Sola Scriptura testing of all doctrine - or accept God's Prophets - but not both?

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK I got a tangential side question @The Liturgist.

It's obvious that saint Paul is not a big fan of women teachers in the Church. He definitely did not want female clergy, and those that taught basically taught in their home. So how is this problem dealt with? Is it that she is framed purely as a prophet because their were a few female prophets in the Judeo-Christian tradition?

It is complicated. Here is a summary of some of the issues.

Did Ellen White support the ordination of women?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As to what Ellen White has to say about her own role:

Some have stumbled over the fact that I said I did not claim to be a prophet and they have asked, Why is this?

I have had no claims to make, only that I am instructed that I am the Lord's messenger; that he called me in my youth to be his messenger, to receive his word, and to give a clear and decided message in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Early in my youth I was asked several times, Are you a prophet? I have ever responded, I am the Lord's messenger. I know that many have called me a prophet, but I have made no claim to this title. My Saviour declared me to be his messenger. "Your work," he instructed me, "is to bear my word. Strange things will arise, and in your youth I set you apart to bear the message to the erring ones, to carry the word before unbelievers, and with pen and voice to reprove from the Word actions that are not right. Exhort from the Word. I will make my Word open to you. It shall not be as a strange language. In the true eloquence of simplicity, with voice and pen, the messages that I give shall be heard from one who has never learned in the schools. My Spirit and my power shall be with you.

"Be not afraid of man, for my shield shall protect you. It is not you that speaketh: it is the Lord that giveth the messages of warning and reproof. Never deviate from the truth under any circumstances. Give the light I shall give you. The messages for these last days shall be written in books, and shall stand immortalized, to testify against those who have once rejoiced in the light, but who have been led to give it up because of the seductive influences of evil."

Why have I not claimed to be a prophet?--Because in these days many who boldly claim that they are prophets are a reproach to the cause of Christ; and because my work includes much more than the word "prophet" signifies. {RH, July 26, 1906}

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As to what Ellen White has to say about her own role:

The Question in the OP is a general one - I did not ask for Ellen White's view of the question. This is open to all denominations regarding the Bible teaching on sola-scriptura testing as well as the bible teaching about the function of the gift of prophecy. It is not an all-Ellen-White-all-the-time thread.

But since you are tossing that quote out --

Why have I not claimed to be a prophet?--Because in these days many who boldly claim that they are prophets are a reproach to the cause of Christ; and because my work includes much more than the word "prophet" signifies. {RH, July 26, 1906}

1 SM p 36 "I am now instructed that I am not to be hindered in my work by those who engage in suppositions regarding its nature, whose minds are struggling with so many intricate problems connected with the supposed work of a prophet. My commission embraces the work of a prophet, but it does not end there. It embraces much more than the minds of those who have been sowing seeds of unbelief can comprehend"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Women Prophets in the Bible:
Anna in the Temple at the time of Christ's dedication was "a woman".
Philip's two daughters were prophets.
1 Cor 14 "each one" has a revelation -- a lot of women prophets in the church of Corinth

Paul affirms this in 1Cor 14 -- he was not opposing it.

You can add in:

1Co 11:4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head,
1Co 11:5 but every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven.

Good Point - I left that out of my list.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Question in the OP is a general one - I did not ask for Ellen White's view of the question. This is open to all denominations regarding the Bible teaching on sola-scriptura testing as well as the bible teaching about the function of the gift of prophecy. It is not an all-Ellen-White-all-the-time thread.

You started the thread by pulling my quote from another conversation without my permission when we were talking about Ellen White's comments.

And I was responding to the other poster who asked.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You started the thread by pulling my quote from another conversation without my permission when we were talking about Ellen White's comments.

And I was responding to the other poster who asked.

My OP has no Ellen White context in it - agreed? And it does not mention you.

============= notice...

If you accept that God has modern/recent prophets there is no limiting factor. Inspired is inspired. So you can't say Scripture is what you judge things by.

Represents a flawed form of doctrine that (if true) would result in no first century NT Christian having any capacity to engage in sola-scriptura testing of any doctrine at all as long as they lived along with a NT Apostle/prophet or were members of the church in 1Cor 14 -- they would just wait for someone to tell them what to think and have no Bible doctrine at all using such flawed logic.

=====================

If I remember correctly on this thread you did say that one can do sola scriptura testing AND have a modern/contemporary prophet getting messages from God - as they did in the first century A.D. ... is that correct?

because that point has nothing to do with who-said-what when it comes to "am I a prophet". It specifically addresses the first century case and looks for general Bible doctrine on the topic.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My OP has no Ellen White context in it - agreed? And it does not mention you.

============= notice...

Represents a flawed form of doctrine that (if true) would result in no first century NT Christian having any capacity to engage in sola-scriptura testing of any doctrine at all as long as they lived along with a NT Apostle/prophet or were members of the church in 1Cor 14 -- they would just wait for someone to tell them what to think and have no Bible doctrine at all using such flawed logic.

=====================

If I remember correctly on this thread you did say that one can do sola scriptura testing AND have a modern/contemporary prophet getting messages from God - as they did in the first century A.D. ... is that correct?

because that point has nothing to do with who-said-what when it comes to "am I a prophet". It specifically addresses the first century case and looks for general Bible doctrine on the topic.

It has everything to do with who said what when you pull my quote from a different discussion. And I will discuss the topic, including Ellen White which was the basis of the discussion you pulled it from.

You essentially did a callout statement, prevented by the rules. I saw no reason to report, but I will respond based on the conversation you took it from.

• Winner
Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0