Not of the World

Dec 13, 2022
central Florida
✟2,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this also doesn't tell us that the Rule of Faith for a Christian is the Bible
I KNOW that the Bible is TRUE. If someone makes a claim I look to the Bible to see if their claim is consistent with Biblical teachings.

It was after I started reading the Bible that I realized that my Catholic faith was wrong.

Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You claimed that the scripture said one thing and I corrected you and SHOWED you the actual scripture and now you're telling that I'm free to "ignore scripture"? You are not engaging honestly with us.
all I did was quote scripture. If you are uncomfortable with what scripture teaches, I can't help that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I KNOW that the Bible is TRUE. If someone makes a claim I look to the Bible to see if their claim is consistent with Biblical teachings.

It was after I started reading the Bible that I realized that my Catholic faith was wrong.
Of course the Bible is true, it is The Word of God. That is why I follow it's teachings and don't add to it or subtract from it.

Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I encourage all Catholics to read the Bible. It is the word of God.​

Matthew 22:29 ESV​

But Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God.

Which Bible? The many different protestant ones? Ones with books taken out?

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
John 1:1-3, 14 (NASB)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.​
3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.​
14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father,​
full of grace and truth.​
SOLA SCRIPTURA
Deuteronomy 17:14-20 ... states that we “shall not turn away from God's Word, not to the right or the left”. Psalm 1:2 and Joshua 1:7-8 says that “the righteous person dwells on the Word of the Lord day and night”.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

1 Timothy 3:15​

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition​

15 if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Of course the Bible is true, the Catholic Church chose the 73 books of the Bible. Any text that did not comply with the Catholic faith, handed down through the Apostles, was rejected.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0