Soft On Closing Schools Because Weather?

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,232.00
Faith
Non-Denom
.‘We’re Getting Soft’: Governor Criticizes Cold Weather School Closings

So is Kentucky Governor wrong for suggesting America is getting too soft for educators closing schools in his state because of the cold? In my part of the country we were talking about this too as many schools closed for what years ago would have been considered a standard storm. In my sub-division half of the kids going to one school got it off while others had to go. In my youth of the 1960's I can't seem to remember anyone making such a big deal over it. In fact I used to deliver papers in the fiercest part of winter and trust me some of those days where snappers (meaning really really cold)

Have kids and grown ups becomes wimps today though? We just happened to be talking the other days about this and here we are just starting February much winter left potentially. In my region next week they're calling for considerably a great deal more snow and if kids keep getting multiple days off....what next...a teachers strike after that's over? How wonderful! May as well cancel the whole school year?
So Kentucky Governor was slammed as being insensitive! Right of wrong or maybe he makes a point?

‘We’re Getting Soft’: Governor Criticizes Cold Weather School Closings

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So is Kentucky Governor wrong for suggesting America is getting too soft for educators closing schools in his state because of the cold? In my part of the country we were talking about this too as many schools closed for what years ago would have been considered a standard storm. In my sub-division half of the kids going to one school got it off while others had to go. In my youth of the 1960's I can't seem to remember anyone making such a big deal over it. In fact I used to deliver papers in the fiercest part of winter and trust me some of those days where snappers (meaning really really cold)

Have kids and grown ups becomes wimps today though? We just happened to be talking the other days about this and here we are just starting February much winter left potentially. In my region next week they're calling for considerably a great deal more snow and if kids keep getting multiple days off....what next...a teachers strike after that's over? How wonderful! May as well cancel the whole school year?
So Kentucky Governor was slammed as being insensitive! Right of wrong or maybe he makes a point?

Did they close as many schools down during the huge storm in '78 (i believe it was)?

Make a comparison

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did they close as many schools down during the huge storm in '78 (i believe it was)?

Make a comparison

They did in my area of Ohio because of all the ice, nothing but 4 wheel drives w/chains and snowmobiles were getting around.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If the Gov himself spent 20 minutes waiting outside for a bus or walked a couple of miles through the early morning cold, then....if he still thinks school should have been open after that, then perhaps he's correct. Here in our own locality (not Kentucky), that was actually about -50F windchill....and, um, well, I kinda know what that outcome would be here in our own locality...

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,455.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

One term governor is what we call him. He's good at sticking his foot in his mouth. The wind chill factor was -21 degrees. The state saved money and maybe lives or serious injuries by shutting down schools for a couple of days.

Upvote 0