Visit site
✟16,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
heh funny i was just thinkin about 20 min ago about how 'Wow my parents are right now that i think about it... i do have a very social nature' i noticed this because a recent trend i have been noticing with myself is a craving to talk with people and socialize... when i'm not socializing with someone everything just feals so bland... i can't even play computer games unless i am actively socializing... didn't always use to be this bad but hey I can't realy complain as long as i have someone to socialize with... it makes life more interesting and you meet some of the nicest and coolest people around who you never would have met otherwise.

Upvote 0

latteda

You're not my nemesis
Jan 8, 2005
Southern US
✟14,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Must be why the thought of socializing in those kind of situations has never been appealing to me. I like structured environments. :)

What about the park or a walking trail or someplace like that? I've spontaneously met people there before. You end up walking by someone and you can strike up a conversation or something. I've been out in the park hanging out with friends and a guy and his kid invited us to join them toss around a football. A group of guys also invited me to learn Capoeira while they were practicing in the park one day. I don't know...it's the only idea that comes to mind. :)

Upvote 0

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I know I may very well get slated for saying this, but I'll say it anyway:D...

Ultimately, they type of people you spend your life with will be the people who influence you. For that reason, I think that while we should be "in the world", we shouldn't be "of the world". Bars and clubs are not the place to meet other Christians.

While I have non-Christian "friends" or "aquintances", I try to spend my time with my Christian friends from church. This is not to say that I close myself off from the world. Not at all. I'd invite my non-Christian friends to church stuff (BBQ's, special meetings etc).

Even though we are not perfect as Christians, we are the light of the world. People should see Christ in us. If we spend too much time in the wrong places, with the wrong people...eventually we will fall. It is far easier to be pulled off a pedistool than pull someone up onto one :thumbsup: That is why we should be wise in deciding who we spend time with.

I have no doubt that going walking, frequenting at coffee shops or going to the gym will result in meeting new people. I would use those occasions though to witness to someone and invite them to church.

I would try my best to get involved in a church as much as possible. See if they have Bible Studies, see if they all get together to have fellowship (singles groups, women retreats, BBQ's, meals out etc). That is one of the key elements in growing in your faith. Fellowship. If the church doesn't offer that outside of a Sunday; find another church.

If you put in the effort, you will soon make plenty of new friends within church. Your attitude will determine a lot of what you get out of your pursuit.

Upvote 0

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I mean this without being judgemental or pointing the finger; but maybe you need, in that case; to consider why you go to Bible Studies in the first place?

Perhaps you are focusing too much on "something" instead of looking to grow in the Lord? Putting something above God? It's easy to do. I've done it myself in many ways. If you are faithful in wanting to grow and learn from these studies and being in church first and foremost, I am sure the Lord will be faithful in giving you friends to share your life with;) Friends that will be worth keeping.

Oh, I agree...I just don't like "structured" activties, so church BBQ's are awesome, but I don't like Bible Studies. Been to tons, and I struggle sitting there and listening, having to be there for a certain start time and end time, etc. I don't get much out of it because I am usually looking for it to end, and of course I don't stand around to fellowship afterwards because I feel so much of my time was waisted in structured activity that I feel like a rat in a cage and just need to break free.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like structure.....

About socializing. I am not a very social person. I do not consider myself asocial, I am just not social. ;) (Some of you will say those are the same thing.) I am generally not one to chat up people in the grocery store or walking along a trail. I am one who generally keeps to myself and is quiet. I also do not like social places such as hanging out at bars, coffee shops, or even parties. I am not one who needs a great deal of friends, nor do I need positive strokes from others.

My mother and brother are the kind who talk to everyone everywhere. :)

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hiking, I understand what you mean about not liking structure, I just cannot for the life of me think of good places to socialize with people that aren't structured. Maybe the best would be to just talk to people after church. Do you have any pets? I know people sometimes hang out at dog parks for awhile and that might be a good place to chat people up. Maybe you could try going to a coffee shop and chatting with strangers there. Here's a suggestion for something more structured that you might not have thought of... Have you considered doing some volunteer work? That's a decent way to meet some really nice people and help your community out at the same time. It's structured but it's something people don't think about often for meeting people, so I thought I'd throw that out there. Sorry, I really don't have many good ideas here :(

Upvote 0

Riddik7

I'm The Captain Of This Paper Boat!
Aug 21, 2009
Holloman AFB
Visit site
✟16,628.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i think there a diferen't types of social...

there's the kind where you need to talk to someone but don't talk to alot of strangers in person... maybe online or with friends and family...

and then there's the kind where you just need to talk up a storm with anyone anywhere...

and then the kind where u just enjoy meeting and talking to new diferent people...

i'm the first... i just need to talk to people :p keeps me sane lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

StarryEyes

I like structure.....

About socializing. I am not a very social person. I do not consider myself asocial, I am just not social. ;) (Some of you will say those are the same thing.) I am generally not one to chat up people in the grocery store or walking along a trail. I am one who generally keeps to myself and is quiet. I also do not like social places such as hanging out at bars, coffee shops, or even parties. I am not one who needs a great deal of friends, nor do I need positive strokes from others.

My mother and brother are the kind who talk to everyone everywhere. :)
That sounds very similar to me.. only my mom and brother are a lot like that too.. and so is my dad ^_^ I enjoy going places and smiling at people I walk past, or saying a friendly greeting or something like that, but to just walk up to someone and start chitchatting.. nope.

I tend to keep to myself also.. however, I'm beginning to see more and more beauty in opening up.. to the right people.. although I'm struggling to find passages in the Bible on this topic. Anyone have any references?

Proverbs 2:11 (King James Version)

11Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:

I found that, but that sounds like the opposite.. so I'm rather confused.

Upvote 0

BarelyBreathing

Everything is Beautiful
Sep 1, 2009
Middle of nowhere
✟18,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
StarryEyes said:
That sounds very similar to me.. only my mom and brother are a lot like that too.. and so is my dad ^_^ I enjoy going places and smiling at people I walk past, or saying a friendly greeting or something like that, but to just walk up to someone and start chitchatting.. nope.

I tend to keep to myself also.. however, I'm beginning to see more and more beauty in opening up.. to the right people.. although I'm struggling to find passages in the Bible on this topic. Anyone have any references?

I am like you where I smile at people all the time when I pass them. I am very friendly and comfortable in social situations, I just do not prefer them at all.

I have never looked up Bible verses. I bet we could find some. ;)

In response to what Riddik7 says, I agree that there are just different social types. That's why most personality inventories have introvert/extrovert scales, and even it is not as simplistic as that, because how your other types fall interacts with each other. So, how are intro/extroversion is manifested is determined by a number of other factors.

Extroverts are activated by people, which is what I see those in this thread talking about when they discuss their social inclinations.

Upvote 0

PaulDavid

NOOB
Aug 7, 2009
Zombies. Yes, Zombies.
✟15,735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Structure --> Security --> Safety --> Comfort --> Lowered Guard --> Openness --> Happiness
OK - I still don't get it???

I'm going to teach you how to fish today. :)

Ok...

Romans 5:3,4 " And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:"

Is to

Tribulation --> patience --> experience --> Hope

as

Is to

Structure --> Security --> Safety --> Comfort --> Lowered Guard --> Openness --> Happiness

Upvote 0

PaulDavid

NOOB
Aug 7, 2009
Zombies. Yes, Zombies.
✟15,735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

You have to look at the book from all angles. Who wrote it, why did they write it, what was their purpose, what message did they wish to relay?

The book of Psalms is a book "of the heart" Proverbs is a book "Of the mind".

I'll put something together for you to readeth when I'm not flogged with tasks

Upvote 0